main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Academy - *The NEW Role Playing Forum (RPF) Adoption's Program* - New Coordinator!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Ktala, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Continued...

[Personal Ship
    -Name: n/a (not applicable)

Biography
    -Brief History: Jedi Watchman for Hutt Space. Dispensed what justice he could for the best part of fifteen years before perishing when Separatist droid armies first encroached on the region, apparently taking the ?neutral territory? signs as the extra-orbital equivalent of road-marking cats eyes, rather than the intended invitation to drokk off and bother someone else.

--Military History: Raging ?Can?t you people read?!? at a hillside of battledroids and Baktoid AAT Armoured Assault Tanks.

---Traumatic Experiences: When alive, assisting at a difficult Hutt birth, where the mother?s life was in danger of being poisoned after the egg breached inside her.. Somewhere in Hutt Space, there is a young member of that race named for him.

----Anything else: Inexplicably, is sometimes confused with the Miralukan jedi who fell out the side of a gunship.

-Lightsabre: n/a.

Okay, then, the next stage is down to you. Using the empty template above, complete a character sheet of your own, then post it here for me to check and give feedback on.

If you want to get some roleplaying use out of it, then follow this link to our Auditorium (Adoptions mini-Training Game, read the intro post, and complete the CS template over there, with a character that would be suitable for that game.

Then post that here, as well as PMing it to Ktala.

If you have any questions, to do with this, or roleplaying in general, I will try to answer them here.

Sithy

2. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Bravo, Sithy! Great rules. Wish I had read it that simple.

3. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    :) Thanks, Spike! Feedback much appreciated.

In fact, since I know you can do character sheets for people, perhaps you could try doing one for a ship, please.

Although a [b]character sheet[/b]'s first use is to get a GM's approval, it has a seccondary use within the game as a reference for the other players when their character meets yours for the very first time.

Anyway, back to ships.

Depending on the size, type, or subject of game, a GM might permit you to introduce a starship along with your character.
    To get from A to B, or to lead into battle for a fleet engagement.

GMs should be advised if you are going to introduce any large, potential weapon, into their game.

As discussed, the Star Destroyer-tossing bloke out of [i]The Force Unleashed[/i] might be regarded as too powerful for the game. In the same light, if you want to turn up to a cantina-based game with your own Super Star Destroyer, the GM is going to want a good explanation.

So here is a CS addendum that would follow a regular CS:

[b]Personal ship[/b]
    [b]Name:[/b] The [i]Detective Wyms[/i]
    [b]Class:[/b] Firespray
    [b]Weapons systems:[/b] Twin Borstel GN-40 rotating heavy blasters, Krupx MG9 proton torpodoes
    [b]Crew Complement:[/b] 1-3
    [b]Hyperspace Capability:[/b] Yes

The players that you are interacting with, can work with this. Adding a picture enhances the information as well.

Just writing "There is a ship", giving it a name in italics, and trusting that the other players will read your mind to see how cool the vessel is, is not practical.

We need more.

4. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Nice work on CS you do there, Sithy.

If nobody else wants to have it, I do force users. I think I played a bunch of them . . .

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you, LordT.

Yes please, if you can write up some advice new roleplayers considering playing Force Users should consider, go for it!

:)

And thank you for the feedback too.

6. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    *Walks through the halls of the Academy and peeks into the windows of various training rooms. He starts to remenise about the past year.*

Wow, I remember when this thread was starting out. IIRC I was one of the original three students.

Now I am venturing out and attempting new things in the RPF.

For one I am working on starting a small SWRP for me to GM.

And for another I am in the process of joining my first NSWRP. (Plus, I am attempting to play a CS of the opposite gender.)

Well I guess I should go back to lurking around the boards.

Keep up the good work Ktala, Sith-I-5, and all the other instructors.

*Slowly walks back out of the Academy to face the wide world of TF.N*

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Up in the Staff Room, Sith-I-5 watched CPL's departure up the gravelled driveway leading back to RPF City, and boundless adventure.

Good student, he mused, pleased that the young player had gotten the telepathic communication thing over in the mini-RPG being run in the Auditorium.

Turning back to the low glass-topped coffee table before his easy chair, I-5's gaze alighted upon his unfinished lesson, on the far-reaching consequences of god-moding and auto-hitting, entitled 'Emergency Ward Ten.'

"Am I being too preachy?" He wondered, looking it over.

8. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Auditorium

An person comes running though the halls of the Academy, a stack of papers in hand. He makes his way to the Auditorium, and without looking up, begins his class.

