main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Ancestry and Ethnicity Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It should be said that unless there were some extra-marital affairs those dark pigments must have come in to the family Before the 1850's, since we know the family history going back to my maternal grandfather's (born in 1905) grandparents.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

So I received my 23 and Me reports today, to add to the above.

Again, there's similarities and differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ancestry timeline looks about right, I just don't know where the Balkans and Southern European parts comes from.

The bloodgroups were the same... Indo-European on my patrilineal side, Middle Eastern on my matrilineal side, if you go back like 10,000 years.

All my traits were right, and thankfully no genetic variants for any of the 41 genetic diseases they have listed right now.

And I have even more Neanderthal genes than Darth Guy , 3-4%, more than 97% of other people :p

[​IMG]

And Lord Vivec , the FDA has just given 23andMe approval to add 10 more genetic diseases, so that'll probably show up soon too...

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You're also somehow whiter than Darth Guy. :p

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Good news! My mom took the test and now I'm slightly less white! Unfortunately she didn't pass her 0.01% Ashkenazi heritage on to me. :(

[​IMG]

Lord Vivec likes this.
  5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    As a direct result of genetic testing, I recently got in touch with a branch of my family that I'd never met or known about. That alone was worth the cost of the kit.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    How rude! :p

7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Bump.

So, I got a 23andme DNA kit as a Mother's Day present. I haven't registered/ sent my sample yet but yay.

I'm still undecided as to whether to go for the ancestry only, or go ahead and include the genetic screening, since FDA recently approved them to screen for some diseases.

8. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I've been wanting to do one for a while. I've been into genealogy most of my life and have mapped out my family history back to the 1600's. I'm pretty certain I know what I am ethnically obviously, but it would be cool to see if they confirm it.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Btw, I just downloaded my 23andMe data to Promethease... if you don't want to give yourself a good scare with disease risks, don't use that site! :p

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Old thread I know but my results have been updated now that 23andMe can differentiate between different non-white groups

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Incidentally, to address the earlier question, they're only as good as their data, and a ton of the data was from people who knew all four grandparents were from somewhere in Europe, so the resolution was much better. A while back, 23 and me was running a deal for free tests for people that knew all four of their grandparents were born in particular parts of Africa so they could increase their data set. It looks like they've got a lot more training data for Asia as well.

And I got all the fun stuff because I signed up before the government said they had to stop talking about things like relative cancer risks and the like. I blame a bunch of people with thoughts like "23% less likely to get lung cancer? I can smoke everything now!"

CT-867-5309 and Lord Vivec like this.
  12. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    My mom did this type of stuff last year.

Her side is typical for a Jewish family that can trace to the novominsker Rebbes, my grandmothers cousin just passed away due to Covid this year and his sons succeeded him (My mother is an ancestors of the a mix of Middle Eastern and European.)

My dad's uncle(his mothers brother,l has been tracing that side of the families history for longer, at least since the mid 1990's and has traced things all the way back 1660's. Again Jewish so Middle Eastern and European show up but we apparently have some native American, specifically Creek ancestry. My grandmother's ancestors came to the US around the time of the War of 1812 and settled originally in Forsyth County. Georgia. While the local Christians would nor have Inter married with Jews apparently the Creek tribe did not have a problem. My grandmother's great, great grandmother was a creek woman who fell in love with a Jewish jeweler. I have a tiny amount of Creek ancestry which is kind of cool.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    This thread being upped prompted me to take another look and I'm whiter than ever before!

[​IMG]

I don't know when they added it but the country maps are kinda interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    39% Londoner.

Not too shabby

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Colin Robinson still has you beat

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh turns out I just got the update!

And it weirdly doesn't identify my French and German heritage as what it mostly is, which is Dutch.

Anyway, amazingly my Angolan and Congolese ancestry on my mom's side haven't ever gone away... So it must be distinct enough to be confident. And yes my mom's side of the family owned slaves.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My sister did this like a month ago it was pretty boring all from Europe mostly Russia and Ukraine and British and Irish. I did learn I was like 1% Jewish so that was something

18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    My brother did the DNA thing and found out that our ancestry was just what we thought; Irish, English, German on one side. Swedish, Polish on the other. The farthest back it could be traced was 1500s in the Baltics.

My dad's side was easy to trace, my mom's side was a total enigma. They apparently liked to change the spelling of their name with every census, and changed their home country depending on the year. (Of course back then there were a lot of border changes in Russia/Poland) But they seemed to have total distrust of anything government related. There's not a single birth certificate or anything. Found out that one great great grandmother, on my dad's side, died at 32, after getting married at 15 and having like 9 kids, from a specific kind of heart disease - which my brother then found out he also had. His isn't bad and is now being looked after. But back in the 1800s it was usually not known about and couldn't be treated.

We also did some research and found out that my paternal ancestors came to the New World much earlier than we thought. We were told that my grandparents were either born here in the US, or came here just after being born in Canada, sometime in the early 1900s. They used to live in Nova Scotia, and moved out just before the huge explosion there. And before Canada the family was originally form Germany. Made it all sound so recent.

But...we found out that our family had been living in Canada, in Nova Scotia since 1670 or so. They were one of the first settlers in the area, from Germany, escaping religious persecution. They arrived on a ship called the Murdoch, and about 30 people had died on the journey. As soon as they got here, they were forced into the 'army', to fight off Native Americans, and protect the settlement, and then settled into farming afterwards. They lived there right up until they moved to Boston in the early 1900s, and then lived in Boston until the 1940s. We found a few clues as to where in Germany, and think we found our ancestors in Germany from the late 1500s. But records back then are really iffy and hard to ready or make sense of. We found photos and lots of name changes too for my dad's mother's side who came from Ireland and England. Pretty sure we could go back further if we dug around.

19. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Now this is something I really dig. DNA Genealogy. I have tested with the Big 3 (I guess) DNA Testing companies. I'm waiting for my 23 and me Results, but I have my dna on familytreedna and Ancestry.

Ethnicity Estimate
    Nothing really out of the ordinary for me. My Grandmother on my mom's side is Polish, but I don't know much about that particular branch. I was able to go back to my GGG Grandparents, but hit a massive brick wall. But like you mentioned, Poland really wasn't a country until the 1900's I think? Prior to that they were split between Russia/Germany

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Can these DNA tests be used against you by health insurance companies?

Coruscant likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    According to the family history buffs, I'm mostly English on my mother's side and mostly German on my father's side. Last name is Americanized from a traditional Prussian name.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Not yet. I am sure if they really wanted to they could get the laws changed

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    How does one Americanize Hohenzollern?

24. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
  25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    They Americanized my last name by removing the O' two generations back.