main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2nd Term of the Obama Administration: Facts, Opinions, and Discussions

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    President Barack Obama has been re-elected to the White House, with the final tally looking like it will be 51% to 47%. He is in much stronger position politically than expected, even among people who thought he would win the election. The President also seems much more energized, "fired up and ready to go."

How will the Second Term of the Obama Administration go? And, in review (although officially there's still another month), how did the First Term go?

2008:
    [​IMG]

2012:
    [​IMG]

Previous threads...
    * First Year of the Obama Administration:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...tion-facts-opinions-and-discussions.30333860/
    * Second Year of the Obama Administration:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...tion-facts-opinions-and-discussions.30705483/
    * Third Year of the Obama Administration:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...tion-facts-opinions-and-discussions.31419313/
    * Fourth Year of the Obama Administration:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...tion-facts-opinions-and-discussions.32049076/

What do I think is on the Obama administration's policy agenda?
    1. Tax/Entitlement Reform & Infrastructure Investment (possibly dealt with as early as this winter)
    2. Immigration Reform (possibly dealt with by this summer)
    3. General Government Reform
    4. Progress on Marriage Equality and Civil Rights, like repealing DOMA and passing ENDA
    5. Withdrawal from Afghanistan
    6. Action on Syria
    7. Preventing Iran from getting a nuclear weapon
    8. Possibly Israeli-Arab peace
    9. Possibly state flexibility on marijuana laws
    10. Possibly progress on Civil Liberties, like regulations on drones and closing Guantanamo

2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    SOSDD

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "What do I think is on the Obama administration's policy agenda?"
    [​IMG]

I agree with you that he will bring peace between Israel & Palestine.

4. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Some times i wonder to myself..."Isnt there this drug war in mexico that might be of some conscern" but then I get distracted by something shiney.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, the 113th Congress begins today, even if Obama's 2nd term technically begins on Inauguration Day on Monday, January 21st in a little over two weeks.

We didn't get a big Tax & Entitlement Reform deal (along with permanent spending cuts, reform of the general government bureaucracy, and infastructure investment) from the Fiscal Cliff, but there's still the possibility of that in a few months (though it will be much harder for Democrats to accept).

Immigration Reform is still a top priority, and Gun Violence Prevention can now be added to the list after the elementary school shooting in Sandy Hook, CT.

Leader Reid is also expected to act and pursue some form of Filibuster Reform.

And there's still several issues and crises in the Middle East to worry about.

How do people predict the 2nd term will go?

6. Bad Bad Leroy Brown

Bad Bad Leroy Brown Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    Doub it. But at least he is not as close to Bibi as Romney was.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Energy will play an important role in the next four years.

Despite endless idle talk about the U.S. being awash in crude oil again, U.S. gasoline prices hit an all time high annual average in 2012. I will not be surprised if we reach a new annual average peak in 2013. World oil prices would have been much higher were it not for the U.S. energy savings resulting from great recession economic contraction, U.S. energy savings resulting from gradual replacement of the U.S. vehicle fleet with more fuel-efficient models, and ongoing European economic malaise. Global energy supply and demand remain precariously balanced. Iranian oil exports have declined dramatically due to sanctions, but have now been passed by increasing Iraqi production, which is now returned to year 2000 levels with continued growth possible. Saudi oil production seems to have dropped from a recent peak.

Securing coastal energy infrastructure and indeed all infrastructure from the effects of climate change is going to cost hundreds of billions of dollars. People asked after Katrina whether New Orleans was worth saving from being reclaimed by the gulf. No one will question the value of protecting Manhattan. Hardening New York against future flooding is going to eventually have to become one of the biggest infrastructure projects ever.

Also, we're in sight of summers free of arctic sea ice. That means the 13-30% of global undiscovered oil/natural gas reserves located in the arctic may become more and more accessible. The scrambling for control over those resources should be exciting. And of course exploiting those resources will accelerate climate change.

8. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Considering the inhospitability of the artic, and the cost of doing buisness up there, and 1 bad eruption senting the world into another year without a summer at any random time Artic drilling dosent seem cost effective in the grand scheme of things. People rather deal with unstable regions and dictators than deal with environmental instability, and can you name any environment of earth more unstable than the artic?

Not to mention there is no garuntee of any significant reserves for increased modern consuption.

Its a better tactic to use the oil we have avilable building an infrastructure that requires far, far, far les oil than we use today.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't worry, I did not mean a word of it. I agree about the positives regarding his relationship with Bibi.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    HIs State of the Union address in Feburary will be interesting to see and hear.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm guessing the GOP learned their lesson and won't be heckling the Prez this time around.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know. They're dense. Is Michelle Bachmann still blaming him for the H1N1 outbreak, encouraging people not to fill out the census, and accusing him of sending children to concentration camps?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *blink blink*

I hadn't heard the concentration camp one. That's rich coming from her, considering she and her husband host "pray the gay away" reeducation camps.