----

Welcome to Roleplaying Posting for Dummies. I?m your instructor, Professor Ramza, and I?ll be running you through the basic format of the roleplaying post (Hereafter RPP).

The Basics

In general, an RPP has four major components that you should aim to include every time. They are, in the order in which you should include them:

* Character Name ? Your character?s? well, name.

* Location ? As general or precise as you like. The only optional portion of the RPP, the location is extremely useful in helping to establish your character?s in-game area for ease of reference.

* Body ? Arguably the most important part of the RPP, the body contains a description of your character?s thoughts, actions, expressions, mood, looks ? essentially, however much detail you feel is necessary. Traditionally this is written in the third person limited ("He/she/it"), although first person perspective ("I/me/my") is seeing some implementation.

* TAGs ? A distinctly unique aspect of the RPP, the TAG is just that, a tag ? you provide a quick reference of relevant players, and, as a courtesy, the GM.

The Body

The single most important aspect of an RPP, the body describes your actions. It is, in that sense, the lifeblood of the RPF, moreso than any other post element. The body can range from the extremely simple, to the extremely complex. To borrow an example from Saintheart?s Our Games and How to Play Them (An excellent and far more elaborate discourse on the subject, practically essential reading even for Academy graduates), the basic Body would look like this:

Sparse Example posted:

Luke strode across the room, igniting his lightsaber. He hoped the stormtroopers on the other side of the far door wouldn?t hear him coming.

[hr]
    [/blockquote]

Now, a more complex body can, and arguably should, be much longer. For example:

[blockquote] [b]Better Example posted[/b]:
    [hr]
    Ar?kalis gritted his teeth, sensing the evil atmosphere around the door. He was not born yesterday. Sith Lords hardly ever left their caverns open for business ? and an ancient Sith trick was to hide evil inside innocent surroundings. He had learned much of such constructions over his life. Crouching, the Jedi peered closer at the activation plate, searching for anything out of the ordinary about the ancient steel plate. Saying a little prayer, he pressed the activation plate and, when the door had swung open, advanced slowly through the doorway.

[hr]
    [/blockquote]

Lastly, there?s an example of what you should [color=red]never do[/color], which is make a poorly written body with lots of chatspeak and smilies in it:

[blockquote] [b]Terrible Example posted[/b]:
    [hr]
    i go thru door kk? :D :D :D lol
    [hr][/blockquote]

Hopefully I don?t need to go into further detail as to why this is a bad example. Remember, proper grammar and spelling can and will earn you a lot more respect in the RPF, and like some kind of stereotypical mobster family, it?s important to garner a lot of respect.

[b]TAGs[/b]

A uniquely RPF innovation, the TAG is a simple system of informing players that they are involved in, or could potentially have witnessed, the contents of your post. Players on other planets not directly in contact with your character or actively communicating with your character within the body of your post should not be tagged.

Thus, "TAG: All" is an all too common, and erroneous, faux pax. It is only applicable in small-scale games where the entire cast is in contact at that moment. Otherwise, single out individual players or a general grouping, EG "TAG: username, username" or "TAG: Folks in the cantina." If an NPC is directly

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    The list will be up shortly. Right now, I am checking with the current list of teachers, to see if they are still available to take on new students..

Thank you!

10. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Excellent lesson Ramza!!!

It would be nice if everyone followed you example of how a RP post should be formatted.

But as we all know, individuals will be individuals.

Once again, bravo!

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, yes, the world would be a much happier place if everyone listened to me, I'm well aware of this.:p

But seriously, thanks Macja, it means a lot.:D

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Actually, yes. That was a very insightful article. Well written, Darthramza.

Thank you for writing that for our students!

13. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    The new list for the Academy has been updated and Posted on the first page.

Please take a look at it, and let me know if there are any changes to be made.

Thank you.

And
    *Thanks to Imperial_Hammer, for the update.* :D

~K~

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sithy?s Short, Amateur, and Possibly Quite In-accurate Summary of the Difference Between a Newbie and a N00b

Disclaimer: I don?t actually know what the difference between a newbie and a n00b is.

Both types of new players will have a go at roleplaying, but make errors in formatting, logic, or grammar, that mark them out as new.

More experienced players will feel the need to provide advice, generally to help the new guy or girl fit in as soon as possible, but it will be the learner?s reaction to such advice that differentiates them.

Newbies will be open-minded, and accept the advice, working it into their way of doing things. Might even show gratitude.

