main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 26th Jedi Draft - Congratulations to our victor, KenKenobi!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth_Furio , Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
  2. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Playoffs Round 2 Match 2 Final Results

@Jordan1Kenobi (3) vs. @Wang Chi (3)

1. Kit Fisto / Aayla Secura vs. Cade Skywalker
    5. Ki-Adi-Mundi / Plo Koon / Adi Gallia / Saesee Tiin (Trump) vs. Ben Solo
    9. Galen Marek vs. Ferus Olin

@KenKenobi (4) vs. @DarthIntegral (2)

1. Darth Jadus/Darth Nyriss vs. Savage Opress TRUMPED with Darth Maul
    5. Asajj Ventress vs. Darth Maul TRUMPED with Savage Opress (FORFEIT)
    9. Luminara Unduli/Bariss Offee vs. Desann/Tavion

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Playoffs Round 2 Match 3

@Jordan1Kenobi (3) vs. @Wang Chi (3)

2. Ahsoka Tano vs. Darth Caedus
    4. Kanan Jarrus / Ezra Bridger (prep) vs. An'ya Kuro
    6. Agen Kolar / Eeth Koth / Maris Brood (trump) (FORFEIT) vs. Joruus C'baoth
    7. Adi Gallia / Saesee Tiin / Ki-Adi-Mundi / Plo Koon (FORFEIT) vs. Vaylin

@KenKenobi (4) vs. @DarthIntegral (2)

2. Anakin Skywalkwer vs. Darth Sion
    4. Quinlan Vos vs. Darth Vader
    6. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Shak'Weth
    7. Darth Krayt vs. Lumiya (Prepared)

3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    And just like that, I’m out of the contest :(

Bad numbers luck right there with Ahsoka. Well done, Wang. You got me this time.

cubman987 and Wang Chi like this.
  4. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    gg, sir.

[​IMG]

Welp... I suppose it's time to see just how right I am.

5. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    *knows that Inty will argue it's Shaq to make me concede*

[​IMG]

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    2. Ahsoka Tano vs. Darth Caedus
    4. Kanan Jarrus / Ezra Bridger (prep) vs. An'ya Kuro
    6. Agen Kolar / Eeth Koth / Maris Brood (trump) (FORFEIT) vs. Joruus C'baoth
    7. Adi Gallia / Saesee Tiin / Ki-Adi-Mundi / Plo Koon (FORFEIT) vs. Vaylin

2. Anakin Skywalkwer vs. Darth Sion
    4. Quinlan Vos vs. Darth Vader
    6. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Shak'Weth
    7. Darth Krayt vs. Lumiya (Prepared) - argument for this would be fun though I'm not sure it matters.

Darth_Furio , KenKenobi and Wang Chi like this.
  8. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    I mean, twist my arm lol

I'd love to do a more all-around dive on Krayt if he moves on-- like Wang already said, he's a second-rounder, and I honestly think he'd press the bubble of the first if that round wasn't already jam-packed. It's just really jam-packed.

But we can hyperfocus against Lumiya, since she's a perf draw for two reasons:

1.) He's practically prepped against her too, having watched her run around w/ "Ship" and Caeds while building up the One Sith on...Korriban, aka this location lol

2.) Lumiya primarily uses a lightwhip. The lightwhip's biggest weakness is two blades, aka Jar'Kai. Krayt primarily uses...Jar'Kai

Though since you gave the opportunity cubby, and I'm a giant ****ing nerd, figured it'd be fun to further double-click on his fighting style as a whole...

In the way that Yoda's fast-paced offense is a sort of Kung Fu, and Kenobi's Soresu is perfected Aikido, Krayt's dual-wielding seems to be very much a blend of two schools:

Niten Ichi-ryu A two-bladed style developed by a badass samurai named Miyamoto Musashi. Where others would claim their styles were gifts from the gods, his was developed not by "divine inspiration"...but directly from combat experience. He literally fought 61 life-or-death duels, against opponents of various styles and weapons, in pursuit of perfecting his techniques. And he won all of them (I mean duh, would've been hard to compile the techniques otherwise :p)

The general idea is to block/defend with one weapon and then counter with the second (pretty much the exact gameplan against a lightwhip user-- ensare the strands, then strike). This is the kind of swordplay Krayt largely uses as A'Sharad Hett, getting understandably more aggressive as he gets darker.

