main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 26th SWC/EUC Starfighter Draft: The Last Rogues; Congratulations to DarkEagle, our Champion!!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Point Given , Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  2. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    If something recently happened to KenKenobi I’m going to think someone put a curse upon us judges. My horse uncharacteristically misjudged a jump two weeks ago and i have a jammed shoulder and broken collarbone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Damn, I need to fire my witch-doctor that sucks. Hope you both feel better [:D]

5. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I'm nursing a torn groin muscle from playing ball and I'm not kidding

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Glad I decided to go and not judge this one

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Slowly getting better. Since I can actually go back to work now, I figure I'll continue with this.

Next is #9, #2, and #1!

A Box of Scraps
    (1) vs Pander Squadron (2)

#9. Ace Azzameen vs Kylo Ren - I'm open to arguments, leaning Ace @DarkEagle @dp4m
    #2. Derek "Hobbie" Klivian vs Kell Tainer TRUMPED with Jek Porkins
    #1. Shara Bey TRUMPED with L'ulo L'ampar vs Kell Tainer TRUMPED with Jek Porkins (FORFEIT)

Twin Sons Squadron
    (1) vs Thanos Snapped Away the Good Pilots on this Squadron (2)

#9. Jake Farrell TRUMPED with Kyle Katarn vs Ooryl Qyrgg - Leaning Ooryl but open to arguments @DarthIntegral @SithOverlord101
    #2. Jacen Solo TRUMPED with Anakin Solo vs Kyp Durron - Heavily leaning Solo Trump but I'll take an argument
    #1. Poe Dameron vs Garik "Face" Loran TRUMPED with Voort "Piggy" saBinring

FELowship of Sebatyne (2) vs Turbocanon Squadron (0) - 1 DRAW

#9. Juno Eclipse vs Darth Vader - Oh
    #2. Zekk TRUMPED with Cade Skywalker vs Ahsoka Tano - I think since it's a trump, it wins.
    #1. Turr Phennir vs Jango Fett

@KenKenobi @ma_petite

cubman987 likes this.
  8. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    Some of these I could go either way on, so whoever makes a post I’ll likely lean that way. Bonus if you make me laugh.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Jake Farrell TRUMPED with Kyle Katarn vs Ooryl Qyrgg

You can lean Ooryl are you want, but let's not forget that this is a character that was so unimportant, the writers couldn't even keep straight how to spell his name. You want to vote for Captain Covfefe? You be my guest. Me? I'll take the pilots who aren't victim to name changes based on typos.

And, for an argument based on merits, Ooryl is a pilot best shown as a supporting pilot. He's never the star, and for good reason. When he's second- or third- or lower in command, his squads tend to do well, because he is a great supporting pilot. he can pick off one lesser fighter and help his overall team. But he's not the kind of pilot to take down a top pilot, and he's not the kind of pilot to bust anything other than the most basic trump (i.e. unnamed piloting battle droid #23 TRUMPED with unnamed piloting battle droid +31). Again, I give Ooryl credit for what he is - a supportin character. But he's not a trump buster, even a trump as admittedly underwhelming as Jake and Kyle.

Jacen Solo TRUMPED with Anakin Solo vs Kyp Durron

Anakin is a more skilled pilots than Kyp. Kyp's only advantage is his durability and experience. Jacen tips the scales, and the unbelievable mind meld these two share turns them into so much more than just the sum of their parts. Nothing funny to say on this one. Best piloting skills + Incredibly teamwork + immense advantage from mind meld >>> experience.

Point Given likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    holy crap. i'm so sorry to hear that, but i'm glad it wasn't worse. hope you are resting and recovering well.

11. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    Thanks! Yeah the whole thing could have been a lot worse. The horse went down as well which is never good and always more dangerous. Thankfully she loves me and contorted herself to flip away from me instead of onto me and when she got up and was 2 inches from me she immediately backed up so as not to accidentally step on me.

