main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The All-New, All-Different JCC Astronomy Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Jul 16, 2010.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Interesting to note about this pic, one side is brighter than the other because it is spinning.

Might have to buy some binoculars

Keep an eye on the sky. There’s quite a show in store as Jupiter and Earth will reach their closest point later this month.

Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system, will appear bright to the naked eye in the night sky, even in cities. With nothing more than a pair of binoculars, you’ll be able to see several of its moons.

Sarge, dolphin and Iron_lord like this.
  2. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
  3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I use this website when I look at Jupiter though my binoculars or telescope.
    https://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/jupiter_moons/jupiter.html

Has anyone here seen the starlink satellites? I want to see them but it keeps being cloudy when they go over.

Could our night sky really look like this one day???

Tython Awakening and dolphin like this.
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  5. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    That is certainly a valid concern in the stargazing/astronomy community

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Good luck India

Sarge and VadersLaMent like this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Jupiter got hit

Happily the Great red Spot is visible for a sense of scale. It is a bit over 10,000 miles wide, the Earth is 7,926 miles wide.

9. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Jupiter impacts by 1+ km comets takes place every 500-1000 yr, and an Earth impact every 2–4 Myr. Hopefully Juno can give us a front seat view.

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Looking for lurkers

Small smart probes. I'll keep an eye out for a recording of the lecture.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah bit of a wide margin, .01% to 50%. But still water vapor. This world is 7.6 Earth masses.

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Iron_lord, Tython Awakening and Sarge like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Calculating the time it will take existing spacecraft to get to other stars

The researchers found that the four spacecraft will come somewhat close to approximately 60 stars over the course of the next 1 million years—and will come within two parsecs of approximately 10 of them. They also found that Pioneer 10 will likely be the first to pass by a star system—one called HIP 117795. It sits in the constellation Cassiopeia. Their calculations show that the spacecraft will pass within 0.231 parsecs of the star in approximately 90,000 years. They also found that all four of the spacecraft will travel for a very long time before they collide with or are captured by a star system—on the order of 1020 years.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    30th Anniversary a new look at the pale blue dot

“Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it, everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every ‘superstar,’ every ‘supreme leader,’ every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.”

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I've often heard that it would take 9 months to reach Mars (of course depending on if we timed it right) using current technology.

But I've also heard that for years, maybe decades, so my questions are
    1. Is that still true?
    2. Is there a chart somewhere showing how long it would take us to get to each of the planets in the solar system, with current technology? And perhaps to Alpha Centauri too?

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This might help though the column marked Shuttle is wrong since the Shuttle could only reach 17,000 mph(it says as much) and you need 25,000 just to escape Earth. I assume the 28,000 mph figure means something like a manned Apollo style rocket.

However, the SpaceX plan for mars trips involves several launches to orbit for refueling a rocket and that alone will cut Mars trip times in half without going nuclear.

The fastest thing in mind is a laser pushed sail which could push a probe to Mars in 3 days, or a manned shuttle-sized vehicle in 30 days. I assume that includes speed up and slow down.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    With current technology we could begin building tomorrow? It'll be a long time before we have the infrastructure for a laser-pushed sail system. And not sure if we could make long journeys, or escape Earth, in a small shuttle-sized vehicle?

I'm just looking for lengths of journey using existing technology to each planet. The table has the shuttle options, but are those other options actually feasible?

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Galileo was launched from Atlantis. Ion propulsion has been used on a number of probes, and there was a hell of a cool solar sail, but of course those are probes and such.

As far as a manned mission to Mars the only thing being built is Musk's Starship, 3 month transit as I said. Perhaps Bigelow counts, as one module is attached to the ISS and he has a couple in orbit, and he had a deal with Boeing to launch another.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The interesting thing about this is illustrating that the ISS is moving very quickly which perhaps many do not realize given that we usually see it as if it is sitting there suspended.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.