main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Adventures of Tintin: Tintin Wins Best Animated Feature at the Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Saw it today. I quite enjoyed it, though I had to struggle not to unfavorably compare it to the original book. My very favorite sequence in all of Tintin is the Captain narrating the Sir Francis flashback; it's manic, insane, hilarious, thrilling . . . you want to know why I love Tintin, go check that scene out. The film couldn't match up with that and while I liked Haddock in the movie, he's simply not as energetic and manic as he has been in my imagination all these years.

But I can't find it in my heart to really dislike a movie with the heart for Tintin this one has. I think the fact that I already loved Tintin in general and The Secret of the Unicorn in particular (it's my favorite book in the series) actually made me enjoy it less than someone who doesn't already love Tintin would. That seems like a good thing, speaking generally. My ideal film version of Secret of the Unicorn would be different from this one at several points, but this movie's heart is in the right place and even the added stuff (like Snowy and the cows) feels very much of a piece with Tintin's world. The movie didn't live up to Herge's source material in my opinion, but how could it? And it's still Tintin on the big screen being mostly awesome; I have to love that.

I sincerely hope they get a second movie. I think I remember Jackson saying he wanted to do The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun. The Seven Crystal Balls is my second favorite book in the series and by far the scariest (actually gave me nightmares as a kid). Can't wait. Let's keep 'em coming. And, by God, I hope everyone who sees the movie goes and buys a couple of the books. I do hope that.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

It will be interesting to see if this spurs Tin Tin book sales in the U.S.

It's bound to have some effect.

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Did you guys caught the references to the other comic books? Such as the broken ear statue, the crate with the golden claw symbol on it and during the chase scene the bad guys were in the same Jeep as the Thompson twins in Black Gold.

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm pretty sure Saccharine's cane-sword popped up in an earlier Tintin book.

Also, Omar Ben Salaad's palace had a fountain that was a crab with Golden Claws as well.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    King Ottokar's Sceptre was in there too, which was a thrill as that's my favorite of the non-Haddock stories.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Mine too. I'd love to see them do that at some stage, however unlikely it is.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, actually, after the initial sort of cool buzz I got from the reference, I then had a moment of disappointment where I was like, "Ah, well, guess they're not going to do that one then." Maybe as a prequel. In our dreams. :p

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    What I'd love is if they were able to one day do anthology films in this format. Three stand-alone Tintin adventures adapted by different filmmakers, and then presented as a feature with some sort of bridging story. Kinda like what they did with A Series of Unfortunate Events except without utterly emasculating the original works.

9. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Spielberg expresses his gratitude to Jackson, Zemeckis and Cameron for
    educating him about motion capture.

Jackson & Spielberg at Comic Con

I think that's cool that James Cameron invited Spielberg to the Avatar stages to watch
    him work with performance capture techology, sharing information. I've often wondered
    if they are on speaking terms and consider themselves colleagues. Now I know.

There's a major chase sequence in Tin Tin all done in one continuous shot that's one of
    the most amazing things I've ever seen in a movie.

10. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Tintin! Not Tin Tin!

11. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Sorry! I'll never make that mistake again.

Have you seen the movie Zaz?

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Not open where I live.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

The Adventures of Tintin wins this year's Golden Globe for best animated feature of

Spielberg's acceptance speech:

Spielberg expresses his thanks

I liked what he said about Andy Serkis.

14. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Box office mojo reports it's up to 347 million world-wide gross.

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Damn The Hobbit movies to hell, I want to see Jackson's Tintin film now.

16. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I suspect Jackson will be quite busy for some time with the Hobbit before he
    can get around to the Tintin sequel. The Hobbit is a huge project.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Well, according to Senor Spielberg, the plan is for Jackson to do the mocap shooting once principal photography on The Hobbit has concluded, which can't be that far away since they're fairly deep into at the moment. Then Jackson will do post on The Hobbit simultaneously with Tintin 2, kinda like how Spielberg managed to do War Horse while the first film was in post.

That's the plan anyway, but with the robust gross I hope Dreamworks and Paramount greenlight it.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm happy with it winning at the Globes. I can't imagine the sequel won't get greenlit at this point.