main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Artist's Cantina: A Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Hey, I like the wallpaper. And isn't stuff like this why there's a thing called a social thread?

I've taken a random pic from my photo album and sight traced a boy. It actually doesn't look too bad. I'll add it to my thread soon to get opinions on the thing. :)

2. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Exactly, it isn't their fault no one else chimed in on their wallpaper chat ;) Yeah, that last modification of the Dooku background works very nicely!

I love making custom wallpaper, too. I've made a couple of sets of calendar wallpapers-- one for each month, build a subtle calendar of the month into the image and have the image have something to do with the month. If you remember to save it in Photoshop or something instead of freezing it as a .jpg, you can change it to fit the next year or another month later, too :D

3. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    *runs away with tail between legs*

4. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    :p

I wish these creative urges didn't come every six months or so; I could maintain a thread in here. (My old one is locked.)

If you remember to save it in Photoshop or something instead of freezing it as a .jpg, you can change it to fit the next year or another month later, too

Sometimes I forget to do that. :oops:

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    And with that in mind, let me remind everybody that anyone is welcomed to join in here whenever they please. That's one of the things I want to strive for in this forum - a strong community. I hope you guys agree. :)

Rocie: Maybe I'm just drawing a blank here, but what do you mean by sight tracing? Do you mean freehand or actually tracing? Either way, post away. I would love to see what you've done. ;)

ShrunkenJedi: Whoa, that sounds really cool, man. :D Any chance that you would be able to share it with us?

EDIT: Aww...don't feel discouraged, Daughter_Of_TheForce. You're free to post your work in here. Whenever the urge returns, you know where to find us. But I hope you can stick around some. :)

Oh, and if you want to post your new stuff in your old thread, just let me know. I can unlock it and bring it back to the top for you. :)

6. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    That's cool. :)

What's the general feeling around here about digital art vs. traditionally created art? I feel funny calling what I do art.

7. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    DoTF-- yeah, I forget to save it in a layered format, too, which is why I added the comment :p

As for my wallpapers, this is a new set (did it as a present for an online friend, the person who's getting it doesn't know they're getting them yet... [face_mischief] But I don't think they hang around the fanart board.):
    January
    February
    March
    April
    May]
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

I have some old ones I did for myself, but I don't have them in a way I can really show at the moment.

8. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Digital is art to me just as much as hand drawn.

And what I mean by sight tracing is looking at it and drawing it the best that I can. You probably have a different name for it. For all I know, you probably consider it drawing, since it is my hand controling the pencil without something under it to trace, but I call it sight tracing.

BTW, that second Dooku thing does look great to me. But then, I'm no artist. ;)

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I take that as a yes, you would like the thread upped? If so, I'll get right on it. :)

As for digital vs. traditional art - there's not really a dividing line. There hasn't really been a problem between the two thus far. It's all accepted as art around here. ;)

EDIT: Okay, Rocie, now I got ya! :)

10. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
  11. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Digital/handdrawn--Yeah, what HS29 said, either takes talent, and some digital is practically hand-drawn. :D It's all good; I do both.

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, D_OTF, I'll get right on it! :D

ShrunkenJedi: Holy crap! Those are really awesome! I'm sure you're friend will have a blast with them! I really LOVE the Indy ones! [face_love]

13. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
  14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
  15. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    :D [face_love] Thanks so much, Han-- or rather, Steph! It was a blast to do. Some of it I'd used before as my own personal desktop :p

16. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    Hmm, look like I can't edit over a mod edit. Oh, well. HS, could you take the date out the thread title?

17. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I added a link to the latest attempt to my thread. Check it out and tell me what you think, please.

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Sure thing. :) Did you want the current date in there instead?

Thanks for the heads up, Rocie! :)

19. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    Nah, I'd have to bug you to change the date with every update. Please take it out.

20. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Hi new mod! Nice wallpapers, too.

21. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Hi new mod! Nice wallpapers, too.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, I just saw this on BBC News. I guess you could look at it as fan art for financial reward..

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    *waves to SkyWookiee* :)

Interesting article you found there, LAJ_FETT. I wonder what that Jabba was made out of. From the image in the article, it's hard to tell, but that is one awesome piece! That goes to show that doing Star Wars Fan Art can get you far! ;)

24. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    *raises hand*

I have a question...

*waits a while*

Why isn't Han up in the mod block in this forum?

25. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    good question. I was wondering that, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.