main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph That's Some Casting Director: "Catch Me If You Can" (2002)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Some movies have terrific casts without being all-star vehicles (see for instance, "Murder on the Orient Express"). It's hard to do these days, but not impossible.

For instance: "Adams Family Values" (1993). Besides an excellent cast which includes Anjelica Huston, Raul Julia, Christopher Lloyd, Joan Cusack, Carol Kane and Christina Ricci, I spotted at least three people in bit parts who were destined to become a lot more famous very shortly:

The emergency room doctor is played by David Hyde Pierce (you can spot him by his voice);

The desk cop is played by Nathan Lane.

The Spanish sailor in the bar scene is played by Tony Shaloub.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I can't think of a better cast than the one they came up with for the original Addams Family.

3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..the thing that really kills me was that those movies were so painful to sit thru..

The cast ALMOST make it bearable, but.. man, what were those people thinking?

4. large_mammal

large_mammal Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    Whatever.
    Granted, the first "Addams Family" sucked - but "Family Values" was comedy gold for the Camp Chippewa scenes alone.

5. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...okay, i'll grant you that that stuff WAS kinda funny...

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The cast and visuals make up for the crazy plots

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Every cast member in those movies is pitch perfect.

8. large_mammal

large_mammal Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    "...If my Mom uses a fabric softener - I'll die."

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Watching "The Bounty" (1984) starring Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins on television the other night and whom do I see smouldering along in the role of a minor heavy? Daniel Day-Lewis. And in another small supporting role: Liam Neeson.

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "The Quick and the Dead" (1993)

The headliners at the time were Gene Hackman and Sharon Stone (aka hammy and wooden), but this film also has the very young Leonardo DiCaprio and pre-Gladiator Russell Crowe in supporting roles. Also Gary Sinise, Roberts Blossom and Lance Hendriksen in smaller roles.

11. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    It was more luck than anything,Leo had done Growing Pains,and well at least people will look back at QATD,and Russel Crowe had bit parts...

12. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    Crowe had actually starred in a few films here in Australia before he got this part. Stone noticed him in Romper Stomper where he plays the leader of a group of neo-nazi skinheads who spend their time beating up asian migrants. Apparently she went in to bat for him and is the reason he was in the film.

13. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Stone hired Raimi after seeing Army of Darkness(akward)

14. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Perhaps Stone chose the wrong career, let her get into casting. If I remember correctly she pushed hard for Leo as well. I like this movie in spite of Stone. I think she's a lousy actress and brings down the film. Its a shame that she was the star of the film and the biggest name at the time. Despite Stone's presence I still enjoy this movie & think its a lot of fun.

15. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ^^I'm with Django.

The movie is tremendously sytlish and ridiculously fun, all in spite of the entirely dreadful Stone. What a tremendous supporting cast! (Also have to include Pat Hingle and Keith David)..

There are some funny anecdotes in Bruce Campbell's "If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-movie actor" about Sam Raimi's experiences on the set of "the Quick and the Dead".. Both Stone and Hackman come off as sounding like they're pretty difficult to work with..

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I really quite enjoy The Quick and the Dead, mostly for Russell Crowe's absolute BAD-*** performance towards the end.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Q and the D is one of my favorite bad movies. It's practically made of cheddar, but is still irresistably watchable, with the rather large exception of Stone.

Next: "The Magnificent Seven" (1960)

Remember that when this film was made, only Yul Brynner was a star.

The cast included: Steve McQueen (stealing scenes 50 ways from Friday); Charles Bronson (stoic); James Coburn (his introduction in the movie has him saying two words: "You lose"); Robert Vaughan; Horst Buchholz (a German actor playing a Mexican); and Eli Wallach (a New York Jew playing a Mexican).

18. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I love this movie. Its a blast. What a superb cast. This is the film that launched Steve McQueen to stardom. All his scene stealing paid off. This was also the beginning for James Coburn & Charles Bronson, who would go on to form a nice on-screen duo a few more times after this film. Sergio Leone used several stars from the film, as well as their images, to great effect in his films. The DVD is worth buying. Lots of good stories and almost as much fun as the film itself. Love the music of the trailer. 7-7-7.

19. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ..yeah, it's tough to argue against that cast..

I still have never seen the movie all the way thru to the end (picked up the DVD when it was dirt-cheap), but what i've seen is good stuff..

It pains me, these days, to see Robert Vaughn winding down his career doing law-firm commercials for SAM BERNSTEIN. I'm tempted to make a movie just to give him some real work!

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Fantastic cast! One of the all time great ensembles: Coburn, Bronson and Vaughan are outstanding, taking essentially small roles and just making them larger than life. And Wallach's villianous turn is magnificent.

It's not better than The Seven Samurai, but it is a fabulous, fabulous movie.

21. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Great movie. First time we see Wallach as an evil mexican. This was the first flick I've seen McQueen in, and he was so slick. I can go on and on prasing this movie.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    And of course, "The Godfather". Marlon Brando was the only name in the cast when it was released in 1972.

The cast included:
    Al Pacino
    James Caan
    Robert Duvall, and
    Diane Keaton, all of whom became stars.

It also included John Cazale, who died young after five movies (all succesful); John Marley; Richard Conte; Abe Vigoda; Alex Rocco; and Talia Shire.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I just can't get over Cazale - every movie of his is a five star effort, or so they say.

But, yes, this is a fantastic movie and the cast is pitch perfect.

24. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant casting and performances from all most everyone(Talia Shire falls a little short at times but we can forgive her)

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "Diner" (1982)

This was the first big movie for Steve Guttenberg, Daniel Stern, Ellen Barkin, Mickey Rourke, Kevin Bacon and Paul Reiser.

It's kind of depressing to see their fates. Guttenberg and Stern over-exposed themselves in too many bad movies. Rourke over-exposed himself, period. Barkin married money. Reiser has gone back to writing. Only Kevin has had a fairly consistent career.