main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Advisory Council Strikes Back (Weekly update for the month of April)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tellesto, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Hello once again friends, long time no see. Of course, some of you are probably wondering why there hasn?t been an Advisory Council update in a little while? that is indeed a valid question that can be given a valid answer: for the longest time nothing interesting was happening.
    The Advisory Council was dead in the sense that no real meaty issues were being brought to our attention, in fact we didn?t develop a good long discussion thread in our forum for at least a week. I simply haven?t felt it necessary to create a series of weekly updates based on minor transgressions.

So I waited a few weeks and eventually, with a little patience, the Advisory Council was bustling again with a slew of new thoughts and feelings directed towards the administration, and vice versa.
    These are the fruits of our discussions, which took place over a 3-week period. We accomplished a lot of things in that time and worked out some new policies for the Jedi Council?s betterment, and now it?s time for you members to once again go behind the scenes and take witness to these happenings.

Welcome back to the Advisory Council!

The month of April (and some of May):

• April 11th:

No activity? This grand return thread sure is getting off to a good start?

April 12th:

Vertical started a discussion in the Advisory Council on the creation of a Community Devised sock that was used solely for the purpose of tormenting a member of the Jedi Council. Through a series of inflammatory remarks and posts it came to our attention that action had to be taken on the matter.

?This was a VERY bad idea for just such a reason as this.? ?Vertical

April 13th:

We continued our discussion on the vehement sock and possible methods to deal with its punishment,

?This sounds like a very touchy situation, so I?m not quite sure what the absolute best approach would be.? ?Tellesto

April 14th:

Our discussion on the inflammatory sock was taken to a different level as epic brought up a nice, neat little point about punishing those involved with it. ?If we ban everyone on the list, that's just giving the guilty party more tools to work with. If he knows we'll ban innocent members under any suspicion, he'll just keep this kind of thing up even more.? ?epic

April 15th:

Yet again we continued to discuss the inappropriate sock and its inappropriate use, yet more methods of discipline are being molded and it?s clear that socks used for the purpose of flaming or trolling are starting to become a real issue.

?Can't you just warn those involved and maybe put something in Comms outlining that this is inappropriate use of a user name. You could also outline the consequences if this happens again.

It's public and no user has an excuse they didn't know.?
      ?Darth_Asabrush

Meanwhile, Darth Lud proposed a new idea for a Star Wars related forum, technical commentary.

?topics like these popp up in literature every so often and I was wondering if they deserved a home outside of the miscellaneous forum. are the technical comentaries popular.? ?Lud

In agreement Kadue pointed out that, ?I see no problem with one. I don't think that it will have the same traffic as some other EU forums, but there are a lot of people that want to argue over these things.? ?Kadue

However, Dev raised the thought that perhaps the forum of this caliber would generate a bigger problem in moderation and topic confusion rather then working towards resolving it:

?It could work, but the definition remains a bit too vague. How do we decide what is and isn't technical? A few things, like debates over lightsaber design and Star Destroyer length, may be obvious topics, but others are less clear. What about canon debates, or the attempts to find exact dates for prequel-era events? Most people aren't very good at deciding if their own topics qualify

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    ummm

good job and all

¤Night

3. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Wow! I'm quoted!!! :D

4. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    You forgot

April 28th to May 6th:

No one posted at all to the AC. No one even visited it. It was like a ghost town without the tumbleweeds and the Brady Bunch getting locked in the town prison by a couple of local prospectors.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Good job. Interesting to note that Farraday mentioned the Fine Arts forum. Just to let you know, I'd still like to see that. :D :p

6. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Same here - and it's certainly more reasonable than a forum just for the defense forces that I think I saw someone elsewhere suggest. ;)

Mel

7. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks for the much anticipated update.

//claps hands

Good job.

Erik

8. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Nice work guys. It's nice to know that you don't just sit around sipping Martinis in your private forum...

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Good job.

But you didn't mention the numerous threads containg petitions to perm ban me.

10. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    That?s still a running joke?

11. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    no, it's Obi-Zahn's way of self-flaming. Pay no mind. ;)

...and a mango.

12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    That?s still a running joke?

You forget to put bad before it.

13. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    good to see that the idea of a term limit has found favour...in my mind that was the main problem with the original model......although i also think a 1/3 permanent-2/3 rotating ratio is better than a 5 permanent/3 rotating ratio....just for the fresh blood element....you already have the "institutional" memory with the moderators and such, why double up with regular members?

14. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    That was a horrible update. 8-} i think your hiding information.

edit:got a little face plain happy

kidding! had to be original [face_plain] funny as usual, the post has informed me of things i did not know and i thank you for that.

15. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    What a pointless establishment the AC is.

16. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    There should be a "Debo's Star Wars Memories Spectacular!" Super Duper AdvisoryAdminLord Council that can fulfill two vital uses at the JC.

1. To watch the watchers of the watchmen.

2. To make Humourous and pointless comments on the actions of the Watchers of the Watchers of the Watchmen.

3. See 1. and 2. with extra 80's quotes.

I see a great future for my idea....

Call me WANNABEMOD UKS.

:D

WANNABEMOD UKS.

EDIT: This post is supposed to be taken in a dry and witty vein, NOT a Bitter and angry one...!

17. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    there there, you still got my vote, stranger

18. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    He got your vote? He lost me at "There".

Actually, thats usually enough to secure my vote at an election, so why not here?

Barnes, do you have any suggestions? If you dont like the way it works, give us some ideas to help us help everyone.

19. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    I'm surprised you got that far, Dagsy.

20. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, you know I have the attention span of a....

Ohhh, cookies

21. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, I also agree with 2/3 rotating. I mean, the point of the AC is to give the JC some people they can look to as representitives. But if the AC becomes basically an extension of the mods (not that I don't think the mods are very important), the AC loses it's appeal to the JCers. They just become more "power hungry politicians" ;)

22. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    Ban Connemara for calling me a "power hungry politician"!

[face_mischief]

DOH!

Seriously, I think that the term limits are a fantastic idea, it'll keep the blood moving. And Barns, if you have a suggestion other then, "I don't like it" then please, by all means, say it.

23. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Hey, I didn't name any names! :p

24. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    when in doubt smile with a saucy wink then move along

25. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Considering that we've been waiting for ages for this, it's a pretty good update there! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.