main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Amphitheatre Social Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by REVANLORD, May 28, 2006.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    It's the blinking and the knitted brow. The women can't get the latter due to botox injections...

2. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Anybody here in the path of Hurricane Irene?

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well it's raining here south of Boston, but that's probably all we'll get. Plus some heavy winds.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yeah, we've had tornadoes in the area. Oddly, we have not yet lost power or cable, and there's no flooding in the basement -- usually we're among the first for these things! But the heaviest winds aren't supposed to arrive for another two or three hours, so we'll see. And we've got a generator hooked up so unless a tree falls on that even a power outage shouldn't be particularly annoying.

Really, I hope it all passes peacefully. My facebook feed is full of "bring it on" comments, but frankly I'd rather my preparations have been in vain than be put to the test, and I'd rather all my friends and acquaintances who did no preparation be smug than suffering in the hours to come.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Hope you all get through it in one piece. I've been watching it on TV, and it's getting bad/scary in some places.

I couldn't believe that they closed down transit in NYC at noon. How are people going to get out? Did they warn people ahead of time of the closure?

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Oh, yes. They've been telling people since Friday to evacuate, that they were going to be shutting things down, etc.

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Well, okay, then. There are some people who will be stupid no matter what, and stay when they should go.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Sorry, folks, I'm having some serious computer problems...

9. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

The 1931 Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, starring Fredic March, now starting on TCM.

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    God love TCM, I've seen more interesting movies on that station than in any theatre.

11. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    The Curse of Frankenstein, 1957, starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, starting
    shortly on TCM.

I love the billing: and Christopher Lee as "The Creature."

Chosen by this month's guest programming, John Carpenter.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Cheesy Hammer goodness. :)

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I still event decided my horror film schedule for Halloween this year. I'm definitely going to pick up the Criterion release of 'Island of Lost Souls'

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I saw that on TCM. Adaptation of "The Island of Dr. Moreau"

You know the Brando version? That is not better.

Get "The Fearless Vampire Slayers" instead.

15. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://mimg.ugo.com/200904/21413/moreau_bucket.jpg]

Marlon Brando wearing an ice bucket on his head in THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU.

Not the Master's finest cinematic moment.

16. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah the best thing to come out of that film was the parody character on South Park

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    All I can say is that Charles Laughton camps it up mightily.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Figured this might be the best thread to share this link in: Darth Vader's Greatest Speech Ever Made, pairing footage from ROTJ & TCW with a Carlie Chaplin speech I've never heard before (although the title of the movie it's apparently from is known to me, so it may be more obvious to those who have seen that), with a dash of Zimmer. Quite excellent.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Thanksgiving in the States today.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating it. :)

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Why on earth do you have it so late? A month from Xmas makes no sense at all. We have ours in mid-October.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's all marketing. After all, you can't have Halloween and Thanksgiving in the same month.:p

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    That's when we have Columbus Day. According to Wikipedia one traditional reason why Thanksgiving is later in the states is that the harvest season ends earlier farther north.

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I looked it up, too, and it turns out that Thanksgiving wasn't a holiday in Canada until 1957, but the First Nations did have a harvest festival in October, so they chose that.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thanksgiving makes complete sense in its current placement on the American calendar.

You just haven't looked at it in a purely western capitilist mindset. A holiday which has devolved into the celebration of gluttony only works to its apex if the weather outside holds the potential of being miserable.

How else could my wife and I go out to eat amongst the bourgeois, stuffing our faces with more food than a human body can contend with, and enjoy the pleasure of having the maitre de go outside to shoo off the starving orphans who were standing outside the window next to our table...?

The scenario isn't nearly as pleasurable if the orphans aren't shivering near death.