main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thats it, I'm leaving the JC..........

Discussion in 'Communications' started by malkieD2, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Or Administrator!

2. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Or Supreme Chancellor!

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Watch the JCC for, say, two weeks. If there are more than ... I don't know, pick a number... 5 "I'm leaving" threads over the course of those two weeks (and I'm not including parody threads), then consider making an 'official' thread.

good idea. There were three new ones yesterday, so only two to go - right ?

malkie

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I bet it won't be retroactive, Malkie. To that I say :(

5. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    hmm - no official word from the mods on that one yet.

Ignant - I view it as a win-win situation. If there are no more "I'm leaving threads" in the next two weeks then I'll be happy. If there are more threads resulting in an official one, then I'll still be happy.

yeh !

malkie

6. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm not upset with Goodbye threads if they have a good reason to leave. Grilled-Sarlacc had a good reason to leave, and of he was to announce that thats why he left we would understand completely.

Another anonymous JC'er just "left" becuase their post count was at 1,000. That's not a good reason to leave, and thats why I have problems with goodbye threads.

No offense to that JC'er, as he is already back and posting.

7. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Connemara deserved a thread like that, she really will be missed, but c'mon, some of these people?

I think seriously, if you're going to go out, go out with a bang, do what farraday did, post a thread telling everybdoy to act their age, don't neccessarily use profanity if you don't want, just make it clear why you're leaving, who you hate, who you'll miss, and all of that shazzam.

If Connemara comes back, we'll all be glad to see her back, and we won't mention her farewell thread and rub it in her face...it was the same with farraday's return...when JediWarrior came back...BBYD returning....all had started threads about their leaving, and then many months or years later actually came back. *shrugs* that's fine. But c'mon, gonzoforce is at best a midbie, and was leaving for a freaking *week* to get caught up with schoolword! :eek:

edit: Malkie, you got my hopes up when I saw this thread ;)

8. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Malkie, you got my hopes up when I saw this thread

[face_hurt]

see my previous post about offering money, and I'll see what I can do :D

;)

malkie

9. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    :: Looks for any mods ::

[Mr.Burns]Eeeeeeeeeeexcellent[/Mr.Burns]

*Ahem*

To all those that post "I'm leaving" threads, this is what you say.....

" I'm leaving, I have several great years here, but lately the JC ha gone downhill blah blah blah....."

This is what we hear

[edited]

Edit:eek:k the image doesn't love me, you'll just have to settle for a link.

YJ edit: Inappropriate link

10. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm leaving

with the typical comment "this is my last post until I come back"

malkie

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    In shinjo's case, I can see it actually being true.

12. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    its true that he won't be back until his next post ?

I won't be back until my next post either.

malkie

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    No, that he'll be gone for awhile.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Connemara deserved a thread like that, she really will be missed, but c'mon, some of these people?

How could we ever enforce that distinction? No mod is qualified to decide (or should even be asked to decide) who's important enough to get their own goodbye thread and who isn't. It has to be all or none.

15. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    still though, he's coming back.

Put a comment in your sig and bio, say goodbye to your friends in your social threads or by PM, then wonder off happily into the sunset.

malkie

16. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Considering he's scottish, Malkie makes alot of sense.

17. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    If he is coming back or not, and the duration of his absence is irrevelant. It is still an "I'm leaving" thread in the JC.

malkie

p.s. Even though I've been bottle fed whisky since birth, I occasionally show signs of intelligence.

18. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    If Connemara comes back, we'll all be glad to see her back, and we won't mention her farewell thread and rub it in her face.

Speak for yourself...

19. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I, too find these "goodbye" threads really annoying. And they are just another form of teh JC drama.

20. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    "How could we ever enforce that distinction? No mod is qualified to decide (or should even be asked to decide) who's important enough to get their own goodbye thread and who isn't. It has to be all or none."

In a politically-correct world, yes. But I think the mods get a chance to practise their discretionary skills so often in deciding if Chryen is 'spamming', that they're probably well-versed enough to know, if you have an 02-03 username, chances are you should lock the thread with rare exceptions. Yes, people have big egos and like to think they'll be missed, but really, speaking for myself, its not our job to be happy mr flirtaciousSock and make them feel good about themselves, just remind them its needless drama.

Compare Connemara's farewell thread with Amidala_Wannabe's...case in point, right there. There's few JCers that didn't know Connemara a *lot* better than they knew Amidala_Wannabe, and she was a lot kinder in her farewell thread, it was a bittersweet parting, it deserved a thread. Amidala_Wannabe? ?[face_plain] Drama Overkill if you ask me.

If Vertical starts a "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" thread, you're telling me that's the same as Shinjo's masturbatory thread? ?[face_plain] C'mon, we can't be politically correct *and* exercise common sense...

21. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    I just skip over 99% of the g'bye threads unless I recognize the username, and then will stop to read the first post, to ascertain if he/she is actually leaving.

22. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I find these threads a perfect opportunity to practice my angsty sarcasm. I say we let them be as long as the responders are allowed to poke fun at them for being so self-involved.

99% of the people that made a difference to the JC just disappearred, and that's exactly why they were valuable to the JC.

23. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    As it's been brought up in here, I thought I'd point out exactly what the Reform said on good-bye threads: "I'm leaving/back" threads - If the mods tried to put time limits on this, we will look petty and no one will pay attention anyway. So, again, we just decided to use good judgment. If the thread is serious, let it go. If it is "I'm leaving.......to take out the garbage", we will lock it and warn the author for spamming.

I agree with that. It's impossible to put limits on this if they are allowed.

My personal feelings on the issue is that I'd rather a user PM friends and put a line in their sig if they are leaving, but at the same time I have no problem with seeing them make a goodbye thread.

I know many people don't like them though. So don't post to them. Just ignore it. Posting sarcastically probably extends the life of the thread because replying brings the thread back to the top. Sometimes other users jump in to also be sarcastic and it goes on and on. I feel that sarcastic replies to these threads are as much an issue as the threads themselves. The people being sarcastic say they are sick of the threads, and I'm sure they are, but they are also making the situation worse. Some say the threads are seeking attention. If you believe that, then don't give it to them. The thread will sink quickly enough. Be responsibile for the way you post.

24. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    But the sarcasm in the goodbye threads is really the only fun left that's not against the rules in the JCC. You can't take that away from us.

25. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002

Well, there is sarcasm against trolls, but that might dissapear soon too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.