main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends The Absent - Jaina, Jacen, sad/comfort, one-shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by mayo_durron_666, Sep 13, 2021.

1. mayo_durron_666

mayo_durron_666 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2005
    Basics: Jaina misses a loved one whilst at a party. Thankfully she’s not the only one. One-shot. Sad/comfort. Sibling love. AU. Old EU.
    Extra info: This one-shot is inspired by an MMM Challenge 11: Just a touch.

The Absent

Jaina stared out at the city skyline.

It was night time. The metropolis lights shimmered and winked in the darkness. It looked cold. Drizzle swept across the concrete horizon on a harsh wind, it grew heavy and blurred the window.

Its contents forgotten for a moment, she clutched the wineglass tighter and solemnly observed the weather.

Tonight was a happy occasion. In the window’s reflection Jaina could see her family and friends; their easy smiles, deep conversations and familiar laughter. There was joy and warmth here.

She couldn’t feel it though. Not entirely.

The surrounding merriment couldn’t squash the pang that rippled through her chest. She fiddled with her necklace and sipped her drink slowly. Each little movement was a reprieve, however brief, from the pain.

Ten years had passed and today was the anniversary of his death.

Taken too young. He deserved better. Jaina thought. He should be here. Instead, I must stand here and notice his absence.

Lost in sad thoughts, wine drained and feeling as miserable as the rain outside, Jaina didn’t notice a tall figure approach. He stood close and remained silent. They seemed to understand her mood and didn’t wish to disturb it.

A strong hand touched her shoulder. It squeezed gently. Reminded her she wasn’t alone. That others had spotted the absence too.

Jaina took a breath and looked up at their joint reflections. Of course, he would sense her emotions. He would know the ache inside. She wasn’t alone in her grief.

Jacen held her glance. His expression was all-knowing and full of the same heartache consuming her.

Softly her brother admitted,
    “I miss him too.”

Simple words, spoken so carefully, sorrow in each syllable.

Now it was Jaina’s turn. She raised a hand and pressed it to his. Her grip was firm. It was a show of solidarity. A small attempt at comfort.

Eventually she found her voice and replied,
    “I wish he was here. I wish he could see us now.”

Jacen turned his sister around until she faced him directly,
    “So do I. But Anakin wouldn’t want us to wallow. If he saw us now, he’d tell us to stop moping and join the party.”

They shared small smiles of agreement.

Wiping at her eyes, Jaina nodded,
    “You’re right, he would say that.”

Jacen pulled Jaina into a hug, whispered loving words into her hair and kissed her forehead.

She was reluctant at first but soon embraced him back. It was needed. So desperately needed. She didn’t realise how much until she was in her brother’s arms. His strength warmed and enveloped her. It gave her courage. It helped her balance the turmoil rolling around inside.

Neither of them could take away the awful pain. But they could share in it, confront it together and be there for each other.

“Mummy, mummy,” A small boy ran over to them and tugged at Jaina’s dress, “there’s cake in the fridge. Can we have some?”

The Solo twins chuckled at the innocent intrusion and parted so Jaina could pick up her son,
    “We’ll cut the cake in a moment, baby.”

Jacen ruffled his nephew’s dark curls,
    “Trust you to find the desert, you sneaky bantha.” as the boy giggled, Jacen took his sister’s wineglass and started to head towards the kitchen, “I’ll go top you up and prepare the cake.”

“Thanks, Jacen.”

Both Solos knew she was thanking him for more than just the wine and cake.

“Anytime sis, anytime.”

Fin.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautifully touching words and also silent comfort. The sweet, exuberant interruption reminded Jaina of all she has to be happy about I'm sure, even in the midst of sadness. A very poignant sibling/family moment.

Kahara and mayo_durron_666 like this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great moment between the twins Jaina and Jacen to remember their brother Anakin

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    You had me hooked from the beginning! I could perfectly envision the setting and really feel Jaina's pain as her grief swelled to the point just before:

Yeeeesssss! Canon, what canon? This is such a beautiful glimpse of what should have been with Jacen and Jaina leaning on each other to heal. Just as they should have done from the beginning.[face_love]

And then, with the next generation there too and so much light to look forward to after the dark . . . Perfect. [face_love]

I very much enjoyed this piece, just as I always enjoy your work! Thanks for helping us keep the memory of the EU alive with yet another gem like this one. =D= [:D]

5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 6

Oct 3, 2016
    I forgot how much I miss reading Legends era stories, especially revolving around Jacen and Jaina. This was very sad but also sweet.

6. Destiny975

Destiny975 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2021
    It's really cute and sweet, I loved it.

7. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    This.

As Mira said, What canon? We needed this. Thanks for writing.