main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2021 Box Office Blood Vaccine

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 28, 2021.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Blood Bath began in 2015...
    The rain of the Bloodshower poured through 2016...
    With the Bloodsplatter staining 2017...
    And washed away by the Blood Ocean in 2018....
    To consume the Blood World in 2019...
    A world that, in 2020, found itself orbited by the dreaded Blood Moon...
    ...but then the Blood Moon got sick and was forced into the Blood Quarantine!
    Now, in 2021, as theaters begins to reopen, we get to see how much of the theater industry can be saved by the Blood Vaccine!
    [​IMG]

Release dates are still fluid in some cases, but some dates are coalescing into place, so here's where some major releases currently stand:

Notable Releases:
    Mar: Godzilla vs Kong
    Apr: Mortal Kombat, In the Earth
    May: A Quiet Place Part II, Spiral: From the Book of Saw, Cruella, Wrath of Man, Those Who Wish Me Dead
    Jun: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, Luca, The Hitman Wife's Bodyguard, F9: The Fast Saga, Samaritan
    Jul: Black Widow, The Forever Purge, Space Jam: A New Legacy, Cinderella, Old, The Tomorrow War, Jungle Cruise, The Green Knight, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins
    Aug: The Suicide Squad, Free Guy, Bios, Candyman, The Beatles: Get Back, Respect
    Sept: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Reminiscence, Malignant, The Boss Baby: Family Business, Infinite
    Oct: Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Dune, 007: No Time to Die, The Addams Family 2, Halloween Kills, The Last Duel, Cry Macho, Antlers, Last Night in Soho
    Nov: Eternals, Top Gun: Maverick, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Encanto, Gucci, Resident Evil
    Dec: Nightmare Alley, West Side Story, Spider-Man: No Way Home, The Matrix 4, The King's Man, Hotel Transylvania 4

In current news, over in China, we already new that a rerelease of Avatar has edged the film back to the top of the all-time chart ahead of Endgame. But, in just 10 days, the rerelease has grossed $44m- more than the total run of the live-action Mulan in China. It also did that with a drop of only 33% between the first and second weekends. That first weekend made it the first Hollywood film to top the Chinese charts in 2021 and the current trajectory makes it possible that it may become the highest grossing Hollywood film in the country during the pandemic by topping Tenet's $66m.

This performance has begun talks of rereleasing it in other countries, which would further elevate its place on the charts (and would probably work as double-good promotion for the sequel next year).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Interested in: Cruella, Black Widow, Shang Chi, Dune, Eternals, Spider-Man.
    Maybe: Luca, Encanto, Venom 2: Carnage.

What's this Cinderella movie, Disney already did that live-action remake a few years ago?

And Matrix 4 is not only actually happening, it's this year?

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Nothing on that list makes me want to trade even harmless germs with other moviegoers.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It's @Ghost I believe a modern version of it as it's not even a Disney film. Sony is making and distributing it. And Matrix 4 principal photography finished last November so it should have no issue making a December release date.

And the only movies that I personally be interested in seeing at the theater this year is TG: Maverick and No Time to Die. Everything else I can wait or watch it on HBOMax.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Cinderella film is described as a musical rom-com version. Cast includes Camilla Cabello, Billy Porter, Idina Menzel, Pierce Brosnan, Minnie Driver, John Mulaney, James Corden & Missy Elliot.

To highlight details of some of the lesser-recognizable titles on that list:

-Wrath of Man (Guy Ritchie with Jason Statham)
    -Those Who Wish Me Dead (one of the HBOM titles starring Angelina Jolie, Nicholas Holt, Jon Bernthal and Tyler Perry),
    -Samaritan (stars Stallone in a dark take on a superhero thriller)
    -Old (M. Night)
    -Bios (Tom Hanks)
    -Reminiscence (Hugh Jackman, another HBOM film)
    -Infinite (Antoine Fuqua)
    -The Last Duel (Ridley Scott)
    -Cry Macho (Eastwood)
    -Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright)
    -Nightmare Alley (Guillermo del Toro)
    -West Side Story, (Spielberg)

EDIT- Some GVK BO news overseas:
    -$70m debut in China, biggest foreign debut for 2020 & 2021 so far, w/82% market share.
    -Global take of $121.8m from 38 markets.
    -In Australia, the opening weekend take surpassed the entire run of King of the Monsters in that country.
    -Biggest IMAX weekend since December 2019 w/$12.4m globally.

