main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Anti-Disney Thread (now also Anti-Hamilton)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Apr 1, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Another head for the collection.

jp-30 likes this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Comrade Disney!

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    She is right.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I remember reading that she stopped taking private jets because the opulence and environmental impact came to disgust her. She's a weird one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Is she related to Walt?

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    No. Her name is a coincidence.

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Funny seeing you here Arlol. This is the Anti-Disney thread, and considering the fact that Walt Disney was alleged to be racist, sexist, and anti-semetic, you'd think he'd fit right in with you and your Proud Boys.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Wikipedia does exist...

Abigail E. Disney (born January 24, 1960 in Los Angeles, California) is an American documentary filmmaker, philanthropist, and activist known for her documentary films focused on social themes. She is the Executive Producer and Director of the Emmy-winning film The Armor of Light, which premiered at the 2015 Tribeca Film Festival.

Early life
    Abigail Disney was raised in North Hollywood, California, and was educated at Yale (BA), Stanford (MA, English Lit), and Columbia (PhD, English Lit). She is the daughter of Patricia Ann (née Dailey) and Roy E. Disney and granddaughter of Roy O. Disney, co-founder of The Walt Disney Company with her great uncle Walt Disney. While pursuing her PhD, Disney taught English and American literature at Iona College and wrote a dissertation on the role of romanticized violence in American life.

Community activism and philanthropy
    Disney and her husband Pierre Hauser created The Daphne Foundation in 1991 in order to fund programs that confront the causes and consequences of poverty in the five boroughs of New York City.

In 2008, Disney launched Peace is Loud, a nonprofit organization that inspires action through media and live events that spotlight women leaders on the frontlines of peacebuilding worldwide. The organization’s mission is to generate a groundswell of people committed to building a culture of peace. Disney serves as the Founder and President.

Disney has made several overseas trips with fellow peace activists, including Nobel laureate Leymah Gbowee. The two traveled to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) in 2011 to spend a week working with women peace activists and to explore ideas for building peace in their country. The following year, they visited Sri Lanka, where women activists launched the Sri Lankan Women's Agenda on Peace, Security and Development, inspired by Gbowee's legacy.

In 2012 she renounced her share of the profits from the Disney family investment in the Ahava cosmetics company whose factory is located in a West Bank settlement. She stated "I cannot in good conscience profit from what is technically the 'plunder' or 'pillage' of occupied natural resources..." For legal reasons she could not withdraw her investments and therefore donated the investments and profits "to organizations working to end this illegal exploitation."

In May 2015, Disney joined Gbowee and 28 other international women peacebuilders to cross the 2-mile wide De-Militarized Zone (DMZ) separating North and South Korea in an act of solidarity with Korean women and to call for an end to the Korean War. The peacebuilders headed international peace symposia in Pyongyang and Seoul, where they listened to Korean women and shared experiences of mobilizing women to end conflict.​

9. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Thank you for the info

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No. But, what does it matter? She is a minor shareholder who finds it appalling that a company she invests in helps exacerbate inequality. A publicly traded company means she can also question their actions(however inadequate those questions might be).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *points up to @Ghost 's post.*

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Well, they managed to take Star Wars and ruin it, so that alone is reason to be angry with them.

I mean, they took the character that defines hero and turned him into a piece of crap.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    no star wars in the jcc

SuperWatto, Ghost, Outsourced and 2 others like this.
  15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm surprised to hear all of you are avoiding going to see Endgame next weekend.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Why would I watch the next marvel movie when I haven't even seen the last two hundred?

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm surprised the person that created this thread went to Celebration, but we all know the JCC moto: "Having your cake and complaining about it too". :p

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Sarge and solojones like this.
  18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I haven't seen a Marvel movie in years. I am pure.

19. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Yeah pretty much. Saw the first Iron Man in theaters because it's my Dad's 2nd favorite superhero. Saw Captain America at home. That's it. No interest in the rest.

My brother on the other hand: he's seen most. So yeah he will see

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Because all the cool kids are doing it.

Chewgumma and Outsourced like this.
  21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    That's what they told me when I ate tide pods, and I'll never recover from that brain damage.

I refuse to inflict more.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]
    It's called the MCU, Chewgumma. It turns all your bad feelings into good feelings. It's a nightmare! You don't want no part of this ****!

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    For reals, though, Infinity War is an awesome movie.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Mickey keeps dodging public domain with copyright extension, anyone else notice that Disney still trots out the Steamboat Willie design to keep it "current", like Steamboat Willie Mickey is literally the Disney animation logo, maybe for a way to say that the original design and character is still being actively used.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I wonder if the emergence of Disney Plus will have an effect on anti-Disney sentiment..... [face_thinking]