Escrima— A Filipino martial art, it's the **** you see Bruce Lee use with the double sticks in Enter the Dragon. Which is reminiscent of early-Legacy Krayt storming Coruscant.

Two more notable things here:

1.) It emphasizes "ranges"-- employing principles/footwork that can shift depending on distance. This is valuable against anyone, but particularly someone like Lumiya who aims to control distance with her whip.

2.) It's a "complete" style in the sense that it focuses on both dual-weaponry AND "empty-hand" techniques-- b/c when the Spanish occupied the Phillipines, they immediately banned indigenous weapons like the machete. So the populace started incorporating hand-to-hand concepts and kept teaching it. Pretty nasty surprise for their oppressors when it was time to revolt.

Krayt starts with these concepts early, mastering the Star Wars hand-to-hand style of Teräs Käsi (itself based on another Southeast Asian martial art, pencak silat) and teaching it to his Tusken tribe as Chieftan. Then builds on them as he learns and unleashes more power as Darth Krayt.

You can see it visually in his fights too-- there are some clear moments where his Niten ichi-ryu evolves with Escrima as he "perfects his combat over many decades" (Villains of Star Wars, Insider #113).

Which, if you're not bored yet, is what I'm gonna look at right now WHY THE HELL NOT

Early on, Hett's main weakness was if someone got inside leverage on his two blades-- you can see Aurra Sing ding him as a Padawan this way:

[​IMG]

He recovers to whoop her ass. But also turns the weakness into a strength, mastering Teräs Käsi moves and pommel strikes to use against anymore enemies who got close-- which is how he finishes a Clone-Wars-era Anakin and scores hits on Peak Kenobi:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, Almost-Alec-Guiness promptly proceeds to humiliate him in that last fight...but Kenobi notably does it by using the Force in tandem with his saber:

[​IMG]

It's a turning point for Krayt's style. He'd nailed saber techniques, but realized he could blend them with more power, more effectively. He accepts his darkness, gets forged by the Yuuzhan Vong, and puts together the full package.

By Legacy he's aggressively dicing multiple Force-users (including Skywalkers) at different ranges. But he also complements that bladework by channeling his now prodigous power...to the point that he again turns a weakness, the kind he showed years ago against Kenobi, into solid strength:

[​IMG]

Pretty cool to see how he developed, and formed that Niten Ichi-ryu/Escrima blended style.

In Conclusion...

By the time he reaches absolute peak, Krayt's a 5-tool player-- like prime Trout or Griffey in somehow combining jaw-dropping body control/speed with Hall-of-Fame power.

And he gets there, like greats do, by constantly improving his game. Hett starts his career perfecting ballet-like skill with multiple blades...then by the time he's War Emperor Krayt, he's combined it with power that can shatter a Skywalker.

This makes sense given the absurd length of his career, the multitude of conflicts he's been through, and the work ethic instilled early as a Tusken. All of which culminate in that dope list of high-points-- besting Anakin, hanging with Kenobi, hammering Cade (in addition to things not mentioned here, like Dark Transfer and Abeloth).

Lumiya isn't quite in that class, and the prep + lightwhip gimmick that occasionally allows her to jump up a level is a poor matchup against Krayt specifically. She's on track to get a tomb named after her here. And then maybe Disney reboots KotOR and we find her lightwhip as a playable item.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    BookExogorth and cubman987 like this.
  9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Agreed with cubby and going Krayt.

KenKenobi likes this.
  10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I'm going Krayt as well.

KenKenobi likes this.
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    gg as always KK. disappointed we didn't get Vader vs. Anakin

You up for a third place game?

12. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    A most excellent battle my dude. Enjoyed but feared it. Our top 5's have more beef between them than a hundred Cheeseburger Matches.

To your team, and this alternate ending to RotS:

[​IMG]

AND NOW THE FINALS HOLY ****

Somehow coinciding with the NBA Finals lol. Horax would be proud.

@Darth_Furio If we're doing best 2 of 3, any chance to get all locations beforehand? Might help choose prep/which trump to try out. No sweat if you're keeping it a ~surprise~

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Sure am!

14. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
  15. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    @KenKenobi is writing a letter to the league already asking for more foul calls. ;)

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    numbers in for all three - good luck Jordan

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  17. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    lol to keep that Finals analogy Horax, cue the Sirius intros. Pipe the virtual fans into Tython. The numeros are in.

Wang, good luck my friend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Wang Chi and BookExogorth like this.
  18. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Guess he forfeits then.

BookExogorth likes this.
  20. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Hey, can't a guy mean to get his numbers in last night, but then forget and fall asleep without being ridiculed around here!

Let's do this, Kenneth! Good luck to you as well.

Say wha?! Image fail?

Eh, too tired to look for another.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Darth_Furio and BookExogorth like this.
  21. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    The Finals

@Wang Chi vs. @KenKenobi

3. Cade Skywalker trumped with Celeste Morne vs. Xesh
    8. Aryn Leneer/Ven Zallow trumped with Ganner Rhysode vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    10. Dark Woman vs. Darth Jadus/Darth Nyriss

3rd place.

@Jordan1Kenobi vs. @DarthIntegral

3. Mace Windu vs. Shak'Weth
    8. Saesee Tiin / Adi Gallia / Maris Brood vs. Desann/Tavion
    10. Maris Brood / Saesee Tiin / Adi Gallia (FORFEIT) vs. Savage Oppress TRUMP Darth Maul

Jedi Knight Fett and KenKenobi like this.
  22. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    OH MAN Xesh vs. Cade is AWESOME, somewhere @Jan_Duursema & @jfostrander01 just perked up and got a weird feeling in their chests haha. I love this game.

While Cade has Celeste (who without Muur doesn't do much), Xesh has major home field advantage— Tython is the planet he locates & invades early in Dawn of the Jedi, finding symbiosis with it to create a whirlwind of power like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a whole council of peeps to defeat him like that. With it at his fingertips, this is even more of a slobberknocker.

Other two are pretty straightforward— Kenobi whoopa dat ass (FINALLY he gets to wreck **** after running the Rey, Yoda, Sithperor gauntlet lol)

And Nyriss by herself torched a Textile/Lord Scourge trump. Dark Woman isn’t on the level of either, let alone both, and Nyriss gets Jadus to boot.

Happy to blow out the trump more if any judges want-- Nyriss is a big part of the Revan novel, but Jadus is part of the Imperial Agent class story in the original SWTOR and so maybe a bit more obscure. He's a beast of a partner though, and funny enough can even match Kuro's teleporting lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Desann has been hanging out with Shaq during team meetings, and would like to provide a freestyle rap as his argument

[​IMG]

My Name is Desann / and none of you is even decent
    you got no real feats / Legends EU or the Recent
    Maybe in a ship, or maybe in a plane
    But in this fight you'll get my lightsaber to your brain
    Saesee Tiin ... you'll never win
    You were part of the four / in a four on one
    but you went down quicker than McNeely vs. Tyson
    Marris Brood, what you got like two scenes?
    You're the counterbalance to luke to bring Force Power to the mean.
    Your video game mechanics might make you feel neat
    But we got Luke and Katarn for our high end feat
    Adi Gallia - you couldn't handle Greivous / And he ain't got the Force
    Savage ****ed you up once / we'll **** you up worse
    You can't handle both of us / you probably can't beat just the Dino
    We're gonna leave you feeling worse / than a rehabbing French whino

24. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    I’m getting that tattooed in script on my ribcage

25. Darth_Furio