main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2023 Box Office Blood Barbie

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2022.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Mushroom Kingdom does not have a shortage of bricklayers and masonry. Bowser presumably establishes the smaller castles for his kids (and Boom Boom or Pom Pom) in lands he conquers. The other castles are either Peach's Castle, the castles of other rulers (like the Penguin King in the teaser trailer) or what seem to function like local town municipal buildings.

The movie seems to counter this issue by somewhat by having Bowser's entire fortress/land become mobile.

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    D&DHat which cost 50% more to make than John Wick 4 will do a little better than half as well in its opening weekend. Good reviews and A- Cinemascore aren't going to guarantee profitability, but Hasbro paid for half the movie so this is partly just a promotional merchandise selling exercise for them. It's not clear it matters to them whether this thing is a major hit. It's definitely entertaining enough to have a bit of a shelf life on streaming, so it's probably all good.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Per Bloomberg, Hasbro paid for half the movie because they're trying to rejigger DnD into a brand that can generate revenue unto itself as a solution to the eternal problem that the game merely sells well enough to be profitable even in markets where, like now, it's got a lot of awareness around it - and as TSR very aptly demonstrated back in the 90s the margins aren't good enough to support being complete morons about the accounts, and everybody would rather have moron money. So I think they would definitely prefer a hit.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I was gonna go see it at 3:15 but some pain stopped me.

Instead I'll be seeing it Monday. It looks fun.

But yeah no way will it be as good or profitable as JW4. For one thing, no Donnie Yen.

The2ndQuest and PCCViking like this.
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I just saw it today. I liked it, and I really liked Chris Pine's character.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Could be said about just about everything he's in..love Chris Pine.

Ghost and PCCViking like this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    $38.5 US opening for D&Dhat, $33 million foreign. A relatively soft start for a $150 million movie.
    John Wick 4 dropped 62% in its second weekend which is better than the 69% drop of ant man 3 but still not great.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But also worth noting that Paramount only expected a $30m opening. And it's the highest non-sequel opening since Nope. Though international opening isn't as good.

Too early to tell how much of an affect Wick's drop will be on it overall. There are comparisons to make to AM3's first two weeks with JW4's, but it's not exactly a 1-for-1 (JW4 has better reviews, but is rated R, had a larger proportional budget increase and is a much smaller franchise overall than Ant-Man [no pun intended]). AM3 dropped a little more than expected this weekend, but is now only about $4m away from topping AM2 domestically.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next weekend. Mario will reign supreme by a significant margin, the bible movie out (and, to a lesser extent, Jesus Revolution too) will get an Easter boost, while Wick and Creed will fight over the action/drama adult audience (with Wick winning, being newer) and D&D and AM3 will go after the scraps in-between (with D&D wining for the same recency bias as Wick). Wick will regain the #2 spot because Mario will take a chunk of the gamers/geek audience which will handicap D&D just enough for Wick to get back up there.

Shazam will get hit hard by Mario by taking away the family audience. Air will be the wild card, probably having a toe in the Wick/Creed battle but for audiences looking for dramedy instead of action. And Scream VI will be the only real horror offering (until Renfield and Evil Dead Rise hit a week or two later).

I think next weekend's top 10 will go:
    -Mario
    -Wick 4
    -D&D
    -Air
    -His Only Son
    -Creed III
    -Scream VI
    -Shazam
    -AM3
    -65 or A Thousand and One (they'll probably be pretty close)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If that's all they were expecting then they pretty much knew they had a box office disappointment on their hands. It's not enough to carry the weight of the movie's budget.

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah it sounds like Paramount is very happy with the opening to go along with great reviews and early WOM:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/box-office-dungeons-dragons-1235314579/

Very interesting box office this week with Super Mario Brothers coming out. Definitely will be the family movie of Easter weekend but will have any cross over appeal remains to be seen. About 30% of schools are out for spring break so they could get some decent numbers on Wednesday and Thursday but nothing really to write home about until Friday. Curious to see how well they do Good Friday since almost every school will be off. We got our tickets for the first showing on that day (12:15 pm) and look at tickets sold yesterday it's still pretty open but starting to see seats being filled.

