main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thats it, I'm leaving the JC..........

Discussion in 'Communications' started by malkieD2, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    ..........and I'll be back in an hour and a half.

Seriously folks, there seems to be an increasing number of "I'm leaving" threads in the YJCC. Ok, I don't have to read them, but it gets highly annoying to see on average two new threads a day from people saying they are leaving, only to return in a few months, weeks, even days.

Today's Threads
    Now I too must say goodbye...
    Farewell....

My Favourite Thread in the genre
    Taking a few days off

What purpose do these threads actually serve ?

Darth_AYBABTU put it very well when he said :-

So what good is this thread then? Every one of us stops posting at some point during the day, and we can never be sure that we'll make another post here. In your case, you're simply taking a break from the JC. These goodbye threads are useless, especially when they contain such a blatant disclaimer as "most likely I'll return..."

If that's the case, then this isn't a goodbye thread, is it? It's just a vacation thread. Part of the problem with the JC are vanity posts such as this. It's not social threads or appreciation threads. It's threads that serve no purpose other than to specifically and blatantly call attention to their creator, often concerning some mundane or trivial activity like taking a week or two off from the boards.

And those threads are a function of the "ME FIRST!" mentality that is all too prevalent here. But what can the mods do about that? That isn't something that they can easily of effectively moderate. It's a pervasive attitude of self-importance and deluded superiority. It's a mentality that must change. The way to bring about that change is for the online community to call it out when it happens, such as in this very thread. Make people aware that the behavior will not be appreciated. The mods should make people aware that the behavior will not be tolerated.

I was prompted by Bria to post a thread here asking for some sort of rule - perhaps a "I'm leaving the JC for X number of days/weeks/months" along the lines of the "I'm made so many posts" thread.

Ideas ?

malkie

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Everyone who posts one of these threads should automatically be perm-banned. That should show us how many of these people are serious. ;)

Edit:
    Oh yeah, the moment these people come back, whether under the same name, or as a sock, their "goodbye" thread should be locked.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Personally, I think these threads are a fad, and they will pass in time. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of them to this point, and probably will be still more in the near future.

I don't know if the people making them realize that most others get more and more tired of them with each new one.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Ha! I was about to lock this as another "I'm leaving" thread until I actually read it. Don't do this to me! [face_laugh]

5. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

First, nice title.

Secondly, there was a rule about these threads proposed in the YJCC reform plan from a while back, so I'm curious as to what happened to said reform plan; it had some pretty good ideas in it.

6. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    dude, that entire reform was a bust.

i say if someone starts a ranting/crying/bitching goodbye thread because someone hurt their feelings...and then comes back within a month, they should be banned for a month. that'll teach 'em to not do that **** again.

7. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    edit: I'm glad you appreciate the title of this thread. It was chosen to evote the exact feeling "Argh, yet another "I'm leaving" thread, I'd better lock it quick". I've made my point ;)

Is it really a fad ? I was told today that back in the summer of 99 (after the JC became popular) that there were numerous "I'm leaving for the summer" threads as people didn't think they'd be posting while they were not at school.

There was a parody thread with the exact same title as this thread, together with the "back in an hour and a half". I'm confident today that a "I'm leaving" parody thread would be locked pretty quick.

Unfortuneately, I don't think people will notice that "I'm leaving" threads are being ridiculed as I'm sure they'd think their "I'm leaving" was important, and worthy of its own thread.

I'd like to see some sort of ruling on the matter along the lines of my suggestion.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Yes, I think it's a fad, because until not too long ago, there hadn't been many of those threads, and I hadn't heard a word about them in some time.

I think they picked up a few weeks ago, and now they're the popular thing to do among many, it seems.

9. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

It was a bust? Well that's just lovely.

Anyway, just get rid of them altogether. You can always contact your friends and tell them you're going away; the whole board doesn't need to know.

10. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Griff, the reform was never actually followed...the JCC Mods were erratic and inconsistent in their moderation of the JCC. They've admitted not following the Reform (and hell, not even knowing the Reform in some instances).

As of now, the Administration are revising the Reform. Apparently problems in the JCC have arisen from the Reform, despite the fact that it was never enforced.

So yeah....these Goodbye threads were supposed to be a part of the Reform....but it isnt enforced consistently.

11. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    i don't see any harm in the types of goodbye threads where someone is leaving for a prolonged period of time because of outside factors. but if someone starts a goodbye thread because they're going fishing this weekend or because they're mad at the world, then something needs to be done about it. TEH BAN! then they'll get a vacation for sure.

12. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    What gets me are the people that leave and announce they're not going to talk to anyone from the boards anymore. There have been several of these lately.

13. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Anyway, just get rid of them altogether. You can always contact your friends and tell them you're going away; the whole board doesn't need to know.

Exactly. If I was to leave I'd just PM the people I PM on a regular basis, and perhaps leave a line in the social threads I hang out in.

Simple as that.

So, here we have a Comms thread without any drama. How about a line in the next mod squad that reminds people of the original reform that frowned upon "I'm leaving threads" ?

Thanks

malkie

edit: yes, perhaps if you banned the accounts of people who say they are leaving, with the message that they have to complete an unban form to re-open their account. That might deter people from leaving for a few days.

I agree that there are some legitimate threads such as the "I've been drafted" thread where people actually are leaving the JC for some time.

They would be warmly welcomed upon their return, especially if they have some interest stories about their draft, or mission or whatever.

14. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Sorry to hear that Dagsy. :\

But it's nice that we all seem to be on a similar wavelength here.

15. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Just for asking, why are you so offended by the I'm Leaving threads? Yes, some are parodies and aren't about actually leaving. Those are bad. But why begrudge someone publically saying that they aren't going to be around anymore? Yeesh.

16. Elf

Elf Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 21, 1998
    I was about ready to post a thread like this until my friend Malkie did so. I am so tired of seeing these stupid threads from 14-16 year olds telling us they are leaving the JC.

We need ONE THREAD where people can post that they won't be around for awhile. I think that even this is too much...but if it needs to be done..

17. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    i'm especially fond of your wavelength, grippz. [face_love]

18. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I like the "leaving" thread. It's nice to say good-bye to people although you may be back. You can come to know someone over the net that you love speaking to. I love speaking to so many people, it's nice to know I can just post a thread saying good-bye to them if I'm really serious about only posting a little.

I agree with KW, it's a fad that will pass, because most likely, the person will be back, pending on the person.

But let them stay for now.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't see a problem with one of these threads on occasion, particularly when it's someone who's contributed a lot here(although paradoxically, those people don't leave like that very often).

I don't know about creating an official thread for this, but it would probably solve things for the short term.

20. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Just for asking, why are you so offended by the I'm Leaving threads?

I'm not exactly offended, its just that I find the attention seeking (which the majority are) rather annoying.

You don't see the MODs creating such threads when they step down or leave for a while - its all neatly packaged in the Mod Squad Update where we can view it if we like. Similarly we could have a "I'm leaving for X days" for the regular users.

malkie

21. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I don't really pay attention to them, however to each their own. But I'm sure in the future, the Admin will have some kind of official position on this. Let them be for now, perhaps create an official thread as Elf suggested.

22. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It's like any other thread that's successful in the JCC. The copycatters are the ones that screw it up.

23. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    There are also a proliferation of "Happy Birthday <insert person here>" threads as well.

If the goodbye threads and Happy Birthday threads are not permitted in Community, then you would surely get "What the hell happened to <insert person here>?"

If you don't like the goodbye threads, do what a lot of people do in when they come across one the many Community Chat threads... skip over them.

I agree with The Liz on this issue.

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    yes KrystalBlaze I see your point, but the problem I'm having is that I've never even heard of the majority of the people who are leaving (albeit that I'm a newbie), and neither have most of the JC.

I'm sure if AYBABTU, or Ignant or PiaS left there would be a huge thread in the JC, yet as Knightrider suggests these people never leave (despite how much money you offer them).

malkie

edit:If you don't like the goodbye threads...skip over them.

Well, you could say that about any spammy thread in the JC. Should we let anything go, then spend hours flitering through the rubbish to find the few decent social and interesting threads ?

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The thing is, we can't just leave some of them, and get rid of others, unless we want to hear complaints about it not being fair. We can't base them on how long the person has been a member, or on how many posts the person has. There are people who have been here for a couple months who have contributed more than people who registered in 98. There are people with around 1,000 posts who haven contributed more than people with 10,000+ posts.

In the end, it'd come down to a judgement call, and I know it's not a call I'd really want to have to make. These threads probably are important to the person who posted them, and the people who consider that person a friend.

Perhaps the best thing to do is ignore them when you don't know or don't like the person leaving. Let them say goodbye to their friends, let their friends say goodbye to them, and leave it at that. It should sink rather quickly, and won't get in your way.

These threads partially seem popular due to the decent number of replies they get. Many people dream to get a thread with over X replies. Many dream to become popular here. If you got rid of all the "What's with people leaving?" and "I don't know who you are, but bye anyways.", type of posts in these threads, they'd be a lot smaller, and would sink to the depths of the JCC a lot quicker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.