main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Archaeology and History Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Oct 8, 2018.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    She's not even that. She's more of a mercenary and thief really.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Now this makes me wonder if, just like certain aspects of technology (and even politics and aesthetics) remain mired in the 1970s, if not earlier, if there are some professions that just never developed past where they did in the eighteenth/nineteenth century in our world.

3. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    As someone who actually works in a museum myself, there are indeed artifact repatriation controversies and such still ongoing to this day. To my own museum's credit they generally side with the people requesting the repatriation, but others are not so obliging.

4. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    ... really? Could you elaborate?

I know it's nosy and you're at perfectly liberty to decline, but I just finished Matthew Bogdanos' Thieves of Baghdad recently, (about the antiquities looting enabled by the Iraq War). And, well, I'm an Indy fan, so...

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I do wonder-how amongst secular GFFA historians Jedi Sith conflicts would be viewed?

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's cool. Repatriation of cultural property seems to be gaining steam. There are a few holdouts -- I don't imagine the Louvre or the British Museum will be sending back the highlights of their collection any time soon (though there was a hilarious recent story where a curator said "not all" artifacts in the museum were looted, which is telling). But there does seem to be a trend towards repatriation, especially of recently smuggled artifacts.

Nation states often seem more willing to hand back artifacts -- the State Department, though it doesn't seem to be doing much these days, is still participating in bilateral talks to return cultural heritage, which is nice.

Could be doing more though. And smuggling is still rife. Cultural property law is still somewhat dependent on enforcement and negotiations by the states party, rather than through any binding means. I don't see that changing any time soon sadly, but every little bit helps I guess.

Problem is that European nations have a vested interest in saying colonialism provides valid title -- that regardless of the power disparities and other shenanigans during acquisition, that "legally" acquired items don't have to be returned. There seems to be an acknowledgement about smuggled goods, but not about artifacts acquired "legitimately" by those powers in their national collections. The Indian government recently reiterated its request to the British government for the return of the Koh-i-Noor (citing the very very shady circumstances of acquisition) and the British government's response was basically "lol never."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Random thought, but - how long does it take for some lost ship or outpost to go from "wreckage for salvage" to "archeological item for study"?

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "Whatever amount of time is necessary for the technology to become obsolete" might be one answer.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  9. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    Problem with that is that alot of ancient technology in Star Wars stories comes in the form of super-advanced, one-of-a-kind tech.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’d just call the 200 BBY to 140 ABY period ‘the Star Wars’, to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Why 200 BBY as a start date?

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It can be even a few decades -- last year I was working on this stone wall that some people thought was an old 17th century fort foundation and others claimed was part of a support to prevent erosion in the 1960s. While it ended up being a fort, any 1960s stuff was considered part of the archaeological material.

Sometimes archaeologists excavate "recent" stuff to test the science of archaeology itself (ethnoarchaeology). For instance, I read this really cool study recently about some archaeologists who excavated a village in rural French Guiana that was abandoned in the 1990s when the government made the people move out. Most of them were still alive today. The archaeologists excavated the village prior to speaking with the former villagers, on purpose, so they could make unbiased predictions about what was going on at the site. Then they interviewed the old villagers and matched their interpretations with the true story. They were spot-on for some things and completely off for others (for instance, the village leader's hut was not the largest in the center, but a smaller one farther off to the side -- this was because he didn't like having people bugging him at his doorstep all the time, and he had a designated secretary living at the bigger hut to filter visitors). One guy returned to with the archaeologists to check out the site and found his old bike, which he took to repair and use again, even though it had been "excavated".

So yeah -- anything can be considered archaeological if you can make a case for it.

If you're interested in more on that topic, I'd recommend Skull Wars by David Hurst Thomas (excellent archaeologist) and The Rape of the Nile by Brian Fagan (another great archaeologist). The first is about the issue I think @Hamburger_Time was referring to, in that the US has a law now (the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, or NAGPRA) that mandates federally-recognized tribes have a say in archaeological excavations and museum items that were associated with a burial. It's become a heated topic recently. The second is about all the stuff that was looted from Egypt, mostly by Europe. There were some crazy characters involved in that, like Giovanni Belzoni, who Aphra might have admired.

My job involves a lot of repatriating artifacts to a country that the US took a lot of stuff from in the last century. Usually it's not literally arresting people but just asking for stuff back, but sometimes the government or cops get involved if there's sketchy antiquities business going on behind the scenes. Or like recently I ran into a US expat who openly admitted he had used a metal detector to find stuff in an area he knew had artifacts, and he found a burial and basically looted it. He had no idea it was illegal so we're not going to bust him for it, but he's definitely going to be asked to give it back (if he refuses, then the legal battle comes in).

