main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Arcs that were not

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 16, 2014.

Tags:
?

Which unfinished story arcs would like to see fully animated in the future?

1. Darth Maul – Son of Dathomir

37.8%
  2. The Bounty Hunters arc

40.1%
  3. Ahsoka arc 1 – Ahsoka's Walkabout

21.8%
  4. The Yoda/Kashyyyk arc

23.7%
  5. Mon Cala arc

15.3%
  6. Ahsoka arc 2 – Ahsoka's Return to the Jedi

28.6%
  7. Dark Disciple

32.1%
  8. Rex and R2-D2 arc

17.6%
  9. The Siege of Mandalore

53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Also to add onto this I highly doubt that Vong arc is canon either or ever considered canon in the new canon

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    Yeah, like I said, that's cool with me. This past fall I rewatched the series in chronological order for the first time. I would just add those arcs into the viewing order. I guess the marketing and Dave's remarks combined have not inspired much confidence that releasing the remaining material in animated form is something they're presently interested in doing. But hopefully that can change, particularly if the revival on Disney+ gets good viewership and reception from fans / critics. I imagine the latter is fairly likely and we can certainly hope for the former.

3. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I totally agree with Son of Dathomir being the penultimate chapter in Mauls story and having it as just a comic isn’t good enough and it is just a cheap drop out for a franchise as big as Star Wars.

It’s true Ventress, Cad Bane and Boba are characters the audience were made to be heavily invested in and we deserve to see how those stories would have ended and without those arcs the series will always be incomplete. Aurra Sing and Mother Talzin were popular characters too and they would have both shown up.

Also TCW is the only Star Wars tv series that gave villains their own arcs which is another reason I really want Son of Dathomir, Dark Disciple and the Cad Bane/Boba arc, those kind of stories have been dropped since TCW has been cancelled with the other tv shows having a rather basic good vs evil formula.

It seems silly that they are calling it the final season and they are trying to close off the possibility of them making more. There are ways around it though for instance they could make some of these arcs into animated films similar to how DC/WB make a few each year and make a profit.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I in my head am calling season 7 "The Final Act". Because TCW was an anthology series told out of order anyway I don't see it that big of a deal to come back and adapt unused arcs even after we get the official ending for this series. Besides that, I think Filoni is an anime fan seeing how he channel Macross. He knows what an OVA is. Son of Dathomir, Dark Disciple, and Cad Bane/Boba would be prime candidates for this.

5. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    The poster already calls it "The Final Season" which I think is a nod to that. Same as how the Netflix episodes were labeled "The Lost Missions" on the DVD/BR release to acknowledge that they weren't a conclusion so much as a bunch of loose ends. Regardless of when any future arcs are produced OOU, this season is the narrative climax for the series. Season numbers are just an artifact of TV production - they don't carry that much weight.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Snafu55 likes this.
  6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I've been down this road before with Filoni himself saying one thing and another thing happens. I'll take "The Final Season" as being what it is for now. If enough people consume this they'll come back and reconsider what's been left on the table particularly once we get to an anniversary year. In my head its "The Final Act".

Darkslayer and SeparatistFan like this.
  7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I do admit we need to have the Son of Dathomir made for animation, the comic book 4 -issue series is a cop out. It would be great if we got the lost mission 2 and got the bounty hunter arc, and several others. I just feel like Filoni is really that invested in it.I think they want this to be the end, but it shouldn't. The bounty hunter arc for some reason they don't want to release and the wookie/yoda arc appears to be something special. I wound have rather seen that arc come out than the Mortis arc and Force Priestesses arc. Though there was suppose to be some sort of force element in that Yoda/Wookie episode.

8. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Dark Disciple could be a 2+ hour movie.

tatooinesandworm and Darkslayer like this.
  9. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm still amazed that it was ever under consideration in the first place. Honestly, while I don't want to see a single TCW story left in the dark, I long ago resigned myself to never seeing it and it's the arc I would be the least disappointed about not getting.

10. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Absolutely this.

They seem to have invested quite a bit of money in the new animation for TWC. It looks epic. I refuse to believe that Disney greenlit that money just for 12 episodes.

Dark disciple and Son if Dathomir would be epic in animation form. I’m still holding out hope for more TCW.

11. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    They surely could do this as standalone films like TCW did start. Maybe S. 7 is a test about how it will sell. And if it nets, we'll get some more.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Since most of the arcs were 4 episodes, standalone 75 minute movies for Disney+ would be the perfect way to make em. Dave wouldn't even have to be extensively involved, he could just oversee them in an executive capacity to make sure they follow the original vision.

13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Heck, with some of the arcs they'd need barely any oversight at all, since they were already only two steps away from being complete (full animation and music scoring). Add in a couple more that only need voice acting (for lines already written), and it's relatively trivial compared to any new stories. They've already invested a large time and money sink into the animatic level episodes that it seems wasteful to leave so much by the wayside.

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Can you post your summary of how the remaining seasons were supposed to pan out under George, and how far along each arc was to refresh me please? :)

Jedi Knight Fett and darkspine10 like this.
  15. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Certainly can :) Some of these outlines are guesses, since Cartoon Network's 'broadcast seasons' differed from production seasons. For a number of these stories we know prod. codes from concept art, while additionally we have confirmation that Bad Batch was meant to kick off Season 7. Also note that no music was composed for any episodes past Sacrifice, since that is usually one of the last steps to ensure picture timings are accurate. Assuming a rough correlation of prod codes to airing, we get something like this:

So, Season 6 has 13 episodes that were completed by the time of cancellation.

The next arc in production order after the Yoda arc was the Tatooine Cad Bane and Boba Bounty Hunter arc. Despite being next along and having a completed set of animatics, the arc has been confirmed as missing some voice acting. Since a lot of the bounty hunter characters had unique VAs, it could be someone like Simon Pegg as Dengar for example. So you'd only need to get probably one or two actors in to do their lines.

Next is the Utapau arc, which does has full voice acting, and is currently the only full set of released animatics that isn't being completed in this new Disney+ lineup. Music consists of a temp track from older episodes (same case with Bad Batch).

I expect that Season 6 would probably end at that point, with 21 episodes, the odd number due to scheduling hiccups caused by exchanging the Clovis arc with Young Jedi, the latter of which was originally meant to be air as an independent pilot.

Bad Batch was not the next in prod. order, but was confirmed at some point as being the Season 7 opener. This makes sense, since it's a pretty clone-centric episode. This ep is the same state as Utapau, with complete VAs and animatic (note again how the cast mostly consists of only the main leads, Anakin, Obi-Wan, the Clones, droids and Corey Burton's characters).

The previous arc in prod order, Ahsoka's Walkabout would probably air second in the order. This arc had full animatics, but the voice acting is spotty. We can see this via one of the released clips, which does not yet feature Ashley Eckstein's voice lines, using a temp voice instead.

Next is the first half of Dark Disciple (up to the end of the failed attempt to rescue Vos from Serenno). This has finished animatics, but voice acting is again uncertain. I'm not even sure if the actors even started on this arc, since the few lines in the clips seem to all be temps. [Sidenote, but I've also made rough guesses at the divisions between individual eps in the arc, since unlike SOD the novel adaptation doesn't delineate the parts. I can elaborate separately if anyone's interested :)]

The animatics for the Kashyyyk arc were in production when the show was cancelled, so are incomplete. It's unclear whether this means an episode was left in limbo, or whether production stopped with one or more full eps that work hadn't started on. Voice acting seems unlikely because of this.

