main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2023 Box Office Blood Barbie

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2022.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

The correct list is not adjusted for inflation but a "number of tickets sold" metric that takes into account changing prices.

I think Gone with the Wind still wins that handily, and at a time when the population of the US was a lot lower.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The counter-vailing pressure is that options for entertainment were much more limited at the time. In a less segmented market, popular things are going to appear more disproportionately popular than within a divided one, even if the level of passion/excitement is more or less the same.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    A much larger percentage of the population went to the movies each week before TV.

Even with a much larger population so we have any idea if we’re to the same number of tickets sold from the 1910s to early 1950s?

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This together with other external factors (proportional financial pressure, etc.) make all of these “modern equivalence” metrics a bit worthless. We could gleam some amount of impact on the zeitgeist from, say, proportionate unique audience share… and that’s impossible to measure because nobody has ever tracked - or would ever track - “unique ticket buyers,” so.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    These were Infinity War’s last words after Big Jim walks in the room [face_devil][face_skull]

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, at best you'd have to segment an adjusted list into 3 or 4 separate lists based on the era they came out to make it usable for comparisons. Pre-TV, pre-home video, etc and probably an extra one for when worldwide box office began to be tracked (or at least for films that did). GWTW's situation and conditions cannot be replicated ever again, so there's no point comparing it as part of an on-going basis, etc.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As of Wed, A2 has passed Infinity War on the worldwide charts, ahead by $2m+. James Cameron officially has 3 out of the Top 5 of all-time.

It will surpass TFA with the rest of the week and the weekend domestic pull alone, so most likely TFA fell yesterday or today once the international pull is added. Meaning James Cameron will have 3 out of the Top 4 of all time at that point.

Should A2 continue to perform and manage to outpace Titanic and claim the #3 spot, despite Titanic's rerelease, then Cameron will still have 3 out of the Top 4.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting data point to look at this weekend: A2’s China screen count was reduced last week due to the lunar new year holiday (to make room for local language films), which obviously would have impacted its worldwide performance.

However, it’s screen count will be raised back up now that the holiday has passed, so we’re going to start seeing a boost in the China numbers/worldwide totals over last week (or at least offset declines in other territories to presumably maintain about the same overall take).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A2 took an estimated $15.7m for the 3-day weekend. That pushes it past Incredibles 2 and just 400k past The Last Jedi to take #11 on the domestic chart. It still sits at #4, above TFA, on the worldwide chart, now $78m behind Titanic.

PIB follows this weekend with 10.6, Otto 6.7, M3GAN 6.4, newcomer Pathaan with 5.9, Missing 5.7, Plane 3.8, Infinity Pool 2.7, Antichrist 2.4 & Wandering Earth II 1.4 to round out the Top 10.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    What's the over/under on 2 Avatar 2 Furious cracking the domestic Top 10?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tomorrow, most likely. Wed at the latest (depending on how Monday holiday boosts daily average). It only needs less than $3m to top Avengers 1.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, yeah, this week for sure. Wasn't sure what the margin there was.

14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Seems likely it will land in 8th place passing Titanic

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It should get #7 or #8 domestic pretty easily- it still has two weeks mostly to itself (plus Monday holiday). both it and Titanic will likely sneak past Infinity War in that timeframe.

EDIT- Titanic rerlease is expected to add $20-30m to its total, so I think it will stay ahead of A2 for the next 3-4 weeks.

But that just leaves Titanic, Black Panther and Maverick within the realm of possibility. Then you hit the Avatar 1 wall (and NWH, Endgame & TFA on the other side).

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    What holiday is tomorrow?

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The Feast of Maximum Occupancy.

But seriously I don’t know why Quest would expect a $3 million Monday day over day with a weekend of $15.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoops! I thought it was President's Day weekend. Ever since the SW SE release date was moved up and the trailers changed from "President's Day Weekend" to "January 31st", I've always mixed those up.

19. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Seems unlikely at this point, but it would be an entertaining box office competition to watch A:WoW and Titanic competing for the worldwide rankings. Two films released decades apart, by the same director, in theaters at the same time, jockeying for the #3 title.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We actually might get that for about a week or two.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fell just shy of cracking the Top 10 on Monday (about $1.2-1.3m shy), but it ended up doing so Tuesday and so is now sitting atop Avengers in the #10 slot on the domestic chart. But I think it's going to take 1.5-2 weeks to top Jurassic World for 9th.A nd afte rthat it starts dueling with Titanic.

Kinda crazy to remember that when Avengers finished its run, the Top 5 domestic films were Avatar, Titanic, The Avengers, The Dark Knight and The Phantom Menace. And those 5 now sit at 4, 8, 11, 15 & 21.

11 years before Avengers, the top 5 were Titanic, TPM, ANH, ET & The Lion King. And, by the time of Avengers, they had slipped to 2, 5, 6, 8 & 10. Much more movement in the 2012-2023 range.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So who in Hollywood decided to turn March '23 into May summer movie season, the prequel? That March release calendar is stacked. heck it basically start in mid Feb at Ant-Man 3 and then Cocaine Bear.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @BigAl6ft6 March has shown it can be a good window for movie openings due to spring break. Yes, obviously a lot of families go out of town (particularly the high school I worked as not only is a lot of students telling me they are going away for it but also our faculty as I am one of the few it seems that isn't going anywhere and many of those who aren't simply cannot since they coach a spring coach therefore they are in season or they would be) but you still have many who don't and are looking to do something that keeps the kids entertain for a few hours and despite how insane movie ticket prices can be (to say nothing of the concessions), it's still a cheaper option then a lot of other things you can do with them. I am actually surprised that Super Mario Bros is not trying to squeeze itself more into the spring break. March 24 has John Wick 4 opening but that obviously isn't a kids movie so I would think they tried to sneak into that slot and get more of the spring break window as part of their calendar. We certainly go see it then as I wrote on the Super Mario Bros thread my kids convinced my wife to go see it in the theater (took me none since I was thinking about taking them before they even saw the ads LOL!) and spring break would be the perfect time to go see a movie for us. Heck I might take the boys to go see Shazam 2 though they seem okay not seeing it until it comes out on HBO Max.

Looking at the calendar though I don't see any film becoming a uber hit like we saw with Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar 2 this past year. Not yet anyway.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That Adam Driver vs dinosaurs movie is going up against Scream 6, surprised Sony decided to face it off against an established franchise and not just move it a week or so. Sorry Adam but Ghostface wins this match up for me

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mario is going with April because they want Easter weekend for the kids movie. Easter varies, though, so some years that ends up being in March.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.