main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The AMERICAN GRAFFITI thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by waheennay, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I thought I should post a thread about this wonderful movie. My favorite scene is where Terry the Toad(Charles Martin Smith) tries to buy beer even though he's underage!

2. Stargasior

Stargasior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2001
    Yeah. I havn't seen that movie in awhile

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I have yet to see American Graffiti. I almost got the DVD once, though.

4. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    You should see it, it's a good film. Interesting to see what Lucas was doing before SW. It also casts some light on the Biggs scenes, and why they were cut.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree, it's a good movie. You gotta see it!

6. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    Good Movie, heck. It's a GREAT MOVIE!!!!

7. Morgan-Fett

Morgan-Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2000
    Actually he wants to buy a bottle of "Old Harpers"

8. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    "You got an ID?"

"I lost it."

"Lost it?"

"Uh, yeah. In a flood."

Classic movie. Saw it for the first time in '95. I went out and rented both it and THX-1138 ( which is also very good, if strange. )

9. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    That has to be one of GL's best movies pre-SW

10. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Think the movie sums up quite nicely the teen life of crusing for chicks, while being nostalgic without being sappy. It is a great film. Suzanne Somers was insanely hot back then! Beware of the goat killer!!!!

11. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    A top notch cast: Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfus, Charles Martin Smith, Cindy Williams, Paul LeMat, and of course Harrison Ford as Bob Falfa.

12. darth_fett

darth_fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 1999
    I love that movie, got in on VHS but I need to upgrade to DVD

one of my favorite scenes has to be Richard Dreyfuss and his prank on the cop car ;)

13. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    Classic movie. One of the reasons that I got into drag racing was Harrison Ford's car, and Paul Lemat's car. Recommend seeing this movie if you haven't seen it yet.

14. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    In many ways, it's the best movie Lucas has directed. Everyone who says that he can't connect with human emotions need only to see the scene between Richard Dreyfuss and Wolfman Jack (I remember watching this scene somewhere around the time I was applying for out of state colleges and the dialogue rings about as true as anythign in cinema) and the one where Paul LeMat talks about the mortality of drag racing while walking in an auto wrecking yard with heaps of smashed cars. Visual poetry. And if you're a STAR WARS junkie, compare how honest and melancholy the ending of this movie is with how stiff and forced the scene in MENACE is where Anakin leaves home.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Unlocked and upped (to prevent autolocker kickin in again overnight) by request.

16. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    They even did the "pint of Ole Harper" gag on the Simpsons when Homer wants to buy some illeagal fireworks :D

17. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    Plus, they play the Beach Boys' "All Summer Long" over the closing credits, just like in the movie!

18. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Anyone spot the scene that ILM fixed per Lucas' request for the new dubs?

19. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

No, but I'd sure love to know what it is.

I wonder if ILM could fix some shots in THX 1138? lol

20. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well unofficially I heard ILM worked on THX-1138, presumably for a DVD release, and it might have been the last project John berton supervised. We'll see how that turns out.

21. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    It's the very first shot actually. Originally when the movie opens on Mel's Drive-in during the opening credits, the sky is overcast and white. In the new version, it's an orange and blue sunset sky and the diner is darker.

22. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

"American Graffiti" is a classic film - reading this thread makes me want to see it on DVD, since I've only seen it on VHS so far.

My favorite scenes include:

* When Terry the Toad is trying to pick up the blonde off of the street by feeding her various lines, and eventually one of them works.

* When the Ron Howard character insults his teacher at the dance, and when the teacher threatens to suspend him, he reminds him that he's already graduated - ha ha

* When the Richard Dreyfuss character is flying away at the end, and sees the blonde's car driving near the runway.

* The music - classic! Even though I was born long after the early 60's, this music still rocks, and really fit the scenes in the film.

23. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    Hey, where else can you hear Harrison Ford sing "Some Enchanted Evening"

24. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I love American Graffiti, great 'flick!

25. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    American Graffiti is a great movie and I happen to own a copy of it on video.
    Everyone should own a copy of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.