main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Arm-Chair Quaterback League- Improvment ideas for your team!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Do you know the exact moves your team should execute to make the jump from the bubble to the tittle game?

How would you pull your team out of their 3 season long slump?

Do you have great trade ideas you would love to see happen?

What does your team need to improve?

Come voice your positive opinion on changes your team or other teams need to make!

Discuss the implications of your ideas with other fans from around the JC!

Any sports are welcome to be discussed, and any positive ideas or opinions welcome to be voiced.

Welcome to the Arm-Chair Quaterback sancutary!

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    The Cardinals need an offensive line.

That's it.

They'd be 6-3 or 7-2 if right now if they had a decent offensive line.

3. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    How should they aquire said offensive line?

Trades?

Draft?

Free Agents?

Arg!! I already hit OPPM on this board!

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Colts would like a new defense for Christmas. The one that played against the Pats looked pretty good, but I'm not sure where they've gone. Thank you in advance Santa!

5. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    The 49ers need to fire their owner.

What? Damn! :mad:

6. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Spend.

Spend, spend, spend, spend, spend.

Spend.

7. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    What do you guys think about 3-4, or 4-3 defenses in U.S.A Football?

Should your team convert?

8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    The Astros have to go out and get a big name bat if they want to be a playoff contender next season. They need to focus on getting Alfonso Soriano (please, don't even try to get A-Rod), and worry about their pitching later. They had a .255 team batting average last season, with Berkman finishing off at .315. He can't do it all by himself, he has to have someone protecting him.

But, I can't ignore the fact that we'll be losing Clemens and likely Pettite, plus the fact that we need to get rid of Lidge while he's still remotely valuable. But we have quite a few youngsters with great potential on the mound.

Yup. 2007 will be a rebuilding season for the 'Stros.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The 49ers need to fire their owner.

Great idea. A few other teams could use that advice as well. Titans, perhaps.

Is this thread supposed to be football oriented or more general?

10. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    More in general...I just know more about football.

I would like to see the Giants make an attempt at signing Soriano...or at least Barry Zito. We need a big name.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Going through old threads, I find this:

I would like to see the Giants make an attempt at signing Soriano...or at least Barry Zito. We need a big name.

(Yes, I just quoted the last line above).

Great advice! How's Zito worked out?

:p

12. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    lol @ Prenn

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The Indians could use a time machine, and some HGH

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Honestly, with the Braves, I don't know what to say they need. A power-hitting (probably corner/LF) outfielder, since Frenchy's been struggling... but its not like there are really any huge gaping holes. The pitching staff's been more than decimated by injury (John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Rafael Soriano, Peter Moylan, Mike Gonzalez (at least he's finally back), Manny Accosta, not to mention Mike Hampton) and yet has still performed well, for the most part.

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Steelers are going to need an O-line.

And the Pirates are in desperate need of good pitching. No more starts to somebody with an ERA over 10. [face_plain]

16. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Their infield has been top-notch (though they'll probably need a replacement for Teixeria) and while everyone would dearly love pitching, the current staff has done pretty well and they have some good looking pitchers in the minors. The trade they're undoubtedly cooking up for Teixeria will probably net them some very nice prospects, too. What the Braves need ASAP is a much better outfield, which would hopefully arrive before the good players they have now are not so good anymore. All three starters are awful, but Francoeur has been inexcusably bad, and pretty much always has been. His career OPS is 40 points below the average corner outfielder, and is most comparable to the normal range for a middle infielder. A home run every 27 at-bats and one walk every five games is not a good combination. I'd wait until he goes on a hot streak and unload him at the first opportunity.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    The difficulty of unloading Frenchy is that he is a big-time fan favorite, as a local boy, and that significantly affects ticket sales.

His defense/arm have been good enough to excuse him some plate struggles, though obviously not as much as he has been. Still, if they can get somebody good in LF (preferably young), I'd be willing to be patient with him. I'd rather have a corner outfielder than a center fielder, though, since Jordan Schafer is still being targeted as the CF of the future (though he may not be quite ready at the beginning of next season).

I'm really not too worried about the pitching staff, with Hudson there to anchor the staff and good youngsters Jair Jurrjens (who, while he probably won't win it, is at least a RoY candidate) and Jo-Jo Reyes. Jorge Campillo's been pretty good as a starter this year, though I question how long that will last.

And as I've said elsewhere, I've finally reached the "trade Tex, try to recoop what we gave up for him" point.

18. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Popularity can be dangerous. For instance, I can't stand Ryan Howard and would get rid of him for a box of doughnuts, but the fans in Philly probably wouldn't go for that.

As far as Frenchy goes, the defense is nice, but he needs to cut the strikeouts down to under 100, up the walks to around 80, and hit more home runs. The simple fact of the matter is that the large majority of a corner outfielder's value is in his bat, and Frenchy isn't even average with it.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I wish popularity would have ruled in Cleveland. Omar at Shortstop could be the veteran presence they've needed. :(

20. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Inty, do you need a hug?[:D]

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    What the Braves need ASAP is a much better outfield, which would hopefully arrive before the good players they have now are not so good anymore. All three starters are awful, but Francoeur has been inexcusably bad

Well, the Tex trade did at least provide a 1B for the next few years, but this part is still going to be hard to solve. Gregor Blanco's been playing decently, but not great by any means. Frenchy's still struggling, and the only bright spot is that Mark Kotsay's at least been getting on base a good bit, if without any power to speak of.

Omar Infante's been playing well of late, and he's actually been playing a bit in LF, and may continue to do so now that Chipper's back, which doesn't leave much room in the IF. But he's not a long-term answer there by any means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.