My guess is the later showings in the afternoon will be more filled as noon is kinda of a rough time for kids unless you do what we are which is quickly throw a bunch of pizza down their (and ours) throat before hand and go over there, spend a bunch of money on concessions despite they just ate and were sneaking in candy. It's moments like this where reserved seats are a life saver. But I see more families going around 2-4 if they see a afternoon showing.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    D&D has been getting great WOM, and early Mario WOM is... not great. Just lots of fan service but little else, as opposed to D&D which had both fan service and a coherent plot (apparently)?

solojones likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    World of Morecraft

. . .

???

Ramza likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    more or less. I thought it was a decent movie. Nothing that really suggests it has a shot at being a real hit. It might well coast to profitability over the long run.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In my observations it's often been the reverse- that the noon-to-1 showtimes are the ones kids show up at because families want to do dinner after the movie around 5-6 and don't want the concessions to fill them up beforehand the way a 3pm would, and/or would still have some of the day left over afterwards. But that also depends on the day of the week (the above-scenario is more likely for a Sat than a Sunday).

Though you're right that the families doing just a movie that day are more likely to do it earlier (10-11am for young kids) or 3pm-ish.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Word of mouth

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Paramount did the early screenings to help generate WOM for D&D, which suggests that they had confidence in the film. looks like it paid off by exceeding expectations.

solojones and Luke02 like this.
  17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I saw it and it was a lot of fun and a decent film. Predictable and all that, but great fun.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't forget that the first film was also a terrible movie, just an oddly fun one. Can be a difficult balance to maintain.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Test screening advance reviews I've basically given up on being reliable sources at all.

Anyway, more on topic, that Mario movie is going to make back it's production budget worldwide in about 4 days or so. More Mario to come, whohoo!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    DDHat was a fun movie, but there is still that big disconnect between good WOM and “exceeding expectations” for opening weekend on the one hand, and how much it is likely to earn vs its cost on the other. It looks like it may barely make $150 million worldwide against its $150 million production budget, which is what’s formally known as a flop. At best it will be about $110 million worldwide at the end of weekend 2 but if super Mario bros takes off it could be more like $100 million. Super Mario will make back DDHat’s production budget in 5 days.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Super Mario Broa now poised to be the biggest worldwide opening of all time for an animated movie.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Pretty excited for studios' takeaway from this to be to cast Chris Pratt in even more things.

The2ndQuest and Rylo Ken like this.
  24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    https://deadline.com/2023/04/box-office-super-mario-bros-movie-air-amazon-ben-affleck-1235318951/

That is a lot of spicy meatballs! I wonder how the critics feel seeing this considering the audience not only flocking to go see it but getting great feedback. We saw it yesterday afternoon and everyone loved it even our 12 year olds who often act like they are "too cool" for kiddie flicks.

I mean seriously what movies were some of these critics watching? Where they expected a Super Mario Brothers movie to be The Godfather in terms of plot?
    And can someone please explain to Grace Randolph that the entire plot of the 85' game which made the entire franchise was Princess Peach getting kidnapped by Boswer but in this one she is anything but a capture princess including when she agreed to marry him as she had a great plan to get oujt of it and almost worked. The only criticism is I have that it was a bit Mario centric but all the other characters had time to shine and it was obviously not only set up for not only to be about Yoshi in the sequel but also more about Princess Peach as she tries to figure out her past. Plus Luigi was set up to have his own spinoff and DK. So again what on earth was this people watching?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I know the entire Internet seems to have forgotten this, but critics don't exist to validate peoples' opinions. Rotten Tomatoes haphazardly aggregates a bunch of different peoples' different opinions into a meaningless number and then people who already decided they like the film before they saw it get mad if they think the number is too low, or the reverse if they think the number is too high. If you saw a movie and liked it, is the healthy response really "lol I sure showed those people getting paid terrible wages to try and guess if a generic person will like a movie"?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023