main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist ~The Art of an Outrider~

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Outrider, Aug 2, 2009.

1. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    He rather looks like Aragorn from LotR as a Jedi.

Nice finished work. [face_peace]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Beautiful work of art and nice details.=D==D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I like the lightness of your pencil lines.

:D

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Hello everyone. Things are starting to ease up a bit for me and I hope to be a bit more frequent. There is always something in production. It was fun working creating Adrias and I am happy to hear that TheAdmiral is thrilled with how the final version turned out.

Much appreciated Jerjerrod-Lennox :D I started that around... November last year. I've been on and off cause of projects and other matters. It's great to see him finished and I have a few ideas for him to be expanded upon.

Hi XCell! Thank you and welcome. :) It does look a bit like Aragorn or one of the sons of Denethor. It be pretty cool... and destructive, to see Gimli with a lightsaber.

Thank you for your kind words Earlybird-obi-wan. I can't wait to show the other pieces I have been working on. :D

AzureAngel2, you got me smiling when you said that you like the lightness of the lines :). During Visual Arts at high school, one of my teachers always complained that my pencil work is always too faint, when it looked just the right balance to me. Kinda cringe at one time they went over one of my works with a darker pencil and lost the impact of it. I never let that faze me and I kept doing what I do.

Thank you Black-Dog. I do have another Nebula scene on the way. It has been storyboarded and hopefully be more impressive.

Battle over Xinaghar
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/BattleOverXinaghar.jpg]

"...as he reached the rim of the Venator, the massive ship was struck by several Ion blasts..."
    - excerpt from Part 3 of Call of Honour: Arctic Peril

This artwork was inspired by a great sequence from TheAdmiral's fanfic which I am enjoying reading. This composition was a breath of fresh air to return to vehicles and to do something new. It was a lot of fun to use the techniques I picked up over my previous character drawings. I hope to be able to do more scenes :). "Time only knows" what the future holds... and the Empress of Time. Hmmm... maybe I should do an artwork based on the Prince of Persia series.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great action scene and yes a great addition to a very enjoyable story.

Doing more of those?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope so. I have to see how things shape up as I love to do more.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    On the ninth of March... boards time which would be the tenth of March my time, it would be exactly eight years since I've been on these forums.... I don't know if I should feel old.... :confused:

Anyhow, I want to do something special leading up to the day. Maybe posting some works that I have done over the years and alsp some new ones I am currently working on. I guess it would make sense to start this at the beginning of the month but I lost track of time and have been busy. Waiting another two years to do it on the tenth anniversary is too long to wait. :p

To make up for the lost days, I plan to post two artworks a day leading up to the big day. On the actual day, is there anything in particular you would like to see? Advance Previews? Ships? Characters? Animals?

I'll start with two drawings that I did back in 2000 on characters from my #1 favourite animated Disney movie: The Lion King

Simba
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/Simba0015.jpg]

What can I say about Simba apart from him being one of my all time favourite animated characters and that he is a lion? As a cub, he was voiced by a young Johnathan Taylor Thomas who was in Home Improvements with Tim Allen. For those that are not familiar with the film... you just have to see it. Here is one of my favourite moments and Hans Zimmer's instrumental score is moving. I strongly recommend seeing this classic.

Timon
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/Timon0014.jpg]
    Timon the carefree, wisecracking Meerkat is voiced by Nathan Lane. He makes up one half of a duo, the other half is a kindhearted but clumsy warthog named Pumbaa, voiced by Erine Sabella.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Here is a special request for me to showcase this artwork on behalf of my dear friend "Skyguy". :)

Contemplative Anakin Skywalker
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/ContemplativeAnakin.jpg]

Comments and critiques are welcome. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    Wonderful artworks as always CO, I love your attention to detail.:)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    wonderful those of the Lion King and Anakin=D==D=

Love to see more characters:)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you both Jerjerrod-Lennox and Earlybird-obi-wan! I promise that I will show more characters over the next few days. I have included a few in this update.

Todays update will cover those legendary species that are also the main stars in one of my favourite series: Jurassic Park

I have been facinated by dinosaurs since early primary school and started drawing them around then too. There is something about them that is "so astonishing that they'll capture the imagination of the entire planet." - John Hammond.

Tyrannosaurus Rex
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/T-Rex.jpg]

The 'Tyrant King'. They reigned during the Cretaceous Period and commonly unearthed in the North American continent. Magnificient predators. This artwork is an early preview as it is still being worked on. One of many things to come.

'Velociraptor' Antirrhopus
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/Raptor0001.jpg]

Pack hunter, very lethal. The 'Velociraptor' Antirrhopus as featured in Michael Crichton's novels and in the films by Steven Spielberg were later reclassified as the Deinonychus Antirrhopus. It is probably inaccurate as there are evidence of most 'Raptors' having protofeathers now. The "true" Velociraptors are quite small and covered in feathers and found in Mongolia among the Protoceratops. This drawing was made about five years ago.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/Spinosaur0230.jpg]

Discovered in the Sahara, the first skeleton discovered was destroyed in an Allied bombing run during World War II. This creature is probably know for its appearance in Jurassic Park III. I say no more about that film as in my opinion it steamrolled over the balance the previous two films had and the way the animals were portrayed. This piece I done back in 2001, a few months before the release of that film.

Iguanodon
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/Iguanodon0233.jpg]

The Iguanodon is one of my favourite herbivores. I guess it is to do with how peaceful they are. This sketch was left incomplete as I did it while waiting for the classroom to open up for the afternoon class two years ago and didn't get around to finishing it.

