main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Adventures of Tintin: Tintin Wins Best Animated Feature at the Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Looks amazing IMO. Can't wait to see this on the big screen! :D

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I'm especially impressed by the score. John Williams recorded it in March. Sounds highly...adventurous. :)

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Am I expecting too much for it to sound similar to the music in the Nelvana series? Those shows are as much Tintin as the comics to me.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Pretty sure that's stylized water. Sand doesn't move like that.
    The trailer music is not by John Williams. It's a piece called "Sands of Time" composed by audiomachine.

5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    No matter what Williams comes up with, that'll always be the Tintin theme for me.

Nonetheless, I am excite.

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I hope he's smart and realises how related the Tintin theme is to the series.

Got it in my head now, the train scene from Prisoners of the Sun.

7. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Looking pretty good, can't wait for it to come out.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Particularly like the plane crash.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Second trailer

Actually, I would advise you NOT to watch this if you mind every joke and denouement being spoilt.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for the warning. Even though this is the sort of trailer that gets played over and over on TV I kinda want to go into this movie un-spoiled. Just like I didn't watch any trailers for Super 8, and I ended up really liking that one.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I want to see this movie, so I stopped watching midway through.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Super 8's trailer gave away almost nothing, you didn't even see the thing in the train and so I went into the movie not really knowing what was going to happen. I don't think this gives away very much (although it all seems much more dramatic than I recall the book ever being) except that the Unicorn has a secret everyone wants (and that's obvious) and that there will be lots of action and falling over (which anyone who ever watched the TV series or read the books will know anyway).

14. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Though I was unfamiliar with Tintin before the Spielberg movie, these trailers have me very excited to see it. :D

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Same here. :D I knew about Tintin, but I've never read any of the comics. Nevertheless, the fact that it's written by Steven Moffat, directed by Steven Spielberg, and stars Andy Serkis, is enough to make me excited about it. :)

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm a little thrown by everybody sounding like they come from the British Isles. The Thompson Twins should sound English, the others should sound Belgian/French, I think. Odd to see that trailer with British accents but with French subtitles! It's totaly topsy-turvy.8-}

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Ticket sold. I REALLY want to see this.

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The foreign box office potential is much higher than the U.S. potential. Tintin is practically unknown in the U.S. I think its box office will be closer to Puss in Boots than Shrek 3. I could see $125 - $150 million U.S., $200-250 million foreign for at best a $400 million total. It could end up being a Polar Express or Disney's Christmas Carol.

Polar Express: $306 million worldwide
    Christmas Carol: $325 million worldwide.

Tintin is secular holiday entertainment, plus the Spielberg/Jackson brand names. Maybe it can do a third better.

But the $56 million foreign opening doesn't suggest a mega hit.

20. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I found a Dutch interview of Hergé on youtube, it's quite interesting. The interview itself in French with Dutch subtitles.

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Last trailer really impressed me. Looks pretty good to me.

23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I've just watched the film - a downloaded camcorded version, but only because they don't show the film in the original sound here, only the dubbed version. Stupid Slovak film distributors. :mad: I am going to see it again tomorrow, for the 3D visuals, and will try my best to ignore the dub (I know it's going to be rubbish).

It's awesome! :D Great fun, fantastic adventure, and highly witty and amusing. :)

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    As I mentioned in another thread, this is the most fun Spielberg film for a long, long time. It's superb light entertainment, and a film I would have watched endlessly if it was around when I was younger.

Actually, it's basically Indiana Jones without the sex or the religion. Except... good Indiana Jones, not the muck that most recently foisted on us.

25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think this is spot on. Which is the way Tintin should be, seeing as Raiders was endlessly compared to the books on release in Europe. It's definately one of the most enjoyable films I have seen in a very long time.

Would love to see the sequel get green lit, even if the screenplay is being written by Anthony Horrowitz (Excellent children's author, but I find his screen work to be a bit pants).