Son of Dathomir was yet to reach the animatic stage of the production pipeline, but is the last arc along with model sheets, so assets were probably in production. The Stygeon prison would seem to be one such completed asset, give its hasty re-purposing along with Anaxes base for the first season of Rebels. Possibly also the asteroid base from ep 3 of the arc, though that may have only been created specifically during the production of Rebels Season 3. This would most likely be the Broadcast Season 7 finale, leaving it with 20 episodes.

The remaining six arcs (24 episodes) were part of Production Season 7. For these we only have concept sketches and storyboards, with no model sheets or animatics. These arcs were:

The Rex/R2 'Top Gun' syle arc
    The second half of Ventress and Vos' story
    The Yuuzhan Vong arc
    The Sith Shrine beneath the temple arc
    The Padme on Mon Cala arc
    The Siege of Mandalore

It's been confirmed that scripts exist for all of these episodes, and work on model sheets and assets for the Rex/R2 arc would probably have started shortly, probably simultaneously with Son of Dathomir's animatic production. So, of the Disney+ season, two of the arcs are adapting existing animatics, while the third is from scratch in that regard. There also seem to be changes to Ahsoka's Walkabout arc, such as the replacement of Nyx, and possibly other elements to smooth out references and make it so the Sith Shrine arc is ignored.

Also do note that it is always possible though unlikely for episodes to change majorly between animatic and final animation. This includes deleting completed scenes, as the TCW blurays often show, but we do have one example where the script was massively altered at this stage: Sphere of Influence. Included on the Season 3 bluray are many of the original animatic clips from the old draft of the episode, which was a prequel, not a sequel to Trespass, as it eventually turned out, including the appearance of Chairman Cho. Additionally, parts of the episode set on a Trade Federation battelship in the final ep were originally meant to take place on Pantora itself. So it's not completely out of the question for arcs that had reached animatic stage to be reworked before the final animation process, though given the advanced demands of 4 episodes arcs I'd imagine this was kept to a minimum where possible to avoid extra work and cost.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For a full list with assumed prod. codes, see this spreadsheet, though it's not been updated for the new season:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OKv_iIcZYE/pubhtml?gid=1190296768&single=true

This collection compiles the majority of concept art, including the ones used to source prod. codes for specific episodes:

And this video contains all clips from Season 6 and 7 animatics (other than Utapau and Bad Batch):

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Never gonna give up hope of seeing all of this at some point. I've read this before but just seeing it again just reminds me of how mind-blowing the full series is.

(Yes I would be interested in where you think the DD episode splits are)

17. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    First, a reminder of the episode titles revealed thanks to the novel, as well as corresponding prod. codes for the first arc:

613. Lethal Trackdown
    614. The Mission
    615. Conspirators
    616. Dark Disciple

7x1. Saving Vos part 1
    7x2. Saving Vos part 2
    7x3. Traitor
    7x4. The Path

(Also it will forever be hilarious that TCW had episodes named both Conspiracy and Conspirators :p)

The Season 7 half of the arc is much easier to divide up thanks to the handy concept art that's been released. First up, note that the Mahran and Desh were embellishments added to the story by Christie Golden, and were not part of the original scripts or animatics. It's unknown if there was some spur causing the council to target him for assassination specifically in the original.

Lethal Trackdown: Vos is tasked with recruiting Ventress to help Assassinate Dooku. This episode includes the released clip of Vos and Ventress tackling the same bounty in Pantora. The episode ends with Ventres begrudgingly allowing Vos to tag along with her in the Banshee. The following concept art has prod. codes matching this episode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Episode 2 of the arc, The Mission only has a single released piece of concept art to go on, but I think it's a relatively simple case:
    [​IMG]

This shows the outskirts of the mining village on Mustafar. I think it seems obvious that the entirety of this episode could be given over to the rescue mission against the Black Sun. Possibly ending with Vos revealing his allegiance to Ventress and them arriving on Dathomir, though that's uncertain.

