main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

https://www.starwars.com/news/journey-to-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-publishing-program
    Publisher: Abrams
    Author: Phil Szostak
    Art: Lucasfilm Art Department
    Format: Art of
    Description: The official behind-the-scenes concept, production, and post-production art for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Go inside the creative process behind the most anticipated film of the century. The latest trilogy in the Star Wars film series brings the Skywalker Saga to a close and The Art of The Rise of Skywalker will take readers into the creative process behind visualizing the epic worlds, creatures, characters, costumes, weapons and vehicles of the landmark conclusion more than 40 years in the making.
    On-sale: 12/20/2019

2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I love that cover! So Star Wars visits Stranger Things Upside Down, the GFFA version!!!

mes520 likes this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Looks like Rey is on Mustarfar.

4. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Awesome cover I have the episode 7 and 8 books will have to get my hands on this one.

5. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The cover speaks to me "who is this girl and what does she intend to accomplish in Episode 9?" It raises questions.

6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Christian Alzmann is the artist.

7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Beautiful cover!

8. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    It really is a nice cover.

Ren then Rey then both across the three books is neat as well.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Love it!!!!!

10. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    just more on that cover, which is awesome, but I think we're close to seeing a shot like that in the film, if only because the art of TFA and art of Last Jedi books had images that were the in the movie.

13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

Apparently the book is already out in South Korea.

Senpezeco likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK has March 31 as the release date.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The Korean version doesn't have any Palpatine/Exegol concept art. I wonder if the English version will have them. [face_thinking]

Vialco likes this.
  16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yeah, I'm hoping that's why they delayed the release date. The level of anti-spoiler paranoia of the Disney-era Art books (and visual guides, for that matter) is a bit of a letdown, compared to how much we got in previous generations.

tatooinesandworm and Vialco like this.
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    So gutted they jettisoned the Oracle. Would have been so wacky and visually great.

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I use to be excited for this these type of things but they are so bland compared to what we got before that I don't even bother with it.

Gharlane, tatooinesandworm and Vialco like this.
  19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    they fear of putting anything in them that reveals BTS troubles and may hurt their image... which already is terrible and anything they can put in only validates leakers and leaks anyway.

I even wondered if they crafted some photorealistic concept arts after the movie only to fit what is on screen for the book only and sell it as concept.

Gharlane and Supreme Leader Woke like this.
  20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    You're not wrong on any of that, but if I recall correctly all of McQuarrie's "pre-production paintings" for ROTJ were done after the fact, so it's not really a new thing. Just easier to do and slightly more disingenuous in these cases.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Coruscant?! :eek:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Kylo was gonna Galen Marek it.

23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I doubt it. Palpatine was a last minute thing as confirmed by Trevorrow. Exegol was basically the Geonosis arena in darker lighting. I wouldn't be surprised if the production was so rushed that proper concept art for Exegol isn't available or not really fit for publication.

Supreme Leader Woke and Vialco like this.
  24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its always depressing seeing the things that didn't make it into the sequels. They've got decent artists who are wasted on awful writers and directors.

I've been seeing discussions about designs that were probably meant to be star dreadnoughts, several of which looked pretty cool. Of course, being the sequels, they instead went with the most unimaginative and nostalgia-baiting design they possibly could.

We know they had some imaginative Star Destroyer designs, we saw some of them even as far back as in the TFA art book. Even the Resurgent design isn't that bad, but RoS actually mostly ignored even that (the Star Destroyer of their era) in favor of the Xyston.

Too bad the Marvel comics can't bother to use some of these designs but they instead just rip off fan designs from the Internet in their laziness.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul was not in the ART OF SOLO either, his concept art came out much later on the net.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Vialco likes this.