main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Advisory Council Update: Action, Adventure, Horror! (22-28)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tellesto, Mar 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Welcome everyone to the 3rd Advisory Council update, it?s good to see you all here. Let?s get down to business!

22-28

Friday March 22, 2002:

Today Jay brought up a topic on the banning of certain users and their continued ban. The question presented was, ?Should we allow said users to be unbanned despite there past conduct? Or should we keep them on a permanent ban even though said users have claimed to reform??
    Some questions were brought up about 3-month bans on users that turned into perm bans because of their conduct and lack of respect for the Jedi Council populace.

Commander Antilles posted a thread informing us of PreacherBoy?s demotion and the reasons for such, but also assured us that he would continue to write and manage the gaming section of TheForce.net for as long as possible. Some discussion emerged on the legitimacy of keeping PreacherBoy as a VIP and not a moderator, but we all pretty much agreed that the issue should rest for the time being.

We also learned the choice of the new Games moderator and discussed his addition to the team, briefly though.

Saturday March 23, 2002:

Kadue made his grand return in a thread tentatively named, ?I'm preparing to head to the Lit forum with a loaded edit button, and the ban button at the ready.?
    All joking aside, Kadue was glad to work with the Advisory Council and get down to business discussing the new admission of Spoilers and their usage in the Literature forum. However, don?t be deceived, this isn?t quite a discussion on Episode II spoilers in relation with Literature, this was a thread that dealt with the formation of book spoilers and their allowance among the EU forums.
    The Advisory Council members very well received Kadue?s plan, especially the Literature dwelling ones (such as Dev) but we did have one concern in his rule of topic titles.
    Here?s the original rule:

?Anyway, you have this juicy spoiler, so you've clicked on the "Post New Topic" link. You've typed out the info, given the link to where you got it from (yes, this is considered good etiquite), and now you're thinking of a title to get everyone reading. Naturally something like "Chewie dies!!! NOOOO!!!!" would generally get everyone reading. Well, think of something else. No spoilers should appear in the title of a thread, even something like "Guess who dies in Vector Prime" is not acceptable. Make the title something non-commital, and add a tag telling that there are spoilers in the thread after it, eg. "New info about the NJO (Vector Prime spoilers)".

But please be careful, don't put in character names unless they are one of the major characters. As with the above example, "Chewie info from Vector Prime (Spoilers)" would be fine, but "Vergere's major role in SBS (spoilers)" isn't, as you've given away that she returns and has a big impact on the storyline.?

The second paragraph was too complicated and not very clear towards the rules in our opinions, so he shortened it to this:

?Here are the rules. Any title to a thread must not contain any spoiler information whatsoever, and if the thread does contain spoilers, the tag (_____ Spoilers) MUST be in the title. You can use known facts about what will happen in a book like major characters, known planets that will be involved, hanging plot threads from previous books as long as they do not reveal major unknown plot points. You don't introduce spoilers to a thread that does not contain a spoiler warning.?

Sunday March 24, 2002:

Nothing interesting happened at all on this day, in fact I think no one was posting in the Advisory Council at that time. Skip ahead to the 25th, it?s got some good stuff to read?.
    However, Lord Bane did introduce a thread on icons and new additions to the Jedi Council. Basically, it?s just a thread where the Advisory Council members can give their opinions on current icons and future icons to be uploaded, as well as a few suggestions.

Monday March 25, 2002:

We continued a discussion started o

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Today Jay brought up a topic on the banning of certain users and their continued ban. The question presented was, ?Should we allow said users to be unbanned despite there past conduct? Or should we keep them on a permanent ban even though said users have claimed to reform??
    Some questions were brought up about 3-month bans on users that turned into perm bans because of their conduct and lack of respect for the Jedi Council populace.

Why don't you just say Obi-Zahn Kenobi... After all, being honest helps you... ;)

EDIT: 4000th post!

3. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    All right, yes, it was you.

