main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2020 Box Office Blood Quarantine

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 10, 2020.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the inability to advertise the film due to the double controversies seemingly hurt the film's performance more than COVID did in China.

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Box Office Remains Soft.

-Tenet dropped 30% domestically for a $4.7m haul and $36.1 domestic total so far.
    -Opened strong in Japan with $4.3m.
    -International stands at $214m.
    -Worldwide total stands at $250m.

-Mulan dropped 72% in China to $6.5m and a $36.2m total there, with piracy, low reviews and poor word of mouth being big factors in addition to the lack of advertising.
    -Mulan's international total stands at $57m.
    -Chinese film The Eight Hundred will soon cross the the $430m global mark to pass Bad Boys For Life as the top grossing film of 2020.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    1. What is the difference between “worldwide” and “international?”

2. Another successful year for Will Smith!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    International = non-domestic (US/CA) total, Worldwide = domestic + international total.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    When you are good at spinning:

Rogue1-and-a-half and Luke02 like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, he's not wrong- a lot of these movies were being used to test the waters and see what a low-performance, longer-run release could do under current conditions. NM probably wouldn't have been a big hit due to word of mouth under normal conditions, but that ~$20m domestic total would probably translate to about $60m-$80m normally. So, it'd be on the way breaking even, at the very least.

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I don't know if there's a correlation or a multiplier you can use for what a film is making under current circumstances vs. what it would make it normal ones. Take Unhinged for instance, I doubt that would make much more than it currently is under a normal scenario.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Unlike others, Unhinged probably benefited from a relative lack of competition. In a "normal" scenario it would have had a hard time getting enough screens

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's certainly variation to be found, but you can apply auditorium capacity reduction (at least 50%) due to social distancing and screen count/market share reduction (~20-25% between NY, LA, etc) due to lockdowns and get you a rough idea of where a film's performance would likely stand.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Hocus Pocus still has a lot of magic left at the North American box office.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Was Tent at #1 globally for a long while? that has to be some kind of record, well, technically.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Anime movie Demon Slayer is currently crushing all sorts of box office records

Rylo Ken likes this.
  13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That movie is really playing out of this world.

It annihilated the opening weekend record by over 1b yen (3.3b to 2.2b), and the old records had additional previews that inflated the numbers by quite a bit while this one didn't. Its second weekend was above 3b Yen as well, thus not only besting the old opening weekend record as well, but also managing to make as much money as the two next best second weekends combined. Needless to say, its third weekend also broke the old opening weekend record and also made more money than the next two best third weekends combined. Thus holding the three biggest weekends ever.

Its third monday (today) will also be its best weekday so far, and it is not boosted by a holiday (though boosted by tomorrow being a holiday). Tuesday is also the only day of the week on which Demon Slayer is not currently holding the record, but that should change tomorrow. That day looks like it might match or even best the opening Friday.

Add there being much less competition than usual for the forseeable future and it should trounce all alltime records in its path.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I don't know what the global box office weekend record but domestically it's E.T. as I believe it spent sixteen weeks at #1 for the weekend box office. That is four months. Just insane.

BigAl6ft6 and Diggy like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Actual box office update worth discussing from this past weekend, with WW84's debut. Diana dos brought in $16.7m, roughly 75% more than Tenet's pandemic opening. Added to the international total at the time (we don't have domestic daily figures to bring it up to date yet), it opened to $85 worldwide. Not bad, given the mixed reviews, overall pandemic and HBO Max handicap. Will be interesting to see how it holds going into this final holiday weekend.

News of the World also opened at $2.4m, while Croods 2 came in 3rd (despite also being available on VOD for a week) w/$1.7, bringing the domestic total to $30.3m for a $98.2m worldwide total. Monster Hunter dropped to 4th w/$1.1m for a $4.2m domestic & worldwide total of $9m (the China screw-ups really hurt the film).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Excited for the 2021 Box Office Blood Rolling Lockdowns. :p

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It would be nice to chart spending on the $15 billion movie theater bailout.

Luke02 likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It'll be interesting to see what the final totals are for 2020

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Indeed. It's too early to get a final total for the year, since WW84 and others are still in their (in many cases, abbreviated) runs. But, so far, 2020 looks like this:

Domestic:
    -Bad Boys 3, $206.3m
    -Sonic, 146
    -BOP, 84.1
    -Dolittle, 77
    -Invisible Man, 70.4
    -Call of the WIld, 62.3
    -Onward, 61.5
    -Tenet, 57.9
    -The Gentlemen, 36.4
    -Croods 2, 34.4

Worldwide:
    -The Eight Hundred, $461.3m
    -BB3, 426.5
    -My People, My Homeland, 422.3
    -Tenet, 362.6
    -Demon Slayer: The Movie, 313.4
    -Sonic, 310.6
    -Dolittle, 245.2
    -Legend of Deification, 240.6
    -BOP, 201.8
    -The Sacrifice, 161

The worldwide top 10 probably isn't going to change (though there's an outside shot that WW84 might crack into there), Croods will go up at least one more position and WW84 will likely enter those standings eventually as well. Tenet is still active but won't make up the $2-3m it needs to surpass Onward, so things are pretty stable there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Ghost likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't think I'd live in a world where Dolittle was in the top five domestic.

Luke02, Ghost and The2ndQuest like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Neither did the people who made Dolittle.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's weird they are still doing the Oscars (and stupid it's in-person). But I kind of wonder how that will even go.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Is there going to be a 2021 Box Office thread, or are we just going to assume the Pandemic will prevent any movies from coming out this year and wait for the 2022 version?

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    From what I read it will @Ghost be a lot like the Emma's were. Not many people other then the actual nominees and they are socially distance plus it is not schedule until the end of April. I think the hope is we should be thru the worst of it by then. We better be IMHO.

And I say @Juliet316 we keep it as is since the box office will be mostly quiet this year. I really don't see the theaters running normal operations until the earliest July this year at the earliest.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    On one hand, I think it should get its own thread- 2019 hit 22 pages and we'll probably hit 15 or 16 by time this thread is finally done if it is kept on its own, so this thread isn't immensely undersized by comparison, despite the pandemic. And it'll just make the subject more navigable/manageable.

On the other, at least half of the major movies coming out in 2021 were 2020 releases originally, so maybe it would make sense to keep them grouped together? I'm open to either option.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021