Dryosaur
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/Dryo.jpg]

The small chirpy Dryosaur is a swift herbivore from the Jurassic Period. Featured in one of the Jurassic Park games (Operation Genesis) and another peaceful animal. This was actually done as an animated gif experiment which didn't quite work out as it kept fading and flickering between frame transitions. It would bob up and down and blink. I thought I share a frame from it.

[u][b]The Land Before Time[/b][/u]
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/LBT0024.jpg]

Littlefoot the Apatosaur, Cera the Triceratops, Ducky the Parasaurolophus, Spike the Stegosaur and Petrie the Pteranodon. This was done two years ago as a gift for one of my friends. Cera is a bit more grown up here than in the series.

[b]Adult Simba[/b]
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Gallery/Simba0232.jpg]

I went through my "vault" yesterday and some how this drawing missed out on being scanned when I did a lot of scanning the other year. An older Simba from The Lion King which was done around 2000 - 2002.

I know that this is a huge update. Before I finish up, I would like to recommend checking out an artist by the name of James Gurney. He writes and illustrates the Dinotopia books and among other things and they are just wonderful. You can find his blog on the official [link=http://dinotopia.com/]Dinotopia[/link] site.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Now i can see where you got your love for Dynosaur drawings. They are stunning and waiting to see the T-rex finished.=D==D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    :) I'm looking forward to finishing it and contemplating whether to have colour or not. I hope to have an update soon on it.

My update for today will have to wait for tomorrow but I promise that it will be very special indeed.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I would like to dedicate this update to "Skyguy", who is great friend of mine. Thank you :).

Some of you know that Ahsoka is one of my favourite characters. She is a great character and I deeply enjoy writing her in The Galaxy At War RPG. This update has artworks I made of an older and a young Ahsoka.

Ahsoka Tano - older
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/BTAE.png]

Being several years after RotS in an AU, she has become more grown up and mature. She is about nineteen in this image and is based on a moment that happened near the end of her recent trek (The link should take you to the page for the post posted on: 6/21/09 12:47am. It continues in the series of joint posts with Pashatemur.) Ahsoka is determined to achieve her goal regardless of who stands in her way. I am still working on this piece. Here is a coloured version:

[image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/CATCSPre.jpg]

Ahsoka Tano- younger
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Title%20Cards/PadawanAhsoka.jpg]

This is Ahsoka as how she is during the Clone Wars. This one is a fun one to do and a nice challenge to bring her to life in a realistic rendition.

I hope you'll enjoy. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    You are bringing her to life with the fine pencils.

Magnificent art

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005
    As I know with you and Ahsoka, you two go together like two peas in a pod;)

Your colur drawing of her is one of your best i've seen, an excellent masterpiece.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Earlybird-obi-wan, thank you so much! I put a lot of time and care into her.

Jerjerrod Lennox, that means a lot as I had technical issues with the CMM and wasn't sure how it would turn out.

Today is the day marking my eight years on these forums. I have another special update... I would like to share some character pieces:

Sabe Delba
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Title%20Cards/SabeDelbacopy.jpg]

This is for TheMaidofOrleans who plays Queen Sabe Amidala II, the current elected ruler of the Naboo in The Galaxy At War RPG.

Scyther Vectis
    [image=http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/Corellian_Outrider/Title%20Cards/ScytherVectiscopy.jpg]

This is for Jerjerrod-Lennox who plays Captain Scyther Vectis, the feistiest Star Destroyer Captain in the galaxy in The Galaxy At War RPG.

It was fun and a pleasure to do these works. I do have more in development of other characters. Ahsoka and Adrias are also part of The Galaxy At War but I had already posted Ahsoka yesterday and Adrias a few weeks ago. Maybe sometime down the track I should put an index on my front page and have categories.

Thank you all again, enjoy! :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Very good and coming to life.

I love the poses and the fine pencils.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005
    You've definatly brought both chracters to life CO, Scyther would definatly approve of your work.;)

Once again, splendid job.:)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much :)

Jerjerrod-Lennox, I'm glad to hear Scyther approves :). Hopefully I'll get to run into her sometime down the track. ;)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    This is why I find teaching art so utterly hard and am happy just to teach languages at present. Everybody finds his or her own way doing art.

Anyway, your latest works are stunning, especially the dinosaurs, a certain female jedi knight and Simba.

=D=

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    AzureAngel2, I can imagine it would be extremely difficult when it comes to marking projects as well. With art being subjective (there are three other views which for the life of me can't remember at this time) and each person sees what they want to see and have their own opinion of what it should be about which makes it that much tougher.

Also thank you for the kind words :).

Do you sometimes get new art ideas in your head of something new to do when you have a few pieces that needs completing already? It's kinda tempting to start the new ones before getting to finish the current ones.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    With watercolours or oil-paintings I can work on more pieces.
    They have to dry and I get a new piece to work on.
    Ideas are put on paper or board as I am writing stories. My current story has now 45 pieces of art and 5 are just ideas and sketches.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Yepp, I have. Fortunatly I use mediums that have to dry. So I can quickly jump to the next painting.

Sometimes I work quick and sometimes ideas need more time to ripe.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It sounds like that is one of the upsides to painting and gives you a bit more freedom. I keep a sketch book with me most of the time but its usually when I don't have it that something comes to mind. When I'm working on something, I have at least three other things I want to do as well. If only I have more arms :p.

I guess discipline helps with getting things done than having a series of unfinished works laying about.

AzureAngel2 likes this.