main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The AIificication and future of work

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bacon164, Feb 10, 2023.

1. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    In seriousness here the ideal is “Thanks to automation you have to work significantly less,” but since we live in a distopia the reality is “Thanks to automation you need to do something else or starve to death.”

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    blackmyron, Rew, solojones and 4 others like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, the entire mentality around “earn a living”—the cruel and dystopian notion that you do not deserve to exist unless you contribute with your labor, and lots of it*—needs to be replaced along with the jobs replaced by automation.

*—this notion of course does not apply to those who become billionaires with an idea and hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars of Mommy and Daddy’s money

blackmyron, Rew, FatBurt and 2 others like this.
  3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Blessed be the naive, who think the rich who already own the world will ever let them partake of the fruits of a world where human labor isn't needed. They won't be needed either.

4. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I think it's easy to lose sight of the fact that this does not apply to the majority of planet Earth. Travel through Sub-Saharan Africa and check out all the 'automation'.

Most of that rural hinterland has next to no quality infrastructure: mostly dirt roads, with pot holes big enough to tip a truck onto its roof; water wells every ten kilometres if you need a drink; no sewerage; no rubbish collection; no mail delivery; one hospital for every million people, and a handful of small clinics, all of which have chronic shortages of supplies; homes made of wattle, daub and thatched roofs, or made entirely from sheet metal; mains electricity (assuming there is any) on for just four hours a day... Well you get the idea. When it rains, everything grinds to a halt.

Everything there is labour intensive. It has to be.

The first time I went to Africa, it took my breath away. That's how the majority of the world lives. So anything about this Brave New World I keep hearing about is not, for better or worse, how most of the human race will experience the decades to come.

Oh, and Africa is wonderful.

Dannik Jerriko, Sarge and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It is. It is also going to endure another brutal experience of colonization before long - its resources will still be worth something, but its population, like the populations of most of the rest of the world, won't be.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I believe the Chinese already have a significant presence on the African continent...

blackmyron and solojones like this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Once climate change and secondary effects destroy the dreams of both the rich and poor, I hope to volunteer for an AI to send my mind back in time in a plan to save humanity.

8. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Out of curiosity, how far back would you wish to go?

My answer is at least 12,000BC.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This is good. During covid my current lifestyle did not change much. I still surfed the web, read, watched various shows and films, got some exercise, etc. Even if down the road I can see a world of VR like Ready Player One, is that the end? Or perhaps more like the VR in Inception where you can train for anything and come out with new skills. So the question become to what end. Will people still run restaurants? Will they still have book stores? hair cutters, If I go on a vacation to another country I guess you'll just socialize rather than interact with people in stores.

I don't know if they mentioned it on the show but in the book series of The Expanse they had what was called Basic. You had some amount of shelter, food, etc. But if you wanted you could get training. But what they did was have people work for a few years to show they were serious, then they went for real training, and then off to space.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Don't they already have A.I. writing songs and novels?

11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The 99.9% of people who aren’t needed for their labour aren’t just going to sit around and die. How are those who own the AI going to protect it from 99.9% of the population?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Of course they aren't.

Did you pay attention to global food chains and what just happened where a regional war caused a minor disruption?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Welcome to Mega-City One, citizen.

Dannik Jerriko and SHAD0W-JEDI like this.
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m so tired of chatbots being equated with AI by everyone including CEOs throwing people’s livelihoods away because they think you can just copy-paste **** into content. It’s exhausting.

No it’s probably some other guy who has registered two other accounts before with the exact same avatar constantly going on about the Oxfordian “theory.” Don’t be ridiculous.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But the term "AI" excites shareholders!

16. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    Oxfordianism is a “theory” the same way the sky being blue is a “theory.” We all live in the infinite circumference of Edward De Vere’s mind and the infinite shadow cast by its mere existence; that De Vere once drew breath on it is the most significant thing about planet Earth. The Stratfordian heresy is a crime against against the chief glory of our species in the same way the widespread denial of the synchronization of The Dark Side of the Moon with 1939’s The Wizard of Oz denies us the appreciation of supreme audiovisual cognitive artistic achievement of the century.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Like I said.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't buy the Edward de Vere theory. I think there's no evidence any such person existed and any second hand accounts suggesting there was someone named Edward de Vere is really a combination of swamp gas and an automaton controlled by a team of badgers. There's just no such person as Edward de Vere.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When I was in the Air Force, I was a C-130 flight engineer. We had 4 people in the flight deck, pilot, copilot, navigator, and flight engineer. But the new C-130s being built now just have the pilot and copilot. GPS does the navigating and computers are supposed to monitor the systems that I ran. That means the new planes are flying around with only half as many brains and eyeballs in the cockpit. When a problem comes up, they'll only have half as much brainpower (or less) to figure it out, and those 2 brains are both trained as pilots and looking at the problem the way pilots do. They have no perspective from brains trained as navs or FEs. That's a big limitation on their ability to deal with issues.

I'm in a FB group for C-130 aircrew and every time there's a problem or accident, somebody comments, "That wouldn't happen if they had an FE on board." OK, I admit, I'm usually that commenter, but still, my point stands!

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not all AI is plagiarism.

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    ChatGPT absolutely is. And that's what this article is about.

Darth Guy likes this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That’s not what the article is about…

Also, for example, I could alsk ChatGPT to make a rhyming poem about solojones and Star Wars. And it could write a poem that was never made before that fulfills that ask - not plagiarized.

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    ...by scraping and using works of existing poets and writers without their permission or paying them