main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Anakin Solo Discussion Thread, v2.0 (Spoilers Allowed; Please See Thread Rules)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    We don't have a clear indication that that form is actually Anakin's body. His body was in YV hands for multiple hours, and then this is what we're given:
    Additionally, let's remember that Jaina herself was compelled to retrieve the body:
    And we also have to question exactly how did they know that the "Anakin-sized husk" was the one that contained Anakin's body? So, we have two unexplained things right there: 1) Jaina's compulsion to retrieve the body and 2) how did they know which husk contained Anakin's body.

And when Tahiri questions where Anakin's body is, this is the exchange we're given (as an aside, this appears before the appearance of the husk):
    Oddly, he explains about the docking pit with Vergere and companions, but doesn't actually say anything about Anakin's body.

Now, what about the compulsion? Why would Jaina feel compelled to retrieve the husk? For an answer to that, let's go look at Traitor for a moment:
    We have here one of many examples of Vergere being able to influence a Skywalker-class Force sensitive. And who was sitting right there on the field playing with Anakin's lightsaber when the strike team retrieved the Anakin sized husk?
    Any other complaints? I can poke holes in the "he's dead" theory all day.

2. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I haven't seen any vocal opponent of Anakin's return have any problem with the return of Sintas Vel, even when that return didn't actually serve no purpose whatsoever except make Boba Fett look better. A very minor reason to resurrect a character. I think the excuse is that she is a minor character; yet she is a minor character whose resurrection is connected to a relatively major character.[face_plain]

I've said it before, and I say it now: SW does resurrections pretty often, especially if we count all the short term "thought to be dead, proved to be alive" cases. We find them in every second book, basically. And even major resurrections happen often enough. I don't think these vocal opponents are really honest when they say that they oppose Anakin's return, because SW doesn't do resurrections, I think they just oppose the resurrection of this particular character. Some of them have relatively ok arguments how it would spoil NJO for them etc, how Anakin's character would suffer from it etc, but many of them seem just want to keep Anakin dead. It seems to be an obsession for them, poor things.:(

3. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    There's been plenty of discussion on why the Legacy-era Fels are Force-sensitive, and there's some visual similarity between Marasiah and Jaina/Padme. It points to Jaina/Jag, with a slim possibility of Allana/Jag, Jaina/other Fel, or Allana/other Fel, but...

what if the Fel line has nothing to do with Jaina OR Allana? If Anakin survived and fathered a daughter, that daughter could marry into the Fel family at a later stage. Probably too young for Jag, but could end up with his son (provided Jaina isn't the mother... [face_plain])

It's out-there, but Del Rey has done more bizarre things. Like bringing back Daala. And the Sintas carbonite thing.

4. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Sintas thing was a decision done by one author. I think there are many persons involved in fleshing out the Fel family tree. So it's not the same thing. And when it's decided by a committee, it's Jaina and Captain Cardboard who will start the Fel dynasty, I'm sure of it.

5. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    It looks like it impossible for Anakin Solo to come back to life ever. :_|

6. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    No it doesn't. It isn't impossible, it's just a decision which the people in power don't want to make. And when it depends on just the decisions of few persons, it's not impossible.

7. Emperor_Time

Aug 31, 2007
    Your right but still it seems like it more unlikely than ever though. :_|

8. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    If Star Wars can do immaculate conception it can do ressurection. Who's to argue with the will of the Force?

The Sintas/prolonged carbonite idea was great. Kinda wish they would have saved it for something bigger, like a Sith Lord or somebody that was stuck in carbonite for 1000s of years now brought back to wreak havoc on the galaxy.

9. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    WHO SHOT ANAKIN SOLO?

Since it came up in Troy Denning's radio interview last night, and subsequently in this thread, I thought I'd put all the information on who made the decision to render Anakin "unavailable" to the plot into one, easy-to-follow post.

In doing so... I think I may have noticed something new...? :eek:

First, a series of quotes:

Here's what seems to have happened:

Multiple comments by four of the six members of the NJO planning team (Randy Stradley, Sue Rostoni, Shelly Shapiro and Jim Luceno) indicate that the original story outline of the NJO had Anakin in the hero role, Jacen dying, and Luke as the big movie-canon causalty.

George Lucas sent his comments on this series outline b

10. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    No wonder, his was a combination of two magic names in SW. Partisans of Ben Skywalker and Cade Skywalker can say whatever what they want, but Anakin Solo could have sold books, comics and whatever just with the power his name alone... And that he was a great character wouldn't have hurt either.

11. r2d2istheman

r2d2istheman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    Anakin was a great CHARACTER. Through and through, he was likeable and interesting. It's a shame...a damn shame.

12. r2d2istheman

r2d2istheman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005

13. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    You know, I loved Stackpole before I saw this quote (Onslaught is my favorite SW book), now I love him even more [face_love]

A very wise man who should have been listened to.

14. Emperor_Time

Aug 31, 2007
    Maybe they will clone Anakin and put his soul into the clone to bring him back to life. [face_praying]

15. WraithLead

WraithLead Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Has anyone ever asked specifically why jacen could not be killed?

16. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Personally, I really hope Golden Boy stays dead.

17. Reemsworld

Reemsworld Jedi Master star 1

Mar 16, 2006
    Bring the Man back!!!!
    There's nothing to it but to do it.

18. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I agree!=D=:)

19. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    SPOILER WARNING for anyone who hasn't read Invincible.

He's dead. I now realize that. As long as the pro-Imperial, militarist faction of fans control the fan community and the direction of the EU, there is no room for fantasy anymore in SW, it seems. Thus, we will never get our Anakin Solo/King Arthur storyline.

Beyond that, the moment clearly passed with Invincible. The opportunity for a great storyline came and went with the death of Jacen, and with Tahiri turning back toward the light side. I mean, why bring him back now? If they were going to do it they would have done it in LOTF, as they were setting up the future of the EU. A miserable, dark, hopeless future at that! But that's another topic.

There's just no reason to bring him back now or no need for him. Jaina and Ben both proved they can handle future threats. And Tahiri clearly said she is done with all Solos... implying she is not done with Skywalkers, thus putting the final piece in for Ben as Anakin's replacement. Man, LFL must think we are stupid to A) not catch that and B)not be insulted by it.

The exact moment I knew all this was when Ben decided -- after Tahiri kills Shevu -- that he feels pity for Tahiri and thinks she can be saved.

The thing that upsets me is we don't even get a Force ghost Anakin. At least we could have had him show up during the Jaina/Jacen fight with a plea for them to stop or something. But no.

And now Jacen is dead? Ummm... killing Jacen now still doesn't make up for the fact that they killed Anakin in SBS instead of Jacen back then. All it does is kill 2 interesting people in the EU. And it bugs me how these whiny, pro-Empire fans bitched until finally Jacen got killed because they didn't like the idea that he was a pacifist Jedi when NJO started.
    "He's not strong."
    "He's a stupid character for not fighting."
    Talk about boring characters: every single Imperial since Thrawn. Even Thrawn was the same rigid, stiff upper lip type as the lot of them. And Daala, too... "oh but wait she's a female." Pleeeease.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if they took Jaina and made her an Imperial and start the idea of the Imperial Knights?? Answer: no. Would it be cool if they gave Jag a personality? Answer: yes.

20. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I agree, sadly:(, that one of the messages of Invincible was that Anakin can't be brought back. Official Reason? He can't be brought back, because he can't be brought back. Unofficial reason: Ben Skywalker.[face_tired]

QFT except the Jaina part - I don't think she will be handling any future threats. She will have the fate of Padme in RoTS. To be in the sidelines until she has produced kids, after which she will die too.[face_plain]

After all these years, I just can't understand why we can't even get to see Anakin as a Force Ghost. It would make his death permanent, but it would at least show that at one level he made it. If we get Force Ghost Mara, then why not Anakin as a Force Ghost? Why can't it be done?

Jaina will start the IKs so that the Jedi Order will be rid of even the last Solo kid. And after that, it will be just about Skywalkers. Both in novels and comics.

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    My last post from the now closed "Bring back Anakin Solo" thread:

Do you really think that reality can match the expectations that people have for the future of characters like Jaina, Ben, Allana or let's say Valin Horn? I don't think so. So how would resurrected Anakin Solo, who couldn't fulfill every dream of every single fan, differ from these characters? If people would really think that characters had to be kind of super Swiss knives, everything for everyone, before it would be worthwile to write and read about them, then we couldn't have any stories at all.

And what comes to those fans with ideas like that about the value of his sacrifice they can go and visit real war memorials and cemeteries. Those are much better testaments for the futility of war than the death of a fictional character.

22. darth187

darth187 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2008
    I was a big fan of Anakin Solo necause i saw him as more of a hero and main charcter than luke.Now i'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to some charcters but i would love to see him back.

1.because we need a hero, and ben is a while away from it. (and those who could have been are only background characters e.g. kyp)

2. Thye did bring palpatine back (far featched i know)

3. You see alot of force ghosts

4. i know why epople will disagree but after the end of LOTF i want a hereo to reda about.

Why did they kill anakin off? i bet they're kicking themsleves now with all the messing about they've done with the characters. lowbacc, raynar etc.

i think when they killed anakin alot more people would rather have seen the tradgey be (luke han or lea ) or atleast i wolud have

although im not a big big fan of clone wrs (only because iknow it inside out now) there were alot of sotires on differnet ,asters and kinights (macre windu, aayla secura. i think we need that in the LOTF era adn beyond

23. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Truth is, Anakin and Jacen should come back. Ben doesn't have any male cousins to hang out with. It's horrible. Anakin and Jacen could've been like big brothers to him. The Solo brothers should've lived.

24. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Yes, Invincible really did close the door on this world. How cool would it have been to see Ben and all these next generation heroes facing the next threat? I think back on what made all the stories great and it was the characters and character interaction... now there is no one. IMO, the story brings us to the book, the characters keep us coming back. Ben simply doesn't have the weight and history that the Solo kids did through their rise in the Bantam books and the YJK books. There is so much lost opportunity to see how that generation would have handled things after the torch was passed. And I will miss the way the dynamic was when they (Anakin, Jacen and Jaina) were in the same scenes together. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for family conflict (Jaina vs. Jacen), but it's a wash when they just resolve it by killing one of them.

It really is, as one poster above said, a damn shame.

25. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    The poor kid has zero friends. Jacen and Anakin could've been his best pals in the universe. And Allana doesn't even have a daddy. I can already picture Jacen teaching her jokes and how to love animals. This is just too darn sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.