I’m resting terribly because I hate not doing things. I overdid it badly this week and had to force myself to rest all day today because of it. 3 weeks in now, so things are getting better but that’s almost worse because I then overdo it.

12. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Christ, sey.

My groin is actually a labrum tear but rather than surgery I'm just gonna try to bust my ass to make the muscles around it strong.

Do not judge the Starfighter Draft.

Ace over Kylo-- Not close to me
    Hobbie over Kell/Porkins
    "Shara"/L'ulo via forfeit

I'll wait for @SithOverlord101 if he wants to jump in on Jake/Kyle vs. Ooryl, but leaning The Whitest Named Guy Trump for now
    Solos over Kyp-- Would be awesome to see though, and I could actually see Kyp trying to **** with the Mind Meld but at the end of the day they're just too much
    Poe over Face/Piggy-- Ouch

Vader over Juno
    Zekk/Cade over Ahsoka-- Weird trump I could see Ahsoka knocking out Cade potentially, but Zekk can Mind Meld with him at least
    Phennir over Jango-- Never thought I'd see this in an SFD lol

13. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    Katarn does not pilot that much, so it basically comes down to Jake vs. Ooryl, which the Gand pilot wins easily.

Oh, and Kyp chucks a black hole at the Solo Kids after informing Anakin that Jacen tricked Tahiri into falling to the dark side, which provides the necessary distraction.

14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Confirming picks

A Box of Scraps
    (1) vs Pander Squadron (2)

#9. Ace Azzameen vs Kylo Ren
    #2. Derek "Hobbie" Klivian vs Kell Tainer TRUMPED with Jek Porkins
    #1. Shara Bey TRUMPED with L'ulo L'ampar vs Kell Tainer TRUMPED with Jek Porkins (FORFEIT)

Twin Sons Squadron
    (1) vs Thanos Snapped Away the Good Pilots on this Squadron (2)

#9. Jake Farrell TRUMPED with Kyle Katarn vs Ooryl Qyrgg
    #2. Jacen Solo TRUMPED with Anakin Solo vs Kyp Durron
    #1. Poe Dameron vs Garik "Face" Loran TRUMPED with Voort "Piggy" saBinring

FELowship of Sebatyne (2) vs Turbocanon Squadron (0) - 1 DRAW

#9. Juno Eclipse vs Darth Vader
    #2. Zekk TRUMPED with Cade Skywalker vs Ahsoka Tano
    #1. Turr Phennir vs Jango Fett

@ma_petite and @KenKenobi for Jake/Kyle v Ooryl

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    SithOverlord101 likes this.
  15. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    So I cracked open some books, and I think Inty's kinda right. In I, Jedi alone Ooryl gets disabled twice (once by a rando clutch and again by Corran, who notes his skill but quickly owns him). He does seem to be more of a sidekick dude, whereas Farrell trained Rookie One and led him through Yavin, then helped down Executor and flew a good bit of the trench run at Endor. Those are solid feats in epic engagements, and while Kyle isn't much of a positive here, he's at least another craft Ooryl has to engage with to potentially give Jake an opening. Whitest Named Guy Trump for me.

Sidenote, and I don't mean to steam up @ma_petite's screen, but the way Corran dispatches Ooryl is masterful. I know I, Jedi is a bit of a Gary Stu treatment for him, but he basically calmly takes Ooryl through some maneuvers and assesses him through the Force until he discovers Ooryl's pattern for tracking him, then easily exploits it. It's an exceptional dogfighting display and also why-- in the hands of a real pilot-- the Force can be such an unbelievable asset. The idea that it was ever considered anything but, or worse somehow a hindrance, will always baffle me. And no I'm not sorry for beating that drum for the millionth time!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  16. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    @KenKenobi Corran would own the Whitest Named Guy Trump as well. Additionally, Ooryl fought at the Battle of Bilbringi at the end of the Thrown campaign with RS -- which should be considered an epic engagement itself. As good as this trump is (particularly Farrell), it still lost earlier this draft to Vult Skerris, who is definitely Ooryl's inferior.

17. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    I’m going to pick Ooryl. I am sure there is some sort of terrible bias I have but he managed to stay on Corran’s wing for many years and Corran is the best pilot in this draft which I’m glad @KenKenobi is finally realizing how masterfully Corran uses the force with his natural piloting skill. :p

@Havac once put up the best argument ever for Ooryl and since then I just think he’s way better than most other people think.

KenKenobi likes this.
  18. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Just to clarify lol

19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    We end with #4, #6, #8, and #3!

A Box of Scraps (4) vs Pander Squadron (2)

#4. Syal Antilles vs Mara Jade Skywalker TRUMPED with Ben Skywalker
    #6. Saba Sebatyne vs Mara Jade Skywalker TRUMPED with Ben Skywalker (FORFEIT)
    #8. L'ulo L'ampar TRUMPED with Shara Bey (FORFEIT) vs Carth Onasi
    #3. Inyri Forge vs Dash Rendar - Closer match than I thought, overall

Twin Sons Squadron
    (3) vs Thanos Snapped Away the Good Pilots on this Squadron (3)

#4. Shawnkyr Nurodo vs Myn Donos - I think Myn is underrated
    #6. Jacen Solo TRUMPED with Anakin Solo (FORFEIT) vs Aril Nunb
    #8. Kyle Katarn TRUMPED with Jake Farrell (FORFEIT) vs Octa Ramis
    #3. Tycho Celchu vs Voort "Piggy" saBinring TRUMPED with Garik "Face" Loran (FORFEIT)

FELowship of Sebatyne (4) vs Turbocanon Squadron (1) - 1 DRAW

#4. Maarek Stele TRUMPED with Gunn Yage (FORFEIT) vs Fenn Rau TRUMPED with Sabine Wren (FORFEIT) - DRAW
    #6. Soontir Fel vs Vult Skerris
    #8. Tesar Sebatyne TRUMPED with Lowbacca (FORFEIT) vs Ciena Ree TRUMPED with Thane Kyrell (FORFEIT) - DRAW (STOP ****ING TRUMPING)
    #3. Cade Skywalker TRUMPED with Zekk (FORFEIT) vs Boba Fett

@ma_petite, @KenKenobi

SithOverlord101 and cubman987 like this.
  20. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    I agree.

21. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
  22. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Your updated standings! And tiers.

Clinched

1. A Box of Scraps (5-1, 35-25)
    2. Thanos Snapped Away the Good Pilots on this Squadron (5-1, 33-26-1)

In The Hunt

3. Han and Hera's Heroes (3-2, 26-21-3)
    4. Awesome Air Force Patches (3-2, 25-24-1)
    5. Twin Sons Squadron (3-3, 29-28-3)
    6. FELowship of Sebatyne (3-3, 28-26-6)

Can't Make Playoffs

7. Turbocanon Squadron (1-5, 18-36-6)
    8. Pander Squadron (0-6, 24-32-4)

A Box of Scraps
    (@DarkEagle ) vs Turbocanon Squadron (@Blackhole E Snoke)

Awesome Air Force Patches
    (@Darth_Furio) vs Pander Squadron (@dp4m)

Han and Hera's Heroes
    (@Jordan1Kenobi ) vs Thanos Snapped Away the Good Pilots on this Squadron (@SithOverlord101 )

Numbers by Sunday evening please

SithOverlord101 likes this.
  23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh goodness, I completely forgot I was in this. Had a lot going on in the previous months. I won't forget again! Numbers in.

24. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    That field seems pretty set, so unless anyone* terribly objects based on their schedules up to this point, why don't we just start the playoffs now?

3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5 with DE and Sith getting byes

I'm ready for some playoffs baby!

*anyone other than dp

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.