-Domestically, "Nobody" opened with $6.7m and took an additional $5m overseas.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  6. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    Here's hoping that possibly the most pathetic project in Hollywood history, The Suicide Squad, flops even harder than the first. Probably not possible, since the very laws of physics dictate that the movie couldn't possibly suck as much, but let me dream.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    what makes this the most pathetic project and also...the first one didn't flop, it did modestly well.

9. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    The popularity of a piece of cinematic excrement such as Suicide Squad is a bellwether of how brain dead our society has become.

Sarge likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You seem like a peach.

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That's Academy Award winning Suicide Squad to you :p
    Nah that movie was bad, probably one of the worse things I've seen in theaters. But there's tons of talent behind this new one, and it's a decent concept I'd like to see done correctly, they're hitting all the right boxes this time.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea the movie industry is in for another tough one

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Suicide Squad did over $300 million domestically (less then ninety movies all time can say that) and did nearly $750 million worldwide. $$$ wise it did very well for what was expected of it. The problem was it just got panned so badly by critics and many audience goers but as they say, someone must have like it since it made really good dough. I actually like the first hour or so of it. Then it just absolutely collapses. I mean they are essentially fighting faceless monsters for most of the second half. Does not get any more boring then that.

I think @Jedi Knight Fett you are correct for at least most of the year. But if things are "back to normalish" by around the holidays? I think you could see the box office heating up fast. I keep saying that history while it does not repeat it definitely rhymes and as many experts have said, we could be looking at the "roaring twenties" all over again as many people are ready to just bust loose and enjoy life again which could very well include the movie theater experience as they are sick and tired of watching it at home with no real social experience.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Cry Macho seems worth a watch just for the novelty of a 90 year old actor/director directing and starring in another action movie. Every new Eastwood movie may or may not be his last, and the excitement of it has more appeal than any potential content of his movies.

Sarge likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I posted this thread on Sunday, and by Thursday morning I've already had to change the release months in the OP for 4 films [face_laugh]. This is going to be a crazy half-year of cinema releases.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Just wanna note that the Bob Odenkirk action film Nobody raked in $7 million over the weekend. I also saw it this week and the theatre was sold out (which means half capacity right now but hey). Its budget was $16 million so it might actually make that back in theatres before going to VOD.

I'm excited to be vaccinated and back at the movies. I feel like I'll be going every week for a while.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    When I saw Godzilla vs Kong yesterday, there were quite a number of people in the theater.

18. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    It did almost $10M in the preview showings last night so it's going to have far and away the best opening of the COVID era.

Juliet316 and JoshieHewls like this.
  19. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015

After this AMAZING result i wonder if Disney isn't regreting pushing back Balck Widow so far.
    Clearly Disney understimated people hunger for coming back to theaters !

Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Naw. It’s only $32 M. That’s a fraction of what the movie would have made opening weekend in regular times.

It will be lucky to make a profit in theaters. July should do much better for Black Widow.

Unless on the flip side everything is closing down again by July because we see a huge spike in COVID cases after so many people went to the movies in April.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I disagree with that take because the last Monsterverse movie, Godzilla King of the Monsters FLOPED; this one is just a hundred million dollar behind the total the last one made in "normal"times. This movie was never an easy sell. And actually it was first postponed (novembr/2019) for editing reasons, long before the Covid Pandemic, 'cause WB tought the movie had problems and would be a even bigger flop than GKOTM.
    Now, as the part in bold, that's is also one of the reasons Disney gamble may backfire. They got hope everything will be okay by july.

22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Fair enough to. $32 million would not be a big opening for an MCU film.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I wouldn't see the Disney move with BW as a gamble- BW would have had an ok "pandemic opening" in May, but they want to see bigger "closer to normal times" numbers. So, not wanting to be at the forefront as the first big movie to test theater reopenings isn't really a gamble.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The problem is nobody really knows what Disney might be thinking because revenue for digital only releases is a black box. It could be "Oh no, we screwed up, we could've had a blockbuster" but it could just as easily be "$32 million is chump change compared to our BW rental projections, the fools."

Edit: To say nothing of the possibility that Disney could view some films as acceptable loss leaders as they continue normalizing streaming platform releases.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, WB clearly feels the same way about all of these HBOM releases, as far as loss-leaders go. They know they're never making a dime off of those movies (and, as has been discussed elsewhere, likely losing billions of dollars in the process).

nilzo antonio likes this.