Wow...I feel a sudden weight that has been lifted off my back!

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Good! Now breathe, breathe liek you never have before. You can feel enlightenment, peace coming over you. Breathe!

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Telly, the colors you used to format that post are blinding me. ;)

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    She's right you know...

7. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    Tell me what would work better for next time, that way you won't need corrective eyewear!

8. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Very nicely done, Telly.

Glad to hear that you guys are on top of things and it sounds to me that you guys really care about the betterment of the JC as a whole.

9. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Good work, guys! :)

10. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
  11. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Good update.

12. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I like the color scheme. Nice to see you guys are being productive. :D

13. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Good job there, Tell, but the yellow really is a bit too light, and red gets quite blinding to see in huge paragraphs...

But ignoring all that, great writeup! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I think he just did that in keeping with the current trend here at the JC to make colors blinding and hurtful to your eyes. ;)

15. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    you poor misguided fools! you are getting an edited, revisionist picture of what happens in that den of inequity that the powers that be insist on calling "The Advisory Council"

thanks to the miracles of telepathy i can fill you all in on what really happened in this last week:

Friday March 22, 2002:

Today Jay brought up a topic on the banning of certain users and their continued ban. However it soon became sidetracked by a choice selection of ribald limericks collected by Farraday on his recent trip to Ireland
    Commander Antilles posted a thread informing
    users about the risque nature of the aforementioned limericks, however this backfired, as it seemed to encourage earstwhile lurkers to post their own favourites.

Saturday March 23, 2002:

Kadue made his grand return in a thread tentatively named, ?I'm preparing to head to the Lit forum with a loaded edit button, and the ban button at the ready.?
    All joking aside, Kadue was glad to work with the Advisory Council as he had spent the long summer months writing a treatise upon the health benifits of rule based mirror gazing and needed an audience. However the second paragraph was too complicated and not very clear towards the rules in our opinions, so he shortened it to this:

?Here are the rules. Look deeply into the centre of the reflective glass to find your centre. If you cannot find a mirror, use some silver paper or some glossy enamel paint?

Sunday March 24, 2002:

Nothing interesting happened at all on this day, in fact I think no one was posting in the Advisory Council at that time, I believe they were all trying to find their centre. So I decided to compose a lyrical salute to Rowing boats, the Camels of the Sea.

Row!
    Row!
    Waves Awash Your Mighty Bow!

Starboard!
    Port!

Oh Ye Camel's of the Sea!

Monday March 25, 2002:

We continued a discussion started on the 22nd about Jay and other members . No conclusion was drawn from the discussion as when you look at their latest posts, a sense of impeding doom strangly did not appear

Continued discussion on custom icons and new choices.

Tuesday March 26th, 2002:

Continued discussion on custom icons and new choices.
    Funny thing about that, this icon here: is actually Old Obi-Wan from Toyfare, CENSORED BY AUTHOR FOR ADULT CONTENT

The big thread in the forum on this day was farraday?s idea of posting my Lyrical salute to Row Boats in the Announcement forum.

No Comment

-Spiderdevil

I got no problem with it. Luckily, all my threads would be spared from the cap as they usually stay under the 27 reply limit. It's because of my highbrow humor that no one gets. ?B?omarr

[EDITOR'S NOTE: We should cherish such intellectuals]

Sounds reasonable enough to me, but we need to hear more verses. ?Dev

Quite possibly the greatest idea in the creation and life span of the Jedi Council!
    Well yes, there are going to be some people who are going to be angry and have a hard time coping with the rhythmic splendour of this baudy ditty
    [EDITORS' NOTE: Baudy??]

Someone once told me ?The greatest adventures of the Jedi Council are born in a day, lived in a day and die in a day. But Song Lives for Ever!.?
    [EDITOR'S NOTE: Hear Hear!]

I?m all for it. ?Tellesto

[EDITOR'S NOTE: how could you not be?]

Go for it.

