main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The All-New Senate All-New Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Senate merged, diverged, merged, diverged, and merged again with the rest of the JCC (this time without a different set of rules). If you want to see the Senate threads, just click the Senate tag, there has been a lot under discussion but it moves fast now that it's all remerged again.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What happened to Super Watto?

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Alive and well in Amsterdam. Just spent a rainy but otherwise lovely evening with him.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think it needs its own thread, but I found out yesterday that I got the job I really wanted as an AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps Field Team Leader in the Pacific Region, which is based right near Sacramento.

So I'm moving to California on Wednesday!

I'll be travelling with and leading my team to various month-long projects among the states of California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. The projects could be anything from disaster response, to house construction, to maintaining national parks, to improving schools in poor communities, to infrastructure improvement, and more. They'll provide housing, pay for travel expenses, and I'll get paid and another $5k education award.
    https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listin...1&applicationSubmissionID=1571039&nsaID=nsaId

But I'm looking forward to the experience even more, of seeing the country and getting to build my leadership and other skills, and make a real positive difference like I made in City Year Rhode Island and my volunteer experience in India.

ShaneP, Vezner, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Congratulations!

I hope your business cards mention you as an "ACNCCCFTLPR" because that's an awesome acronym.

Juliet316 and Ghost like this.
  6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    they do actually use the acronym NCCC to refer to that program (if i remember my americorps orientation correctly) which is pretty crazy in and of itself

also i believe the teams are called "spikes" which is awesome. is that (still) true, ghost?

7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Nice dude! I lived in the Sacramento area for three years and have a ton of friends over there, so let me know if you need anything. Also, I currently live in Reno, just two hours over the hill from there. I know that Americorps keeps you pretty busy, if you get some time off and needs something to do, let me know!

Ghost likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If it's a project away from the main base for more than a week, it's called a spike. But that's a type of project. There are actual team names though, like "Blue Five" or "Maple Seven" or "Owl Ten."

And these are the regions:
    [​IMG]

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Missouri and Arkansas in the Southwest? That's a new one. They should rename it South Central.

I can see Sacramento and Denver being Regional Campuses, and even Perry Point given its proximity to DC, but Vinton, Iowa? Also Vicksburg hasn't been relevant since the Civil War.

Ghost likes this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Those capitals couldn't be more random

Ghost likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    San Francisco would have a made for a finer California campus location.

Ghost Many, many congrats/all the best in moving forward with this. :D It's got to be -obviously- a wonderful thrill to do work, etc, in a field that one has great passion for.

Ghost likes this.
  12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i think its just what university expressed an interest in hosting the programs

also i knew someone who did NCCC and was based in denver during post-katrina, and she got pulled into hurricane clean-up efforts, so i dont think the regions are too hard and fast

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My sister is in her second year of college in San Francisco (studying photography), so I'll probably be visiting a few times!

EDIT: Yeah, if there's another Katrina/Sandy or similar major disaster, we could be sent there, no matter where it is. Though it's more the specialty of the NCCC FEMA Corps.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Congrats on the job, Ghost!

Ghost likes this.
  15. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Getting ready for my trip to Washington DC tomorrow. Originally scheduled to go to Chicago but plans changed. Maybe next year. Looking forward to visiting the White House and stuff.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Did you get a tour? DC was very nice, much hotter than I imagined though when I was there (similar time as this 2 years ago).

17. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Yeah got a couple planned. It's a work thing so it's a group your. I'm branching out on my own on Saturday for a two hour Segway tour so that will be something different.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm in DC every June. Love the city. I'm sure you'll be in Chicago however for the grand opening of Lucas's Star Wars museum.

19. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I'll let my head office know that is happening and I'm positive that will influence the choice of venue for my next work conference. Loving Washington but holy hell it's hot. Not expecting mid 30s in September. Visited the Vietnam Veterans Memorial this morning which has been a long time coming. The cops at the White House were very friendly. Not as many crazies as New York buti only got in last night and it's still early.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ghost likes this.
  21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I didn't even realize Morgan Fairchild was married to Jon Lovitz.

23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It ain't my style to come back after something's failed and say "told you so!". But **** my style.
    Told you this wouldn't work!

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    What? What happened? What's wrong with Morgan Fairchild's marriage!?

SuperWatto likes this.
  25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Does not produce fair children?