main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2022 Box Office Blood Booster

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 26, 2021.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I saw 18, after getting vaccinated:

Black Widow
    Pig
    The Green Knight
    The Suicide Squad
    Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    The Many Saints of Newark
    Venom: Let There Be Carnage
    Lamb
    Dune
    The Last Duel
    Last Night in Soho
    Antlers
    Eternals
    Spencer
    The French Dispatch
    House of Gucci
    Nightmare Alley
    Spider-Man: No Way Home

Had tickets for The Matrix: Resurrections in IMAX on opening day, but I canceled that booking at the last minute, since COVID cases started really spiking right around that time in my area and I watched the film on HBO Max instead as a result. I was also hoping to catch Licorice Pizza but haven't been to the theater for that for the very same reason. Taking some time off from the theater in general, unfortunately, because of the way things are right now. Hoping it is all looking better in a few months time, as some of the movies I'm really anticipating for 2022 start releasing. Will be incredibly upset if I have to miss The Northman on the big screen....

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @The2ndQuest And the production budget was $25 million for Scream 22' (really do not know what else to call it) so it could make back it's production + media campaign in it's first long weekend and everything else can start goes turning a profit.

Seeing the original Scream btw in the theater back in 1996 is still one of my all time favorite movie theater experience. First Winter Break from college as I graduated from high school the previous May as I was with my high school girlfriend (who were of seeing each other, kind of not at that point) and a bunch of friends in a packed theater late opening night with I don't anyone in attendance that was not either in late high school, college or recently graduated college. Never thought I watch a horror film were the audience was cheering on the killers at certain points and laughing hysteria as well but happened that night. As I tell my students, Scream really did embodied later teenage life in the mid-90's along with Empire Records and Clueless.

Lost in the shuffle of all the insanity going around us is that No Way Home is about to zoom past Infinity War on the domestic list all time and will eventually climb past Black Panther as it will become only fifth movie in history to make over $700 million at the box office in NA. It's going to be in the Top 5 all time domestically though I don't see it moving into the Top 5 Worldwide though as it's over $400 million behind Infinity War. Could knock off Jurassic World for sixth all time worldwide. Pretty insane.

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yeah crazy stuff happens when you mess with the Multiverse 8-}

4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Imagine what those other Marvel movies in the Top Ten’s box office would have been if they were Christmas releases?

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I think it got plenty of attention for being the top movie of 2021 worldwide by a wide margin. People everywhere defied the spread of covid to see it, and it probably did more to promote community spread of omicron than almost anything else you can think of other than maybe school lunch periods and restaurants.

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Imagine if Endgame came out in December 2021 and the even bigger boost it would have given COVID.

My earlier post was more about the Holiday Box Office boost movies get and what would Infinity War, Black Panther, or Endgame’s Box Office total look like if they were December releases like Avatar, The Force Awakens, or Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Endgame in December could have made more money than Avatar and The Force Awakens adjusted for inflation.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I honestly think Endgame was not effected at all by an late April release date. Schools are winding down at that point and the weather is good enough to not really worry about bundling up and dealing with crappy weather to go out but at the same time most of the country is not in pool weather yet either. Having the late April window in particular really helped with high schoolers. It was before most proms, AP testing, finals, graduations etc so many of my students saw it as a perfect time to go see it before prom/graduation season got kick into high gear.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    that's interesting, where's the articles pointing to covid spread specifically being primarily because theatres and No Way Home showings? Aside from all the US having lack of vaccination passes, lack of mandatory masking, and the abundance of settings like restaurants, bars and workplaces and home gatherings over the holidays. But, yah, No Way Home is the biggest problem.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think they would have benefited at all. Outside of James Cameron, xmas releases being in the top 2 release windows is a relatively new phenomenon. And has pretty much been restricted to Star Wars up until now.

By contrast, Marvel has essentially laid claim for the first weekend of the summer blockbuster season for 20 years straight- and, for the most part, made it the most valuable release date on the calendar (surpassing July 4th weekend and, effectively, killing Memorial Day weekend) in the process.

Xmas, prior to Star Wars, was primarily more of a prestige release window. The biggest films were Scorscee, Spielberg & Tarantino dramas. You would sometimes have other genre action films like Jackson's King Kong, Tron Legacy or The 6th Day, but those rarely get past the half-billion mark. The rest were awards bait and family/childrens releases.

The only films (again, besides SW & Avatar) to cross the billion mark (worldwide) in that same time period number three: Aquaman (which really was taking advantage of the lack of a SW film in the wake of SW awakening the xmas release as a billion+ possibility more than anything else, but it still counts), ROTK (which was paying off 3 years of franchise build-up & hype across theatrical releases and the height of the DVD market), rather than a singular example, and the first Hobbit film (but not the subsequent ones).

It's actually why TFA's performance with a Dec release was so surprising at the time- Disney didn't want Star Wars released in Dec, as they thought it would remain most profitable in its traditional mid/late-May release window. Avatar's performance in Dec was seen as a once-a-decade fluke that could only be conjured by the willpower of James Cameron. They only delayed it to Dec because JJ needed the extra time to come on board. And, even after TFA's success, they were still treating it as a fluke and sticking to their efforts of getting the franchise back to its May release window. Now, that ultimately backfired when they screwed up Solo's release trying to do that and then Carrie's passing forcing ROS to return to December anyways. But the point remains.

I don't think Endgame could have mathematically done any better in a different slot (remember- it's neck and neck with Avatar)- and that's the closest thing to a film that could have. Likewise, Infinity War. Black Panther found success in its long, unobstructed run (and eventual connection to Infinity War in trailers). Captain Marvel directly benefited from being released right before Endgame came out (so, it'd be physically impossible to transplant that film to Dec without moving Endgame to Feb, which would never happen in any world of the multiverse, and CM would have likely performed worse anywhere else on its own).