Conspirators seems like it would have been an episode of two halves, starting on Dathomir and concluding with the trip to Raxus for Dooku's party. The scene with Vos encountering the snake, as well as clips from the party would all seem to be from this third ep. That the party was in this ep specifically is confirmed by this:
    [​IMG]

Likely ended with Vos being captured and Ventress' escape. I suspect Vos' lengthy encounter with 'the sleeper' may be a novel addition, due to timing reasons and the fact that no concept art of it has ever surfaced to my knowledge.

Dark Disciple would have ended Season 7's part of the story, involving Ventress teaming up with Boba's crew to bust Vos out. The long Dooku vs. Bounty Hunters clip is evidence this was part of Season 7. The fact that early concept art showing Vos as featuring in Son of Dathomir backs this up, he would have given in and become Dooku's apprentice by that point (I suspect his role in SOD was cut for reasons of both time and to conceal the whole 'Admrial Enigma' plotline that cropped up).

In the Season 8 half of the arc it becomes a bit trickier to divide up the parts. It stands to reason that both Saving Vos parts (possibly one was a working title, since TCW never used the naming scheme of part 1 and 2 before) involved the mission to extract. I reckon the midway point was when they reached Vos, kind of like how infiltrating a base in the Bad Batch ended with the discovery of Echo, then the next part was the extraction from that situation.

Traitor seems to straightforwardly consist of the various missions that Vos goes on after being reunited with the Jedi that 'go wrong' due to his manipulations, all the while Ventress has her concerns and meets up with Obi-Wan occasionally.

The Path would seem to be everything on and around Christophsis, including Vos' attempt to double-bluff Dooku into revealing Sidious' identity/location, their wounded trek across the crystal plains, and Ventress' final death.

So, in Season 7, other than the Dathomir section which could either go as the second half of The Mission or first half of Conspirators, everything seems quite cut and dry, while Season 8 is somewhat murkier, but still possible to divide up in a decent enough fashion :)

18. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I wish they didn’t make the Sith Shrine and Mon Cala Arc non-canon.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    As we get closer and closer to the shows air date we are going to find out a lot about these episodes and the real future of the remaining episodes as well as the rationale for releasing the ones that they are the releasing.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  20. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    There definitely had to be some kind of inciting incident. I've always assumed that Christie Golden merely expanded on what was already there to make the genocide all the more impactful.

21. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Thought of a quick correction for this post, specifically this section:
    I forgot that Season 6 had The Disappeared Parts 1 and 2, so I was wrong about this and it might have not just been a working title :)

Darkslayer and cwustudent like this.
  22. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    Btw @darkspine10, you stated that the first episode of the Dark Disciple arc was called Lethal Trackdown. I think you meant Lethal Alliance. Lethal Trackdown was the name of the S2 Finale ;)

23. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Ah, thanks for correcting another obvious error on my part :p

cwustudent and daniel brown like this.
  24. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    They did?

25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, assumptions going into the Disney+ season are that Ahsoka's Walkabout and the Siege will be streamlined to avoid referencing the Sith Shrine arc, since that's not being completed. Stuff like Ahsoka saying it's 'been a long time' since she last saw Anakin could be evidence of the arc's removal.

It's still currently speculation, and it's still possible that room for the arc will be left open. Also note that certain vague elements of the arc were repurposed for use in Rebels, such as the Ahsoka/Palps confrontation and possibly some of the archaeological aspects of the World Between Worlds two-parter, thought that by no means removes the possibility of seeing the original arc someday.

As for the Mon Cala arc, I believe it was mentioned that Nossor Ri's death as part of that story has been retconned by Sequel Era comics featuring the character still alive.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Completely separate from all of that, there's something I just noticed in the concept art for the Sith Shrine arc, with Ahsoka's Season 8 design being referenced as 'reflecting the Mortis trilogy outfit', implying some connection back to that arc as well:
    [​IMG]

This would predate any of the Rebels connections with Morai and the Daughter or World Between Worlds, interesting to learn those sorts of links were being planned for a long time.