Though, according the the derp thread, she's still calling for the repeal of the ACA.

14. Lanoree Brock

Lanoree Brock Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    Didn't she say that she wants Mcarthy style purges within the US Government on Chris Matthews?

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Does everyone remember this?

"The debt ceiling will come up again, and shutdown and default will be threatened, chilling the economy.”
    ---Mitt Romney's closing argument

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/romney-new-recession-warning.php

Let's hope Romney ends up being wrong about that, too. Kind of like when Mitch McConnell said this:
    "One issue I’ve never been conflicted about is taxes. I wasn’t sent to Washington to raise anybody’s taxes to pay for more wasteful spending and this election doesn’t change my principles. This election was a disappointment, without doubt, but let’s be clear about something: the House is still run by Republicans, and Republicans still maintain a robust minority in the Senate. I know some people out there think Tuesday’s results mean Republicans in Washington are now going to roll over and agree to Democrat demands that we hike tax rates before the end of the year. I’m here to tell them there is no truth to that notion whatsoever."

Yeah, I think that was 4 years ago or so, it's what made her famous.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    She also more or less implied that Census workers should be killed. A short time later a census worker was found dead (cause of death listed as suicide, but the family doesn't buy it)

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I came right to the bottom-most post and see all these references to this unknown "she", and as I scroll upwards I instantly think "Michelle Bachmann" despite my not having kept track of any of her recent antics. I'm rather pleasantly (or unpleasantly) surprised to see I was right.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How far will Obama be willing to go on Entitlement Reform and Spending Cuts?

:eek:[face_shhh]

Don't type her name! It is "She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."

19. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    nowhere. i mean, he's already managed to separate it out from the revenue deal and i think he'll keep maneuvering to put it off and put it off and put it off. entitlements are the dems' bread and butter, their holy grail, the single biggest argument for the perpetuation of big fat gubmint that they have! they can't mess with it - it'll ruin 'em.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A list of some of Obama's 1st term accomplishments (not complete):
    Healthcare Reform
    Financial Reform (Dodd-Frank)
    Return to Clinton-era tax rates for those making more than $400k
    Auto Bailout
    DADT repeal
    Lily Ledbetter Act
    New START Treaty
    Withdrawal from Iraq
    Killing Osama bin Laden
    Credit Card reform
    Student Loan reform
    "Race to the Top" and NCLB waivers for education
    Toughest Iran sanctions ever
    Helping Libyan rebels take out Gadhafi
    3 free trade agreements
    Strengthening ties with countries from Australia to Burma to India to form a barrier around China
    2 Supreme Court justices
    Patent reform
    Expanding AmeriCorps
    Securng loose nuclear weapons material around the world
    Raising fuel efficiency standards
    Ending torture

In summer of 2011, Obama wanted a "Grand Bargain" that reduced the deficit by $4 trillion over 10 years, including entitlement reform. Republicans thought he wasn't giving enough, and we ended up with a much smaller deal.

Just recently with the "fiscal cliff" talks, Obama again wanted a "Grand Bargain" that reduced the deficit by trillions of dollars over 10 years, including entitlement reform. Republicans thought he wasn't giving enough, and we ended up with a much smaller deal.

Now, Obama is yet again hoping the next round (in only 2 months or so) will be a "Grand Bargain." Including entitlement reform. Obama has been singling out Medicare Reform in speeches ever since the "fiscal cliff" deal was reached. I think he's serious. And we know the Republicans will demand it. Let's just hope they don't demand too much again, and we're stuck with yet another small deal.

EDIT: I also wonder if anything will be done on campaign finance (DISCLOSE Act) or voting rights (I think AG Holder proposed a modern voter registration system where everyone is automatically registered to vote at 18, and registration automaticall updated when you move... that would be a game-changer). I have a feeling that we'd be talking more about these issues if Obama had lost...

21. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yes i know, i just don't see it happening in any significant way. sorry dude!!!

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He said in his speech after the Fiscal Cliff deal was reached that he was willing to talk about Entitlement reform, but that he would not negotiate about the Debt Ceiling.

Summer Dreamer: Since you brought up Holder, it would be amusingly ironic to me that the one person the Tea Party/GOP wanted out so badly is one of the few from Obama's 1st term that remains at his post.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I'm hoping he refuses to negotiate on the debt ceiling. That hostage situation needs to end; it's one of the most ridiculous, childish, and ignorant acts I've ever seen in politics.

Obama also - at least in his Convention speech - said he'd be willing to sign Simpson-Bowles if Congress passes it. Of course, Ryan wouldn't even vote to let it out of committee because it...raised taxes :)

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Being friendly with enough countries to draw a box around China on a map is an accomplishment?

That seems like a bit of a stretch, to me.

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Being friendly with enough countries to draw a box around China on a map is an accomplishment?[/quote]
    Well that probably speaks more to China's silly and counter-productive chest-thumping than to anything we did ourselves.

DarthBoba likes this.