main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Arcs that were not

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 16, 2014.

Tags:
?

Which unfinished story arcs would like to see fully animated in the future?

1. Darth Maul – Son of Dathomir

37.8%
  2. The Bounty Hunters arc

40.1%
  3. Ahsoka arc 1 – Ahsoka's Walkabout

21.8%
  4. The Yoda/Kashyyyk arc

23.7%
  5. Mon Cala arc

15.3%
  6. Ahsoka arc 2 – Ahsoka's Return to the Jedi

28.6%
  7. Dark Disciple

32.1%
  8. Rex and R2-D2 arc

17.6%
  9. The Siege of Mandalore

53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    I seriously doubt we will get anything TCW after 2024. Not for a long, long time - if ever. Seems like they are saying goodbye to that era, especially since The Bad Batch Season 3 is going to be the final season. They have High Republic and Sequel stuff to care about, and I don't see them caring about finishing what's not theirs.

Honestly, 15th anniversary panel was super disappointing. The same old stories Dave and the crew told every year for the last 15 years, and TOTJ S2 I guess. I really think at this point it is safe to let go of any hope for those arcs coming to life. Hell, we can't even get an artbook for TCW S2-6, like we had for the movie and S1. Anyway, I'd better stop ranting.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  2. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Hypothetically, if that arc were produced now, could it fit between Walkabout and Siege of Mandalore? I can't remember how DD, SOD, Walkabout and SOM interconnect.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I was looking back at which options I picked for the poll and honestly I still really wish we got that one more Rex focused batch of episodes. Would have been interesting to see Rex and R2 interact. They barely did during the show.

What really confuses me is why they don’t finish the bounty hunter arc. Comic, book or otherwise. There is a market there for it. And they have referenced it twice once in Bad batch with Cad’s metal plate and just the final episode of Book of Boba was one big reference to it.

I don’t think we’ll ever see it. But it’s the arc most referenced that we have never seen animated. Or he’ll seen at all.

4. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    @JKF,
    The Good Batch. :)

I guess they will do something with the end of the Bounty Hunter arc. Perhaps something even greater than you now imagine.

@cwustudent ,
    I don't know Walkabout yet, but I see no direct connection between DD, SOD and SOM at all. It would make sense though to see DD and SOM as the arc of decay for Dooku as a character. In DD he closes the Ventress chapter once and for all in a sore triumph, in SOD he's in jeopardy to get rescued in the last second, but in RotS, there'll be no escape for the count this time.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  5. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Ah, makes sense now. Thank you.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I know there hasn't been any news; But I'm hoping after Lucasfilm Animation completes The Bad Batch with season 3 that perhaps they could return to finish some more of the remaining Clone Wars arcs. Bad Batch seems to have progressed pretty smoothly even with Dave Filoni stepping back into a creator / executive producer role.

I feel like the team could handle completing the necessary Clone Wars arcs at this point even with his moving more and more into live action.

The Bad Batch has produced 32 episodes already with presumably 16 more in season 3 - all in a relatively short timespan. By my estimation (and personal preference), there ae 24 episodes of TCW in various stages of development which are really necessary to complete the story. It seems like it wouldn't be nearly as big of a commitment as The Bad Batch (48 episodes produced from scratch over 3 - 4 years). 24 episodes, all written, and more than half pretty far along in production (Utapau, Bounty Hunters, Dark Disciple I, and Kashyyyk). Son of Dathomir and Dark Disciple II are really the two arcs furthest away from completion. It seems like within a 2 year timeframe or so they could complete the rest of TCW.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It really is common sense to finish off one of George's final gifts to the franchise (the others being Underworld and his version of the ST). Bad Batch has made it obvious the animation team is great - the stories are already written so Dave can still focus on live action.

Complete the Clone Wars!

8. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    What's the possible state of the remaining scripts? Not sure about voiceover work. Finish Crystal Crisis!

Source

Jedi Master Chuck likes this.
  9. Jedi Master Chuck

Mar 19, 2013
    I agree completely. I know Dave's shift into live action was a big factor in determining which arcs were finished and how many episodes we got in season 7, but now that the animation team has Bad Batch under their belts it really seems like they should be up to the task of completing those Clone Wars arcs. As you said, it's the last piece of Star Wars with which George Lucas was directly involved - and thus truly deserves to see the light of day. Not to mention, some of those arcs are essential to later events in the story. Dark Disciple completes Ventress' arc in The Clone Wars. Son of Dathomir fills a really critical hole in Maul's story within TCW. He was captured in season 5 and free in season 7. Bounty Hunters completes Boba's TCW era arc as well. Kashyyyk fills us in on Yoda's good relations with the Wookies, gives the Bad Batch more development, and apparently continues Yoda's spiritual journey from season 6. Utapau is the only time we see Anakin directly grappling with the aftermath of Ahsoka's departure and is the last arc entirely centered on Obi-Wan and Anakin.

As much as I'd love to see the other 4 unfinished arcs (Mon Cala, Rex / R2, Yuuzhan Vong, Sith Temple), the 24 episodes mentioned here are what I'd consider critical to the narrative as a whole. We don't know much about the Mon Cala arc, but in theory it would've given Padme one more time in the spotlight. Fortunately she was given a lead role in the Clovis arc from season 6, so she did have some development in the last couple seasons. As far as I'm aware we don't really know too much about the Mono Cala arc aside from the setting and general subject matter. I really do wish we got to see some elements of Padme's scrapped subplot from the Revenge of the Sith deleted scenes - so if the Padme / Mon Cala arc was supposed to delve into the early rumblings of the Rebel Alliance, I would move it into the essential category.

