main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2022 Box Office Blood Booster

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 26, 2021.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    lol Spider-Man made as much on a weekend in its second month of release as Moonfall's opening weekend. "Spider-Man has great legs" isn't a sentence I'd normally write, at least not on this forum. It's going to roll over Avatar's domestic total for ****'s sake.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Due to coupons and free passes got 3 tickets to Spider-Man No Way Home tonight but my total contribution to it's Box Office run was less than 10 dollars Canadian.

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It's official now....

Juliet316, Luke02 and The2ndQuest like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, very impressive- especially under the current conditions (unless it was said conditions that funneled so much interest into one point). Although it's staying where it is on the worldwide all-time chart, as Infinity War still has a $300m lead above it for the next slot. Domestically, it's still about $100m away from Endgame for the next slot there.

And to put things into perspective about how crazy the top prizes are worldwide: Avatar still sits at twice NWH's current ww total.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    And in other box-office news

6. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Not to take anything away from what Avatar accomplished at the box office but for a little additional perspective ...

1) I remember it still being in first run theaters here in the US a year after it's release.
    2) It made $200M in a market (China) NWH has yet to get a release date in (and if it ever does piracy will have rendered it largely moot).

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Whomever came up with this headline deserves a raise

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And in a month there'll be the possibility of the reverse sandwich when The Lost City comes out, if Uncharted and Spidey stick around (which they probably will, as they're Sony releases).

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  9. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Everybody loves Tom Holand

Princess_Tina likes this.
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    He accounts for 56% of the weekend's box-office

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Everybody doesn't love Owen Wilson and J Lo. People were laughing at the Marry Me trailer; Wilson had so much make up on he looked like a wax figure.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That four day total is higher then projections had it. Wonder if that is a good omen that it might not yet another box office bomb of a video game adaption or just fans who wanted to see it came out right away and it's going to quickly drop away?

Crazy to think btw that "The Batman" comes out in basically two weeks. Felt like it was much farther away then that since it's been on hold for so long plus we most likely won't see it until it drops on HBOMax in mid-April as we are really busy until Spring Break and most likely will just wait another month though perhaps we can sneak out on Discount Tuesday if they are having it. I think the box office will be massive as I think the $150 million prediction for OW will be surpassed. Tons and tons of my students are planning on to see it opening weekend as it's coming out a great time since not only mask mandates getting lifted (including here) but schools don't have a lot going on. I mean basically it's boys high school playoff basketball and really not much else going on come that weekend. My school actually is having it's annual weekend lock in but due to COVID the number is very limited this year and only for seniors so plenty of kids will be looking for things to do since spring break is not for a few weeks and the weather is obviously still crummy here. And AP/SAT testing is at least another month off while we are not even halfway through our semester at that point so again nothing really stopping teenagers to go out and see it in droves.

@The2ndQuest I keep reading two schools of thought what China will do long term with their box office. I read a few places that they will definitely continue with the embargo on western films as they want the box office money to be only for their money. I also read that their is some antsy feelings in the country that despite the big propaganda push of nationalism, people are not really happy with everything as their economy as really taken some big hits over the past two years to go along with tired of sudden lockdowns etc and continued isolation from the rest of the world therefore allowing some more western films to come back particularly a few tentpole movies like MCU will help calm nerves down.

Certainly Hollywood wants the China box office market to open up again but I think they better get used to being closed for a long time

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also of interest is that The Batman, Uncharted and Death on the Nile will be among the now-rarer-and-rarer films to get a China release, with DOTN actually launching yesterday (to fall between the new year and end of the Olympics). Alongside the wider international rollout (itself following the domestic release being something of a throwback that is more uncommon these days), it might be the last hope for that franchise to continue.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Industry analysts now beginning to wonder whether Spider-Man could hit $800 million domestically. That would be nearly four times the total box-office of the next biggest hit of 2021

The2ndQuest and Luke02 like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's definitely the kind of run you only see every 5-10 years.

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    38 consecutive >$1 million days, right in the middle of the Omicron wave. You don't often say about a movie that most of its box office is blood money. An achievement for the ages.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Stop stealing my thread titles.

Luke02, BigAl6ft6, jcgoble3 and 4 others like this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is basically like the SNL skit about trying to blame the Omicron wave on Spider-Man

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001

Luke02 likes this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Thena I been surprised that estimates have been more conservative even after Preview Thursday having a very solid night. The momentum to this felt like more of a $120 million OW and not a $100 million OW like was being predicted. If it holds, it will break in the Top 40 all time in terms of opening weekend domestically. That does not sound that overly impressive but it be the 7th biggest OW in history for WB. They don't have many in the Top 50 all time in terms of OW as the list is naturally dominated by the Mouse.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Context is everything

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even more impressive is that the film is 3 hours long, which usually limits the number of showtimes. Granted, as we've seen with films like Titanic, LOTR & Avatar, blockbusters can overcome that to great success. In this case, one factor that is no doubt is working to the film's advantage is the lack of competing major releases (due to the pandemic release/production lull and the Oct-Dec rush to force out the delayed 2020 releases now being over) freeing up more screens that it can use to compensate with.

Yodaminch, Luke02 and Thena like this.
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, it looks like The Batman couldn't quite break the record for biggest comicbook movie opening in March, that record still belongs to Captain Marvel.
    The Batman: $128.5m
    Captain Marvel: $153.4m

Still, second-best opening during the pandemic, making roughly half as much as Spider-Man.

Compared to other Batman movies:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022