N00bs may regard such advice as a personal affront, and/or use the text-speaker?s defence of ?You know what I meant though.?

Sure, knowing or recognising what you meant is one thing. We?re not Threepio units; we shouldn?t have to rely on our knowledge of Bocce to understand what the heck you just said.

EXAMPLE
    Just now, elsewhere on the Welcome New Users board, I came across mention of Rouge Jedi.
    We come across these occasionally during the course of our gaming careers, along with rouge Sith, and the infamous liberators of Borleias, Rouge Squadron.
    Our wittier players respond with vague remarks about redness, which tend to fall flat because the original poster fails to spot the pun, but then, once subtlety has been shelved, we?ll just OOC:

?Uh, you probably mean Rogue Squadron, since ?Rouge? is a French word meaning ?red?.?

Should you fire back with, ?But you know what I mean.? that will have us typing up your ?N00b? badge, and calling around to see who has a laminating machine and a safety pin.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Wow, thanks, 'Ramza! Uh..., Professor.

Nice link to add a new dimension to the subject!

Instructors, please note that Differences between a Newbie and a n00b is still available as a subject to write an article for, as well as The Top Ten Things - that can REALLY ANNOY a Player!

17. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Expect the force user class within 7 - 10 days . . . I am writing on it, right now. ;)

18. Darth_Cadaverous

Darth_Cadaverous Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2008
    From the darkest corner of the room, a set of darkly yellow and red tinged eyes peer out. Then the unmistakable click, step of someone with a walking stick emerges forth. Dressed from head to toe, in old ancient robes of dark lords. Nothing was visible except his bone white hands, and his eyes. "Ah, so we continue, good. Yes, I-5, I was known as jedi_killeroak. However, he has been laid to rest and I emerged. To claim my place, as Dark Rogue."

"If I can be any help, just PM me. I may even be nice." A wide smile creased his unseen face. Then the figure turned and faded from sight as he walked back to the corner.

19. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002

:D[face_laugh]

[face_whistling]

I LOVE IT!! Oh my,... lol!

*Bookmarks site*

Thank you!
    *bows*

8-}

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Right, we have a new (and second) training game for everyone who wants to jump into roleplaying.

Courtesy of LordTroepfchen, The Silent Cities of Coruscant is located on the Role Playing Forum, and to access, click here.

For this, anyone can join, at any time, and there is no need for a character sheet.

New players, to join, you have to play a canon SW character, so look on the roster on the first screen, and see which character, and which version of them, has been taken.

You can play Luke if there is already one there, as long as you both are from different places in the saga history.

Instructions are on the first page there too.

Students and mentors are welcome to go across, and play together.
    If you are awaiting a teacher, you can still join, and GMs and experienced players will be there to assist, and answer any questions.

Over the coming days, I will send PMs out about this game too.

21. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, Sithy said it all. So I can only repeat my invitation to everyone interested in RPing, learning or trying or simply doing it . . . is welcome over there!

We will help with anything, but basically we invite you come over and have fun!

See you on Coruscant!

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Following students PMed about the new game

Fallen Hero
    Mecatolrex
    Vaynx_Fett
    Gurthrim_Lah
    Bushido Soul
    Skiara
    EpiThree
    fuego

BrentSohlden's profile appears to have been erased, so we can consider him no longer waiting for a teacher.

23. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the invitation. But right now, I like to focus on the one game I'm a player in already. :)

[Edit: Post number 50,000! *passes out*]

24. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Important Announcement: New Adoptions Coordinator!

I think we can all agree that Ktala has done a magnificent job with this program. She's built it from the ground up, gotten it running, herded RPF oldbies over here in the WNU to post articles (no mean feat, that), come up with an Adoptions game ... she is a class act and we wouldn't have this place without her.

But now it's time to give someone new a go, and that person is Sith-I-5!

Sithy has been a big contributor to this program for the last couple of months. He's posted updates, written articles, PMed people and generally assisted in the running of this place, and Ktala and I agree that he would be a great choice to take over the reins.

Bear with us for the next few days while we complete the handover. For now, let's give it up for Ktala and Sithy, everyone! =D=

25. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks Ktala for your great work! [:D] As Xany said you built it up and without you it would be what it is now. Thanks again and it would be cool to see you here (this thread and WNU in general) regularly. :)

I think you choose well! :)

Welcome Sithy as the new RPG Adoptions Coordinator! =D=

You know, you have to throw a party now? (and to tidy up afterwards, of course) [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.