main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Anthology Films and Episode III

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bosskkkk, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosskkkk

Bosskkkk Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 18, 2012
    Hello everyone,

I'm going to preface this post by saying I was slightly disappointed with the ending of Revenge of the Sith when it came out .... mostly because I feel it rushed a few important points (such as shoehorning Tarkin and the Death Star at the end - and shoehorning the mention of Qui Gon's spirit) (as well as shoehorning in Chewbacca)

I always felt this never fully linked up with Episode IV, and it always felt, thematically, and story wise, a large chunk was missing making the films Revenge of the Sith and a New Hope feel completely separate, even though they were supposed to be linked up.

However, nowadays, whenever I watch the ending of Revenge of The Sith, I feel (and I doubt this was done on purpose) that the ending scenes are absolutely PERFECT to set up the links directly into the ANTHOLOGY films. My favorite scene is now the one where YODA is discussing the future with BAIL ORGANA and OBI WAN KENOBI on the Tantive IV. When the 2 characters go their seperate ways at the end of that scene, it now ties in perfectly for the "split story" approach that the anthology films will likely take (assuming they all take place between EPS III and IV). See my exciting diagram below for a nice visual thematic and cinematic explanation ->

[​IMG]

So, basically, long story short ... I used to be disappointed with the ending of Revenge of the Sith ... but now I think it sets things up perfectly, almost like it was the plan all along to have 2 different films splitting off from the main story, then leading back into A New Hope (which I doubt that was the original intention, but it now works perfectly :) )

(Also, as an aside, I used to think the inclusion of Chewbacca in EPIII was awful as well ..... but now.....it's the perfect set up for his eventual rescue by Han Solo in the Han Solo spin off (would be great if Chewie is locked up with Tarful still before he is rescued as a nice visual connection (although Tarfull should die during the escape to add more drama)

Anyway, long rambling post....but anyone agree with the above?

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    What...a...great...diagram!! Well done!

Because I am no fan of ROTS (for a lot of the reasons you mentioned) I will bow out of this thread as I will have nothing constructive to say :cool: Just wanted to give you props after having a look.

3. Bosskkkk

Bosskkkk Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for the kind words....

I recall a while ago, that Kathleen Kennedy (or someone) likened the approach they are taking with the ANTHOLOGY FILMS to be similar to the approach that they have been taking with the marvel AVENGERS films...

This confused me a little bit, until I realized that we were likely looking at things the wrong way round...

Marvel films went like this ->

IRON MAN....... \
    HULK ................\ ------------------- >
    CAP AMERICA. /-------------------- > AVENGERS
    THOR.............. /

so if we assume "A NEW HOPE" is actually the Star Wars equivalent of the "AVENGERS" film (ie the film where all characters and story threads re-combine), then it becomes obvious that the stand alone films are all designed to have story threads that resolved in "A New Hope" - thus we get -

ROGUE ONE..... \
    HAN SOLO.......... \ ------------------->
    KENOBI(?).......... / --------------------> A NEW HOPE
    BOBA FETT(?) ../

(Therefore in the STAR WARS franchise A NEW HOPE = THE AVENGERS)

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think there are multiple great opportunities to let the Anthology/Star Wars Stories films function as bridges between the PT and the OT. Now, first and foremost I think they need to be able to work as films unto themselves, with their own unique styles and genres. But I almost feel that's perfect in context of them being bridges, as you get a really diverse look at what's become of the Galaxy following the upheaval it went through in RotS, with many different shades on display. For the Han standalone, I've brought that point up before in that Chewbacca's appearance in RotS would feel more like setup for his role in that film, as opposed to showing up 19 years later in ANH in a completely different context. And let's say the inevitable Boba Fett film is set between III and IV; instead of his next appearance after AotC being in TESB as one of Vader's contracted bounty hunters (or in ANH as part of Jabba's posse if you're watching the Special Edition), you see what's become of this ten-year old kid in the years after the conclusion of the Clone Wars within the new Galactic status quo.

5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I love episode III as my favorite film in the saga (and all time)

But that diagram certainly seems intriguing. I can definitely see how the ending could merge well not only into the OT which was the intention, but into Rogue 1, but we will see when the film comes out I suppose.

Though I feel episode 6 and 7 need a bridge far more than 3 and 4 do.

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's just what it is. Have they even announced a Kenobi movie?

7. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I think George has admitted that he planned to make spin-off films set in-between ROTS and ANH. He just couldn't find the right desire to do it.

While I fully support the idea of a Kenobi film being a new link between ROTS and ANH, I don't understand why you felt disappointed by the ending of ROTS. The ROTS showed Anakin's fall to the dark side and the fall of the Jedi Order and the Republic. That was the story. I think the small ending connecting the ties to ANH were just enough, I'm glad they didn't over-do it.

weezer and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  8. emanswfan

emanswfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2016
    Awesome way to think about it! Oddly enough I actually wasn't big into the ANH tie-ins as they feel a bit forced and insincere, taking focus away from the story portrayed in the film. I'd rather these new spin-offs cover such connections, assuming they all turn out to be worthwhile endeavors.

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I for one loved the ending of ROTS - I think George nailed it , at the end of the day George would have never thought an anthology movie would ever be made....

Mostly Handless and Wildcatbarry like this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    You answered your own question, I think. Audiences didn't just want to see the story they knew occur (which you assume is enough for fans). They wanted to see that story executed well...

DarthCricketer likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    audiences are dumb.

12. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    JabbatHB, "executed well"? That wasn't the issue the OP had with ROTS. His only issue with ROTS was that it lacked (in his opinion) more direct ties to ANH. Even though that wasn't the story of ROTS.

It's posts like these that reinstates my belief that this board is administred by folks who are biased against the PT. Appearantly, when I call the audience who liked TFA for "falling easily for a stupid reboot" that's not OK and warrants me a warning. But this post by thejeditraitor, calling audiences who liked PT's story for "dumb", appearantly that's OK. :D

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i wasn't calling the pt dumb and by my posting history you should know that. i was speaking generally. get off you high horse please. i also posted "eat the casuals first" in that other thread. you're so bent on defending the pt that you're calling out people (me) who are hardcore fans of it. quit while you're ahead.

fyi, i used to post in the pt forum more than most people but i left because of this kind of behavior.

PymParticles and Avnar like this.
  14. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    We are one month and one day away from May 4th, 2017.

Will we get any new news this year on that day.

Rumors abound that there will be now news on the Han Solo Anthology at Celebration Orlando.
    Are they waiting for May 4th to release news? As you know Han Solo was the first character to state the icon phrase "May the Force be with You". Maybe May 4th will be with the Han Solo Anthology film.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  15. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I thought the same thing, but I just never posted it, like he did.

It would be cool to see Jimmy Smits return to Alderaan with a young Leia, 8-10 years before Rogue One and A New Hope. I'm thinking perhaps an 18 episode Netflix series would be nice, this way, you can tell a better story and not worry about if it would do well at the box office. I know it wouldn't, because there's already too much being told already, however, I have always wanted to see more of Alderaan, Bail Organa and Leia, and I thought I would see more Alderaan in Episode III, but that wasn't the case.

16. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I'd love to see more of Alderaan, and more of Leia in general.

As for as the connections between ROTS and ANH, I don't feel like a Kenobi film is particularly needed to link the two. If it happens and it's good, that'll be great, but the other side (Alderaan) seems like it holds more storytelling space.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Wildcatbarry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.