main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2018 Box Office Blood Ocean

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2017.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, y'know, inflation... :p

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    a concept that has not yet been taught to the core marvel demographic

it awaits them in eighth grade

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's fair, though I'm not sure the padded room crowd who love the DCEU grasp that concept either... :p

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait...

You're telling me Disney ISN'T paying off Rotten Tomato?

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dp, plz tell your people to get the words in their funnies right.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'd say with the Tolkien films, specifically, The Hobbit trilogy, those films were trending downwards with each film.

Same with the Transformers and Pirates franchise; both trending downwards and the Sony produced Spider-Man films. And because of the downward trend, Sony struck a deal with Marvel to be part the MCU.

Since, Fantastic Beasts was included, the Potter franchise also trended downward with that addition and may continue that way with the follow up film to Fantastic Beasts.

The Star Wars sequel trilogy is trending downwards, and might be the case with the anthology film, depending on Solo.

Black Panther and Infinity War are most likely to increase the MCU per average film, but Ant-Man and the Wasp will probably lower the average again. However, MCU "solo" films tend to trend upwards with their "solo" follow up films with each Iron Man; Thor; Captain America and Guardian of the Galaxy films performing better at the box office than the predecessors.

The MCU has two films in the Top 10 Grossing Movies of all time (not adjusted for inflation (not that it's really considered)), with Black Panther and Infinity War yet to complete their run at the box office.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I got you on this one heelsy! Axe grinding commence!

Ha! Yes! **** you, Marvel! Below Transformers and Pirates is pathetic, it really is. You barely even beat....

Oh dear.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And that's all without adding Black Panther's totals into the equation.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Infinity War moved up a week, which seems pretty motivated by box office cuz Disney wouldn't want it to cut into Han Solo. Only 3 weeks apart always seemed kinda dopey considering Star Wars and Marvel are generally Disney's highest grossers, especially if IW has a run as good or better than Black Panther. So a whole month should give IW a pretty solid stretch on it's own and then Solo comes in and makes another boatload of cash.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, there is nothing coming out before Solo that might dent IW box office.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm starting to wonder about Wrinkle in Time. Like, gorgeous poster, sure. And the basketball scene in the trailer is actually interesting. But the rest? Rather unimpressive trailers and TV spots. Feels very generic. Not as bad as Valerian, but kinda Valerian meets Willy Wonka. But I understand it's a very popular book. So I'm curious to see if it can get by with just fans of the book, because it doesn't seem to be trying to attract anyone else.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's this years Tomorrowland.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Could be worse: it could be this year's "Mars Needs Moms," which I think was a bigger flop than Tomorrowland.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it'll be worse than that. Tomorrowland at least had a hook to it that was conveyed clearly in the trailers. Audiences just weren't interested, apparently (or were affected by the mixed reviews).

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That would be some going. Tomorrowland grossed $209 million on a $190 million budget.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I just checked: Mars Needs Moms grossed less than $40 million on a $150 million budget.

A Wrinkle in Time would have to massively flop to surpass that in stinkiness.

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    In terms of live action, Tomorrowland did slightly worse than John Carter, which did slightly worse than Lone Ranger, but they're all in the same ballpark of failure, and Wrinkle should land right there with them at about 1.1-1.2 times budget, worldwide, unless the marketing is wildly off the mark.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  21. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    On a completely unrelated, man did MGM pick the worst possible time to release a Death Wish remake.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's weird, I totally thought the movie would be worthless (and it likely is), but I'm at least morbidly curious to see what it's like now that I know that Eli Roth is doing the remake... that's like perfectly in his wheelhouse...

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Is there anything other than morbid curiosity that could induce anyone to see any Eli Roth movie?

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i actually thought cabin fever was pretty fun and had somewhat high hopes for him after that but... yeah.

BigAl6ft6, Rylo Ken and dp4m like this.