main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2022 Box Office Blood Booster

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 26, 2021.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It did pretty much Shazam business and that is getting a sequel

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Difference is Shazam had a significantly smaller budget.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That’s the price of a Rock.

PCCViking and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Avatar: The Way of Water is out for a day.

Predictions have it topping out the weekend at $170 million. But it’s looking like that will be less.

What an age we’re in. The movie is out one day and it looks like it’s ability to make $800 million is going to be a long shot.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The first film didn’t have a spectacular opening weekend either. Big question is wether the sequel manages to have the same legs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It would seem like almost certainly not. The novelty is less, theater attendance is down, other forms of entertainment/distraction are more prevalent. It's a very hard climb.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Movies have veeeeerrrry consistent attendance patterns so once there’s real data I would think they’re not especially difficult to predict within, say, a $100m range unless they’re outliers. Which, as Adam says, the first film was, so theoretically this could buck the trend.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Avatar 2 has a projected opening weekend of $134 million.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think it's going to have pretty good legs. Nothing major coming out until, I think, Antman 3 in the middle of February.

Luke02 likes this.
  10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That’s were The Way of Water will need to buck box office trends - is having amazing holds through January and February.

Top Gun: Maverick shows a movie can still have legs in 2022 that keep a movie in theaters for months making money.

Also major success internationally will help the Avatar sequels get made. So far the international numbers look good.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The international numbers may see a boost eventually too, depending on how long a run they have in China. New covid lockdowns this past weekend have apparently had the China take come in lower than what was expected. If it's still out when those are lifted, it may recoup some of that loss.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What would are we in that an Antman film is considered notable? Ye gods.

If Avatar fails, I propose we retitle the thread “Bloodless Box Office.”

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The 2023 Box Office Blood-Buddies

14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed3983672324

a measured look at the weekend box office without the Schadenfreude spin that I give the data. It will need to make 4.6x its global opening weekend to hit the $2 billion mark. Top Gun 2 did 5.7x its opening weekend so it has already happened once this year for a sequel, and of course the original Avatar and Titanic had even bigger multiples.

The first Avatar dropped only 1.8% in its second weekend. Avatar 2 simply cannot do that well in the U.S. and Europe given that Saturday is Christmas Eve. In China one of the biggest challenges is COVID.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'll likely end up going to see The Way of Water a second time (it'll be the first movie since COVID that I make multiple trips to the theater to see), though it'll have to wait 'til after Christmas for me, since The Whale and Babylon are releasing this week and I want to see those as well.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    When’s Cocaine Bear coming out, that could be enough to deprive Jim of an extra $billion.

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    A friend who saw Avatar 2 yesterday described it as the "longest, dullest moviegoing slog I can remember." The dialogue, he says, suffers from "Phantom Menace syndrome" in that Cameron apparently didn't have anyone to tell him it needed significant editing. The other spoilerish thing was:

"There's some tarzan boy running around for the entire length of the movie. I never figured out why he was there. I think the Avatars were keeping him as a pet."

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    How many trips to the theater did you see COVID?

(Haha. Couldn’t resist.) I don’t know how many movies I saw twice since COVID. Maybe just Spider-Man: No Way Home. Double features at the drive-in don’t really count. Sometimes the second movie Id already saw.

In my initial reaction to The Way of Water I said if I describe the plot you’d think I was making it up or the movie is terrible.

But the way it plays out on screen completely worked for me. I’m curious what you think of the movie yourself should you decide to see it in a movie theater.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He either wasn't paying attention to the opening montage/narration of the film, missed a key visual cut between scenes that establishes a central relationship or didn't here a line of dialogue spoken twice at the end.Actually, it sounds like he skipped entire scenes throughout the movie :p.

He (Spider) can be seen in the trailers. He was an orphaned toddler as a result of the conflict from the first film and was forced to remain on Pandora because he was too young to be put into a cryo-tube. The opening montage compared him to a "stray cat" that was always around the family but, essentially, he's one child that grew up with Jake's Na'vi children and his kids consider Spider like a cousin (they call him "Cuz" all the time). Almost like an unofficially adopted orphan (except to Ney'tiri, who doesn't like him around).

He's basically John Connor from T2, if John had been entirely raised by Sarah. With a dash of Tarzan and a California surfer. And he's actually at the heart of one of the more complex relationships in the film- and adjacent to another, with both likely to remain important moving forward.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm really liking the Rogue One/Avatar 2 cage match. The calendar makes them easy to compare:

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, The2ndQuest and Ramza like this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This pattern you’ve hit on is, and I’m not exaggerating for comedy, literally the most interesting thing I’ve yet seen about Avatar 2: Blue Cat Boogaloo.

Runjedirun, SuperWatto and Rylo Ken like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It will be interesting to see how Rogue One versus Avatar 2 plays out since while Rogue One opened higher and so far had the bigger box office days but Avatar 2 drops have been smaller. The $16 million yesterday is the second best Monday of the calendar year and mind you most schools are not even on winter break yet. Very curious what next Monday can bring since many businesses will be closed due to observing the Christmas holiday along with kids being off school as really that is the true start of winter break.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A2 will likely make up some ground to offset RO's more front-loaded debut, if the reports pan out of a high number of pre-sales were directed not to opening weekend, but the following weekend, for the premium screens.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, just taking a glance at things, domestically, before we head into the holiday weekend (though I'll probably put together thorough comparison for the first 10 weeks eventually- I don't think I'll do a day-by-day breakdown until we see the weeklys start to converge/diverge):

(rounding)
    A1 Monday: $16.4m
    A2 Monday: $16.3m
    A1 Tuesday: $16.1m
    A2 Tuesday: $18.3m
    A1 Wednesday: $16.5
    A2 Wednesday: $14.4
    A1 Thursday: $11.1m
    A2 Thursday: $14.6m

Larger opening weekends aside, it's surprisingly dead-even, so far. $49m vs $49m, for Mon-Wed. That's a weirdly wild coincidence.

EDIT- Added in Thurs est. numbers, so A2 pulls ahead by $3.4m. So, now $60.1m vs $63.5 going into second weekend, beyond opening weekends.

EDIT 3- Thurs actuals increased over estimates slightly by $0.1m, so A2 pulls ahead by $3.5m, $60.1 v $63.6.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  25. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Went to see Puss and Boots with my son. Probably 20 people in the theater. I really liked the movie, it was enjoyable and I was never tempted to look at my watch to see how much longer I had to sit there. Good, fun story. I kept looking at all the empty seats though, and wondered when the last time a theater was full. Was it 2019 or even before that? Movies were dying even before the Pandemic because people are too lazy to leave their houses. It makes me sad, because I'm that weirdo that likes any excuse to get out of my house. It was a 1:45pm movie in a not so popular theater, I'd have a better idea of the popularity of the movie if I went near home. Hopefully it does okay, because like I said it was a good movie.