Antiquities laws in countries are usually not as severe as most laws, but sometimes they can have teeth. Sting operations have become hugely popular in recent years, although unfortunately it doesn't help the fact that the damage has already been done (for one example among many: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...l-native-american-artifacts-looted-180956959/).

13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    One of my fantasy Things Hollywood Should Do/Things I Would Do If I Ever Wrote Fiction is a series in the Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/Uncharted vein, but set in the fifties and sixties (i.e. the height of decolonization) and with a main character who's Egyptian, Indian, or otherwise from a recently decolonized country... who makes a living stealing back artifacts from places like Europe or North America and returning them to their country of origin wherever possible. The main story can still be the usual treasure hunt for some world-altering magical artifact, but the opening gambits showing the main character's day job would be that sort of thing.

I can even picture an introductory sequence, one that mirrors the opening of Raiders of the Lost Ark... Only instead of an abandoned temple in the jungle, the main character is robbing the Louvre. ("Take the idol without setting off a pressure plate," after all, works at least as well with modern security systems as it does ancient booby traps).

14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Thanks for explaining. That sounds like an incredibly interesting job. And I will definitely check out the books you recommend.

15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting stuff. Thanks everyone!

Looks like salvaging in the Star Wars galaxy could be a legally tricky business then - with the galaxy's long history, it seems statistically likely that anything you find is probably under the realm of archeology - and per Dr. Aphra, only people with archeology doctorates can sell those legally.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    HAHAHAHA. I mean I may have no background in archaeology or law, but come on archaeologists are like auctioneers with pickaxes right? :p

Seriously though your job sounds awesome Barriss!! Honestly really want to see an actual archaeologist or historian in the Aphra book. Her father may be better than her, but he is still more than a little compromised.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, that is a pretty silly plot point....

LelalMekha likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It’s when the dark side started to tip and general chaos ensured, and the start of the Mandalorian conflict where they genocide the Ithullans, resulting in rogue Jedi and the Bounty Hunters Guild skirmishing with them, until Durge kills the present Mandalore... which is implied be a shadow conflict which could have lasted until 132 BBY.

Also, it’s the clear point where the Grand Design begins in earnest, and dozens of small conflicts and changes to the Senate that walk inexorably towards Chancellor Palpatine begin, let alone the issues which underpin the start of of the Mandalorian Civil War, which itself feeds directly into the Grand Design.

Otherwise it’s difficult to pick a starting point.

When the corporations became voting entities and the senate essentially became nonfunctional? With the Dark Jedi Conflict and the rediscovery of the Rule of Two? When the Mandalorian Civil War began, being as it fed straight into the Great Clan Wars and from that point onwards not a year goes by without some conflict or war until... well, until the Apocalypse itself?

Picking the Clone Wars as the start point ignores the decade preceding in which a thousand Jedi died in dozens of peacekeeping battles, ignores the Battle of Naboo, the Stark Hyperspace Conflict, the Mandalorian Civil War/Great Clan Wars, the Yinchorri crisis and so forth.

200 BBY is when the Sith announced themselves to the Force and began to tip the galaxy’s balance. In many way it’s their declaration of war; the Jedi just don’t know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That's an interesting analysis-though the start of the galactic conflicts that would reshape the Galaxy began in 22 BBY. The minor conflicts, intrigues, and Sith scheming of course all led up to that-but 22 BBY seems like a good start date at least in terms of historical periodization.

21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Considering the political situation in some of the countries the artefacts were "borrowed" from, I would prefer they stay where they are. Not to mention way more people have a chance to see them when they're in places like London or Paris.

22. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Isn't this a really inverted way of thinking about this? What destabilizes a nation like having its cultural heritage looted by a foreign power? What makes London or Paris a place where more people have a chance to "see them", if not the fact that they stole them in the first place?

23. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Not my contribution, but: Crises of the 26th Millennium

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    One thing you kinda have to wonder with a society THAT old, though... was the 26th Millennium even all that crisis-filled in the grand scheme of things? I mean, the Pius Dea period lasted a thousand years. So did the "Dark Age" that climaxed in Ruusan and the rise of Darth Bane. The Sith straight-up sacked Coruscant multiple times (Sheev's coup looks almost bloodless by comparison). And who knows how many long-forgotten wars never documented in any source the Republic probably had to fight in all that time?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    In my archaeology class I always have a debate session on the Elgin Marbles, which is exactly this issue. The Elgin Marbles were the figures on the Parthenon in Greece, which were stolen by a British dude (Elgin) in the early 1800s. They're in the British Museum now. Britain won't give them back because, as one politician defended it when Greece tried to get them back in the 1990s, "the volatile Greeks might easily start hurling bombs around again". Because England hasn't had anyone throwing bombs at it in the last 200 years.

The other issue is that the people who are most closely related to the creators of these objects often don't get to see them. Their most famous pieces of cultural heritage -- sometimes the only pieces -- are in other countries they can't afford to travel to.