main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2022 Box Office Blood Booster

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 26, 2021.

1. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015

I like Jatinder's projection's better.
    The true friday of TB was 36M (21M plus from Thurday's previews); saturday it made 43M, about 20% more than friday. I really think 35M is a realistic number for Sunday!

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    In other box-office news, Uncharted has passed the $100m mark on its 3rd weekend.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Final figures are in. The Batman did a little bit better than Suicide Squad (2016) on opening weekend.
    [​IMG]

Luke02 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    just shy of three months and still in 5th place at the BO for the weekend

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and Thena like this.
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The #3 movie last weekend was not a movie but a live streamed (or delayed for time zone) BTS Concert. It ran for 1 day in only two times but was #2 internationally for the weekend as well.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Should mention bootleg copies in this article as well:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...-china-box-office-opening-weekend-1235114363/

Pretty incredible though to see roughly 30% of movie theaters in China shutdown due to COVID right now with less then 2,000 cases per day while in the US it hit over a million cases PER DAY in early January yet all the theaters stayed open and outside some areas/states asking for vaccine cards and masks, there will no mitigation efforts. Anyway that is a topic for the COVID thread and well depressing to think about.

The Batman should clip $300 million domestically this weekend and even though the $300 Million Club domestically isn't as exclusive has it once was, not even a hundred movies all time are in it so it still an accomplishment. Again very curious how it will do next week since a lot of elementary, junior highs and high schools will be on spring break. Could cause the drop for The Batman to be lower in it's third weekend out.

Also No Way Home is about $7 million from becoming only the third movie to get into the $800 Million Club domestically. Just insane.

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I believe there is a sort of comfort food effect / catharsis from the Pandemic in play with Spider-Man. The movie also benefitted from not much else being released in theaters since it’s release.

My point is that Spider-Man: No Way Home was for a very large audience of people the precise movie needed at the exact right time. An escape from reality connected to the past and the future - that in a round about way touches on reality. Maybe it’s the case with all blockbuster movies - it’s hard to imagine NWH doing better released at any other time.

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    In non-blockbuster news, arthouse cinemas seem to be getting back in shape.
    Nature is healing...

Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Agreed as it really found the perfect window to roam. Didn't seem like movie goers were willing to come back in droves before it and had it waited until 2022, it would have had perhaps too much competition to make a play for $800 million domestically. Would still made uber amounts of money but to this extent? Doubtful. Ball bounced though perfectly for it and give No Way Home credit as it took full advantage.

And no surprise but The Batman is on track to not only win the box office race this weekend but also clear $300 million while Jujutsu Kaisen O is having a nice opening weekend:

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/the-batman-box-office-third-weekend-1235209446/

I think Japanese anime will continue to grow a better niche audience in the US. While the vast majority of my students said they were planning on seeing The Batman over break, a few said they were going to see Jujutsu Kaisen 0 as one even said she was trying to see both.

And if it continues to hold like it has, No Way Home could be over $800 million domestically by middle/end next week. Again incredible. And with The Lost City tracking soft, it can still make some more dollars along with obviously The Batman which should crack over $400 million domestically putting right inline with TDKR.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Happily The Batman is over half a billion world wide.

Luke02, heels1785 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @VadersLaMent And that is with it being soft in China and Japan partly due to COVID restrictions. Obviously MCU plays better there then DC flicks but still doing well despite limitations in the eastern Asia market.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Just as long as I get more.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It is even more incredible given that it just hit digital. When it's all said and done it will have made close to $2 billion worldwide
    [​IMG]

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Thena And if it's $20 to own it via streaming yet there is people our there who still are spending up $20+ (when you factor in online fees) a ticket to see it in the theater. That along with how The Batman is holding up I think shows that there the market will be there for movies at the theaters even with a short streaming window. Ultimately people who are willing to wait for it to be streaming are going to be that way regardless of the window it's at the theater.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Riddle me this: what is the one genre that's keeping theaters open?

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    We need more of this!!

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Morbius bringing in some fresh blood to the box-office

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Will Sonic outrun the competition?

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Interesting chart

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Thena Basically Sonic has been the first and only truly successful video game franchise. Others have done okay like Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat 95' actually did very well at the box office but the sequel was an utter disaster and every other attempt has been brutal. I don't know if Sonic is the mark of an age where video game adaptions suddenly becoming hits at the box office or just the exception. Uncharted did good enough to warrant a sequel though so good it's a definite. I wonder if Halo getting pretty good reviews and already greenlight for a second season, we could see video game TV shows (live action) become the wave of the future.

I do know a lot of my students are going to see Sonic 2 this week or at least that is what they told me yesterday. Being seniors they get to skip the wonderful world of national testing today and tomorrow while Friday is a "non-attendance day" aka Good Friday therefore they have 5 days off. Some actually are out of town (a few even left earlier this week under the disguise of a "college visit" since that doesn't count towards absences that could effect their ability to skip finals next month) but many are still here and a bunch of them said they go see it since again 5 days off plus the weather is crummy here. Saturday is the nicest day in the forecast which is 45 for a high but at least sunny. I wouldn't be shocked if a few of them went to see it this afternoon it's rainy out. I know if it were me I go catch a matinee or something.

Thena likes this.
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    No results for Super Mario Bros. the movie? :p

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It opened to less than $9m... :p

PCCViking likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Depends on the scope, too. For what they were aiming to be, the RE films were obviously successful enough for them to make 6 of them. That's more than just okay for a franchise, even if none were ever a true blockbuster hit- but I don't think any of them (outside of *maybe* the first one) had any aspirations at becoming so.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022