main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO The 2005 St. Louis Cardinals-Now With Minty Pennant Power!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by chiss_man, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draco19

Draco19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    Me to I hope he gets the Cy Young award, he played very well this year. I think he only had 11 losses for the year, which I think is pretty good for a pitch, probably not the best, but still good. On a sad note, the old busch has been hit by the recking ball. They say to expect a gaping hole by tomorrow, **sigh*** oh well. can't wait to go to a game in the new Busch.

2. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    Actually Carpenter only had like 7 loses.

Oh and Angels pitcher Bartolo Colon won AL CY Young.

3. Draco19

Sep 12, 2005
    I misjudged my stats, and I may be wrong, but according to ESPN. com Chirs had a record this season of 21 - 5 this year and a career total of 85 - 60 , which is very good in my opinion. I hope that the team gets a lot of good players in teh off season, without loosing any of the good ones we have from this year. GO CARDS, GOOD LUCK NEXT SEASON !!!! =D=

4. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    Congrats to the National League CY Young Winner
    Chris Carpenter!
    [face_dancing] =D=

Well deserved! :)

I can't even remember the last time we had a Cy Young winner.

This just made my day! :)

5. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Last Cardinal was Bob Gibson. He won it in '68 (possibly '69) and then again in 1970.

Carpenter deserved it - good for him

6. Notclown-Joker

Notclown-Joker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
  7. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    SWEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!

Cards 1B Albert Pujols has won the NL MVP! [face_dancing]

It is about time. =D=

I'm so happy! :_| :)

8. Draco19

Sep 12, 2005
    I'm glad carpenter won the cy young, he deserved it with the season he had this year. CONGRAT'S CHRIS !!!!!=D=

9. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    While I was away, I didn't get to recognize the accomplishments of our two major award winners. CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS CARPENTER AND ALBERT PUJOLS! Both deserved their awards, and I am glad to see them get the national recognizition that had been so denied for so long.

Anyway, back to business. Abraham Nunez and John Mabry are gone, to the Phillies and Cubs respectively. And yet, the Cardinals have yet to make a move to shore up any area of the team! Brian Giles, the alleged #1 priority, just resigned with San Diego from what I hear. There has been no progress on the AJ Burnett front, and big name bullpen pitchers such as Kyle Farnsworth and Billy Wagner have both been taken off the market. I've been hearing rumblings we may go after Jacque Jones from Minnesota, which would be a good outfield replacement. But I'm still firmly convinced we are a bullpen arm and good bat away from being the favorites again. If we can make a big named signing along with Jones, I do believe we'd be the favorites in the National League again. We just need to put forth a bit more cash.

10. Draco19

Sep 12, 2005
    I just hope we make the aquisition we need in the off-season to make our team stronger and hopefully get a world series title to add to the new busch next year. On that note, not much of the old busch is left, and the new one is coming along great, can't wait till next season. let's hope for a good one.

11. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Finally, we start to make some moves

The Winter Meetings began today, and so we signed Devi Cruz and Gary Bennett, essentially filling the holes left in the roster by Abraham Nunez and Einar Diaz. I think those are good moves, both are solid major league players, and I can't wait to see them contribute next year. But on to more serious business: apparently the Toronto Blue Jays have made A.J. Burnett a 5 year, $55 million offer. That's far more than our offer of 4 years, $40 millionish. Maybe we'll raise the stakes? I don't know, but my gut says Burnett is going to rot in Toronto. Even with him, they won't get past Boston and New York in division. But ah well. If we don't get him, Jacque Jones seems to be the lucky winner of our money for the outfield. I like that move quite a bit, our starting rotation is fine enough as is, IMO. And then maybe we can get a couple arms for the 'pen. Interesting times ahead!

12. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    Yeah, according to ESPN Burnett is expected to sign the five-year deal from Toronto.

So it is 98% a sure thing that the Cards will miss out but hey, more money to use for outfield and bullpen help.

13. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    And according to ESPNEWS right now, Burnett has indeed signed with Toronto. Expect to hear us going hard after Jones in the next few hours.

14. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    We traded King to the Rockies for outfielder Bigbie and 2B A. Miles.

Nothing big yet.

Rumor is Manny might be traded from the Red Sox to the Bal. O's for Tejada.

15. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Don't even get me started on that. We're going from Reggie Sanders and Larry Walker in the outfield to Larry Bigbie and someone else. Sheesh. And Mark Grudzielanek, Ray King, Julian Tavarez and probably Matt Morris are going to be gone. We're regressing instead of progressing. Unless we pull off a couple good deals in the next few weeks, I'm not feeling optimistic about our chances.

16. Draco19

Sep 12, 2005
    I hope we can put a good team together for next season.

17. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    It's official!

Matt Morris has signed with the Giants.

I'm don't really care, Reyes can take his place in the rotation and he is a better pitcher!

18. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah, but is Anthony ready to be a full time Major League starter on a team with World Series aspirations? That's what concerns me, he's got the skills sure, but he's light on experience.

19. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    We signed reliever Rincon, he will replace King.

And J. Jones has denied arbitration from the Twins.

20. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Hmmm, maybe we can do something with him after all then!

21. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    The Cards were interested in Vasquez but we missed out.

He was traded from Arizona with cash to the W. Sox for a minor league outfielder and two pitchers.

22. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    Other free agent news:

Bill Mueller signed a 2 year deal with the Dodgers.

Carl Everett signed a 1 year deal with Mariners with option for 2007.

And Nomar may play first base if he signs with the Yankees. :confused:

If only the Cards would do something to impact the team, we may still be the favorites in the division. But if we don't make a move that can really improve the team, it woun't matter come playoff time next year.

23. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Cardinals Sign Braden Looper

I like this move, quite a bit. He obviously wants to play here, and I expect him to really put forth his best effort. And while he had difficulty at times nailing down games in New York, he'll be under less pressure here since he'll be set-up with Rincon for Izzy. However, I still think one more arm, maybe from our farm system, maybe another signing, is needed. Plus we still need a second baseman. We're making positive progress, but we're not there yet.

24. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    I'd rather us sign an outfielder or second baseman before another arm for the bullpen.

If need be I think maybe Wainwright could be in the bullpen, and maybe have a spot start or two. It would give him some major league experence and let the Cards fans see what he can do.

I think we could trade J. Gall for an outfielder or second baseman. The Cards have said they don't think he'll ever be a full time major league player for them. Perhaps they could trade him to an American League team for an impact player.

25. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I had really hoped we could pull off a deal for Bill Mueller from Boston, but he signed with LA I think. A shame, he could have easily moved to second and he has an impact bat. I'm wondering who else is avaliable now, that we could get. It'd be hilarious if somehow we convince Nomar to come here and play second, but that ain't happenin'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.