Rex and R2 fortunately both get plenty of screen time both throughout the Clone Wars and afterward, so as fun as a flight academy arc sounds, it's certainly not a narrative lynchpin. I'd still love to see it, but I can also live without it.

The Sith Temple arc seems very difficult to fit into canon at this point. Ahsoka's Walkabout and Siege of Mandalore had a few rewrites for season 7 which exclude the possibility of Ahsoka returning to work with the Jedi in any meaningful way after leaving the Order. Plus elements of the clash against Palapatine on the other side of a barrier seem to have been repurposed for the World Between Worlds scenes in Rebels season 4. A Sith Temple below the Jedi Temple on Coruscant is an inherently interesting concept. It's actually something I had written a fanfic about many years ago while TCW was still airing on Cartoon Network, before we learned about the arc post cancelation. My idea for it was completely different from what it seems George and Dave were imagining, so I'm not saying it's exactly the same, but it's just such an interesting idea given the multi-tiered structure of Coruscant. In any case, there's nothing saying this concept needs to be explored in TCW era. I could see whatever elements of the arc we haven't seen in canon yet could be repurposed for another story down the line - maybe even involving Luke and Ahsoka visiting the ruins of the Temple in the post-RotJ era; especially interesting knowing that Palpatine is still alive until IX.

As for the Yuuzhan Vong, I really want to know how George Lucas imagined them in-canon. I also really wish we had gotten this arc before the sale so that their status in canon would have already been established instead of now existing in a strange limbo. As cool as the X-Files vibe sounds, there's nothing about this concept which requires the story be explored during the Clone Wars era. I really do hope we see George's canon version of the Yuuzhan Vong eventually, but the story could be repurposed for a post-Clone Wars era.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy if they finished everything (or even everything except the Sith Shrine / Sith Temple arc which seems to be incompatible at this point), but the 24 episodes (Utapau, Bounty Hunters, Son of Dathomir, Dark Disciple, Kashyyyk) are so important to the story of TCW and Star Wars as a whole that I just can't imagine them remaining incomplete forever.

10. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I'd love to see those arcs, but after season 7 and siege of mandalore giving clone wars such a great ending, it would feel strange to tack a couple more arcs on years later . (to me at least)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    Jedi Master Chuck likes this.
  11. Jedi Master Chuck

Mar 19, 2013
    I can understand that perspective, but they can also market them as 'lost missions', a term they had originally used for season 6. Each arc could also be made as a standalone sort of story. Tales of the Jedi has opened the door to interject animated stories at different points in the timeline I think.

I an understand wanting Siege of Mandalore to be the las piece of Clone Wars media released chronologically, but I don't know if it's worth compromising the completion of the story for that. Siege of Mandalore is still chronologically the last event in The Clone Wars. The last episode to be officially released is just a piece of trivia a few years down the line. By which I mean to say, let's say they release these missing arcs. 10 years down the line, people won't think of them as 'the end of Clone Wars'; They'll think of them as lost missions. Siege of Mandalore will still be remembered as the ending. I don't think releasing these missing arcs last will in any way compromise that.

12. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    If they were presented as something other that another season of clone wars I'd be all for that.

13. Jedi Master Chuck

Mar 19, 2013
    I would just throw the 'LOST MISSIONS' label on them; I think it's a clear enough descriptor of things that happened in between seasons. They could even put them on a separate tab on the home screen of Disney+ if it helps.

Ideally, they could release a full 4K disc set when all is said and done.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    It's such a no-brainer that I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. These stories keep getting referenced in other materials too.

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I've always felt they should be reworked as animated movies.

16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    While this is what I'd prefer they do, I find it unlikely because that would mean they couldn't milk it for longer to keep subs on Disney+

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  17. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Do a monthly release. And don't just stop with those unfinished arcs. There are a lot of stories that could be told about other people doing other things.

18. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    It is kind of a tradition at this point to air Clone Wars out of order, you know? ;) Plus given the lawsuits against Lucasfilm and Disney and Disney's financial troubles, they kind of need the money from selling more of something customers want. Clone Wars. That is assuming that they have enough liquid capital to finish and sell the episodes.

Right now, it's easier for me to enjoy Clone Wars than the OT, since they're farther away from any Kennedy Trilogy stink. So if Disney announced that they were for example releasing a remastered Ewok Adventures or the Clone Wars Lost Missions. Even though I was originally more a fan or the OT & EU. I'd go for more Clone Wars hands down.

It's a relatively easy sell. A proven product, with a market that wants more and some work/money has already been spent on the episodes.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Speaking of finishing episodes, I've just remembered that they have an entire season of Detours episodes they are sitting on. If Disney ever releases them on DVD or Blu-ray, I'll pay for that. It is probably the last pre-Disney Star Wars content that's not been made available yet.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    Same here. There was also Underworld. I'm not sure if this was the series that the had shot several episodes and/or seasons of, or if there's yet another unreleased tv series out there. After reading your link about the real ST, I'd also love to see that, too.

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Underworld only had scripts and concept art done. Unfortunately it never went into actual production. But I'd take a book with those scripts and concepts. Same with the real sequel trilogy.

However, Detours had almost 40 episodes completely finished. I misspoke earlier, that's not an entire season. It's at least two (could be more depending on how they split it). Disney simply refuses to make them available.

22. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    Yeah, it's been a while. Underworld was one of the tv series George was working on. Some of it was filmed, since there are clips of it available to watch.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, that was just test footage showcasing the setting of the series and the tech that was going to be used to realize virtual sets.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Some footage leaked like a year or two ago. Not one of the jokes made me laugh.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Okay, they made me laugh, and even if it didn't I still want it available.