Thor may have benefited slightly, but not by much- if at all (it was overcoming previous, muted, reactions to the franchise). Civil War, probably not, just because of timing. But even with those and the others, you'd have to pretend these were being released in a Dec without a SW film- which means TFA never blew open the xmas release window to begin with, never allowed the SW franchise to establish the xmas window as a holiday billion-buck-blockbuster tradition with RO and TLJ. Which means you probably wouldn't be seeing an above-average boost for any film released in that window that wasn't Middle Earth or Cameron.

And, as for any of the latest releases? I don't think the release window was the problem affecting the box office of BW or Eternals. And it's highly unlikely Shang-Chi would have gotten up there with a 3 month delay, either. A Shang-Chi sequel one day? Maybe. But not this first one. SC would have benefited more from taking the BP Feb slot it originally had before the pandemic (now? probably not so much).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Guidman and Princess_Tina like this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    With the exception of GOTG, most of the MCU movies introducing new characters tend to perform more softly than the rest, so the ones that introduced new characters in 2021 might have done better without the pandemic but likely wouldn't have broken many records.
    They're still a lot of fun, though - and they keep adding fresh blood to the franchise, which is extremely important with some of the first Avengers cycling out of the MCU

The2ndQuest likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- though there might be an argument to be made that the "softer solo debut" no longer applies after BP/IW/CM/Endgame. At least, under normal circumstances. SC and Eternals would have been the true test to that theory if that pandemic had not occurred. Now, it'll probably take another 4- years to really build up that momentum again (especially since you cannot really count FF, Blade or a theoretical X-Men reboot, since they're already established properties, cinematically).

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I think Endgame may have had a shot of out grossing The Force Awakens had it been a Christmas release. The film was massively front loaded with the opening weekend. Based off its opening numbers the film massively underperformed in the following weeks. A holiday release could have created better legs in line with the opening weekend box office trajectory - similar to TFA.

As it stands Endgame ultimately had a box office run similar to the 8th and final Harry Potter film.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I just think there's a certain ceiling either film is going to hit. Endgame could front-load it more due to its release window, but it ultimately would have done the same (or less) in December- it would just have had a lower opening weekend balanced out by slightly higher 3rd-5th weekends.

And I know you're just comparing the overall weekend patterns between the films and not their actual gross, but I don't think you can really compare HP8 (which did $1.3b total) to Endgame (which is just under $2.8b) in terms of performance and use it as evidence that Endgame would do any better than it did.

Anyways, 3-day weekend estimates are in and 5cream ended up a little below early projections last week but still came in at a really good $30.6m, with NWH at $20.8m, followed by Sing 2, 355 and King's Man (though the 4-day totals will hit the projections, so maybe that's what they were referring to).

For comparison, Scre4m's total domestic gross was $38.1m and only opened at $18.6m. Scream 2's opening weekend was $32.9, with Scream 3's opening at $34.7. So, very good for the franchise even despite the pandemic.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The trailer for Death on the Nile is so bad it makes it look like a bad comedy. The acting looks like intentionally wooden comedy, particularly Russell Brand's yelling.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yeah, that Kenneth Branagh, total hack

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking as someone who absolutely loves a couple of Branagh's films, he's made enough garbage to not deserve a free pass.

Also, he's a Rangers fan. So like... doubly undeserving of free passes. :p

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought DOTN had a rather good trailer, actually. The only thing it's missing that MOTOE's trailers had is an overwhelmingly recognizable cast. The cast they have looks good, but it's not a "wall of wow" names like MOTOE was. Still, the trailer showed off some interesting scenery and had a pretty good joke in it.

Every time i see the trailer in theaters, I'm really hoping it does well enough to warrant the series continuing, as MOTOE was filmed pretty impressively given the confined nature of the setting, and this one looks pretty solid, and I'd like to see more of that creativity brought forward. But it's also in that range of upper-mid adult drama that can easily get overlooked at the box office during the pandemic. It'd also be a shame to lose one of the last surviving Fox franchises.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Spiderman : No Way Home back to 1st this weekend

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Hardly anyone has noticed with all that is going on but No Way Home is within $23 million of Avatar for third all time:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...live-reaction-to-no-way-home-box-office-stats

Also it's crept into the sixth slot worldwide all time which is where it will stay as it's not going to join the $2 billion worldwide mark. Still though over $1.7 billion worldwide is just insane especially since there is no China bucks coming in.

Meanwhile both Moonfall and Jackass Forever are coming out this week. Moonfall is getting shredded by critics while Jackass Forever is getting good reviews. It's also tracking for a $20+ million opening weekend. I honestly cannot believe it's still that popular after all these years. The show aired like twenty years ago. Even the teenagers who watched it (I was had finished college the spring before it began) are in their thirties+ now. Pretty incredible that still grabbing younger audiences like Scream is which btw just got greenlighted for another sequel:

Again look forward to watching it when it drops on Paramount+ at the end of the month.

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The screaming will never stop... :p

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Spidey just $12 million from passing Avatar domestically - will do so this month for sure

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Princess_Tina Yep and Jackass Forever absolutely destroyed Moonfall. How on earth Moonfall was even green lite I still don't know LOL!

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sometimes people just shoot for the moon...
    Also, every Jackass movie ever has opened at #1 - pretty amazing, huh? o_O

Luke02 likes this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Princess_Tina Yes especially since the show first aired the same year as I graduated college....2000. That is pretty incredible that over twenty years later they can come out with a movie and it be #1 at the box office. This definitely is their last go around unless Knoxville can find a new generation of morons to do this stuff LOL!

Princess_Tina likes this.