main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Acolyte Official “The Acolyte” Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 22, 2020.

1. TheSithApologetic

TheSithApologetic Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2022
    The thing about Darth Plagueis is that in legends he was definitely evil. Did he have visions of doing good? Sure, in his own way. He didn’t believe the galaxy could be governed by many people in a democracy. He believed the Sith were shepherds that had to usher the masses, who in his point of view were just children floundering about. He didn’t think people could have the ability to govern themselves, and he had the absolute right to be at the head of power to lead. So, uh… fascism?

Teaching Palpatine everything was a fatal blindspot that led to his death, and he did have a “partnership” touch to his apprentice-master dynamic. While he could save those he “cared” about from death, it was for selfish reasons to further his scientific and biological study of the Force; experimentation, discovery, and a need to obtain immortality. He also coerced Palpatine into committing matricide, patricide, fratricide, and a vast array of very terrible things, as well.

The Sith embrace emotions and passions, and can “love” others. But truly the Dark Side is lust, and infatuation, and a spiral toward death.

Their version of “love” and “care” is the version that takes what it can, and gives nothing back. It’s all about my pleasure, my satisfaction, my enjoyment, my distractions from my problems. Not our beauty. our engagement in mutual fulfillment of one another. Darth Vader could argue he loved Padme, but he was willing to be one hand that destroyed everything she stood for, with absolutely no regard to her own thoughts and feelings, but his own.

Can the story follow a “good” Sith? Theoretically. If they face off against a much more “evil” threat, or do “good” things for their own selfish political gain.

Pirates and underworld preying on the folks of a region paramount to the Grand Plan and their own political advancement? Sith Lord comes in and wipes them out. Ala Darth Maul and Black Sun, or orchestrates the fall of the criminal group and establishes order in the region.

Deranged Dark-side cult is rising in the galaxy, vicious and evil with no thought but to consume the galaxy? Sith plan their demise because it will hinder the Grand Plan.

Honestly, I’d love to see elements from EU Sith books into live-action.

wobbits and Mostly Handless like this.
  2. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    MODified

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2022
  3. Paleof

Paleof Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2019
    I'm very excited for this show after reading the interview with Headland. She really gets it.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Headland’s comments have dramatically increased my interest in this show.

5. TheSithApologetic

Jun 8, 2022
    Same! I’m really looking forward to the interviews to come, and the leaks, too! Especially the leaks.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I get all of that, but I see an opportunity to do something new.

In real life not every dictator sets out with the initial goal of becoming a dictator. Sometimes they simply are someone that sees an injustice, like colonialism, and set out to stop it, but then in the power vacuum left behind become corrupted.

The Sith were an evil group if tyrants that ruled the Galaxy before turning on themselves and being defeated by the Jedi. They then hid for 1,000 years.

And we as fans just accept it that they were out there plotting to have their revenge that whole time, somehow still corrupting apprentices and turning on each other squabbling for power, when it would appear they had none.

Power corrupts, but the Sith have none. What does a Sith at rock bottom with no power look like?

I think it’s possible to put a different spin on it and explore that. Are they still yellow eyed, monstrous plotters?

Or perhaps they are passionate warriors fighting the Republic over its injustices and then recorrupt themselves as the Republic wanes and they begin to taste power again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I tend to think the greater evidence leans towards the idea that Star Wars has very blatantly clear capital-E Evil all over the place, especially in the Evil aligned factions, while it admits the heroes can have grayer morality rather than the simple capital-G Good guys that often accompany such clear villains.

The supposition is often far more that people are faced with clear injustice, filth, and barbarism and then *show how much moral character they have* then it is that there’s moral relativity.

The Empire is evil and without justification; senseless, sadistic mass murder and enslavement are the point of the system, in many ways, and it’s “order” is nothing more than an obvious lie someone is told to buy-in on if they find themselves getting squeamish, since it’s also rampantly corrupt and inefficient by design. The Sith made it that way, and the Sith and the Dark Side do not have anything defensible about them.

The caveat is that people have the free will to choose to do the right thing no matter how dark they or their faction already are - which adds further condemnation on choices that are thus willfully evil or tolerant of it, and highlights how even a little bit of goodness should be admitted but only if action is taken on it.

There’s plenty of anti-heroes in Star Wars who had to reveal their conscience in high stakes situation they’d rather avoid to prove they could make the right choices… but there’s actually not that many anti-villain of any merit. Everyone on the bad guy side falls on some sliding scale of a painfully foolish to outright malevolent mixture - thus, no character who is truly wise or truly compassionate can be found on the evil side.

8. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Palpatine's speech about good and evil being points of view IS evil. That is the basis of evil. Evil is the belief that evil is only a point of view and is not immoral.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  9. TheSithApologetic

Jun 8, 2022
    Oh I definitely understand. I’m very excited and I do hope that they show us something like that. There’s always ways to write compelling, darker characters and balancing them out. By what Lesley said about the exploring the bad guys perspective and them being the underdogs in this time period, it’s probable we’ll see this dynamic.

Mostly Handless and TaradosGon like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I haven’t read any of her comments. I am still excited for the show though. More because it’s not about legacy characters at least mostly. I am sure at some point they’ll throw in Jabba, Yoda or some older character. But the fact is a most of the characters will be new. Star Wars needs to take a long break of using legacy characters. Not take a break. Just focus on new ones. The Mandalorian did this, but I think they started to bring in characters that didn’t make sense. Just for the sake of them being in the show.

I am excited for fresh new main characters. And honestly I hope they don’t use any legacy characters.

11. TheSithApologetic

Jun 8, 2022
    Which Sith do you think will be in the show? If it’s 100 years before TPM, Darth Tenebrous would be around? Assuming they’re using the legends time period.

Edit: Speaking of Tenebrous, I may be the only one here but it would be amazing to see the Scimitar/Sith infiltrator return into live-action. He invented the ship in legends and it was passed on down. There’s something about the ship’s sound, the slickness, and that sexy interior! I’d love to see it be used by the protagonist!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  12. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I’m hoping for new Sith. Perhaps we might follow the journey of a Sith apprentice who will eventually become the master of Plagueis. Like others above though, I really want Star Wars to take a vacation from relying on legacy characters.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Given the time period, there aren't a lot of legacy characters around to use anyway - mainly Yoda and some other long lived Jedi, and I am sure the sith would be avoiding them as much as possible. Maybe Jabba? Chewie is alive, but very young I believe.... Beyond that, just some d-listers that probably wouldn't gather enough hype to bother with.

14. TheSithApologetic

Jun 8, 2022
    I remember Headland they couldn’t pay her enough to do legacy-era characters.

I can see a cameo or two: Maz, or Yoda, or even more so Jabba if the Sith are dealing with the criminal element. I think in part of what makes The Mandalorian successful is a clean slate.

There isn’t as much expectation to live up to or bound by certain standards like Luke, Boba Fett, or Obi-Wan. They have more creative freedom with these original characters.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s not even legacy characters. If it makes sense for them to be in the show fine. Use them. But they don’t need to be the main character of everything or needlessly crammed in. I would prefer a show or movie just not use them at all. I think this show has a chance of that. Which is exciting.

Darth PJ and Mostly Handless like this.
  16. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    ^^Yep. I love Yoda, but if he never shows up in this series at all I will be perfectly happy, gimme new characters please. :)

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Edit.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  20. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    [​IMG]

Rejoicing mode engaged. [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  21. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Loki was awesome so I approve!

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I imagine Loki might have been good, so I think this could be good!

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Loki was very good.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018