Personally, I think we could stand to cut back on talking altogether, the world needs more Song ?Darth_Dagsy

While I agree in principle that this is a good idea there is one thing that I'd like to say.

Row Boats could not possible be the camel's of the sea, given that boats are inanimate, and camels are living, breathing people

?Darth_Asabrush

I'm a romantic.
    I absolutely hear all of the great reasons to do it
    ?Aunt Jar Jar Mimah
    [ EDITOR'S NOTE: possibly the most honest, and open of the comments so far]

Some of like to see the history. Others like to feel the music. Its so old its cool, and it would be a shame to tear it down to build a parking lot. ?Jay

[EDITOR'S NOTE: I am not entirely sure what he mea

16. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I'd like to apologize for failing to yell at Tellesto about the colors. Complaining about minor formatting and spelling errors is usually my job, but at the time my monitor was incapable of displaying green for some reason. As a result, everything looked sort of blinding.

17. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Humble, you forgot the part where we discussed ways of spreading propoganda about your hair loss, and also discussion of my unsightly rash.

But other than that, your ESP is pretty good!

18. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    I cant claim to know what mods think of all users, but Obi-Zahn Kenobi was banned for 6 months, and seems to be doing fine.

Its only natural for long-banned users to be watched more closely when they return, however if they do nothing wrong, I would imagine that there wont be a problem.

19. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    "They will always be the target of baiting unless they conform."

This is what it comes down to. Become a good poster, and you should be fine.

Continue on your disruptive way, and you will be in trouble.

Why is that bad?

EDIT: Lets add TFU to that list. Last I saw, he has been doing well.

20. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, I don't think anyone should be banned without any chance of redemption. If a user does something really bad, they can be banned for a huge period of time, maybe, but if they are determined enough, and seem sincere enough in their like of the JC, and desire to reform, after a time, I can't think of anyone that shoudln't be unbanned.

A lot of epople do dumb things, for one reason or another, and the mods think "dang, he ain't never coming back". But lots of times the person changes, or gets out of whatever strange mood gripped him and caused to him to act like an ass, and they become totally normal people again, and it's unfair to continue to ban them.

Also- Humble Extra, thank you for the comic relief there, that really cracked me up!

21. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Hey, Pizza, what about SotS? He was perm banned and now he's one of the most well respected mods.

When you get a second chance, they assume you will change.

22. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    I believe that Padme Bra and farraday were also tripped up in the past, yet were given a second chance.

It's when a user doesn't show a desire to improve and treat this board with respect that he's kept from joining.

And yes, on a few occations, some posters are simply lame, so they're banned. :D

[EDITOR'S NOTE: I'm kidding on that last point]

23. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    Great job! I will be watching your career with great intrest :D

yodaboy
    No longer using the signature feature!

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And of course, it depends on how the banned member acts when he does come back. If he comes back quietly and doesn't cause a ruckus and has a good posting record, then things can be fine. If he makes obvious socks and reverts to his old posting habits within one or two posts, they're easy to spot.

25. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    "As much as I hate the little turd, Obi-Zahn will never have a fair chance here. Granted, he's a child and doesnt understand reality and the way people think, but if he did, he still woulndt be given a true second chance."

I have been given a second chance, thanks to some HIGH connections I have...

;)
    //thinks of Jeebus...

PizzaThaHutt maybe? Or AmazingB... Who knows?

It's Pizza.

If you are Pizza, then you're just sour... I know that you are a sock because a user registered early this morning wouldn't know much about me...

Also, you may not think I understand reality, but do you? Then do not be to eager to give out judgement on users.

Also, your posts are so good I will give rate them in smileys. 5 out of 5!

[face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

See, we are baited...

EDIT: DDH, I have caused quite a ruckus...

;)

//thinks

Oh, there was the incident with the Official board. I caused much of that.

There was something utterly stupid that I did which I will not mention.

There was the time I flamed myself with a sock.

And there was the time I played that pretending to be a mod joke.

Ah, the good old days... [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.