main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Artist's Cantina: A Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden_One

Golden_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    Congrats Jaba!

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Thanks very much, and congrats on the post number... Many more to come, yes...

3. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Too bad, too. I've really only been posting for a few months. I joined in September, stayed at the IGN SW boards for a while, but wasted all 1300 posts there are boring discussions.

Now I have a new family :D

4. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
  5. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    A while back, I think someone brought up the topic of favorite or most inspirational artists. Going back to that for just a moment... ;)

I am a HUGE fan of Jay Anacleto. He's a comic book artist like no other. He actually draws out the pencil sketches with remarkable detail, including shading and everything. If you haven't seen his work, here is a wonderful example. It's the cover of the comic book "Aria", Issue 0 (the preview comic). It was his way of illustrating that led me to consider a career in the comic book field.

6. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Hmmm. Seems Avalon comics is not working at the moment... :(

So, I have more comic book questions. Maybe I should save this for when we have an "Inspirations" thread. But, admittedly, I am horribly ignorant when it comes to the comic world, and I'd like to remedy that. I have the Comic adaption of the Heir to the Empire. Pretty cool style, but then the other two Thrawn books they switched to a more conservative style - I got the impression people didn't like the first one so they switched. Pencils & Inks by Olivier Vatine & Fred Blanchard. Does anyone know anything else these guys have done? Am I showing my ignorance that I like these guys and don't know any better?

Please help this poor clueless fool! ;)
    ~Baroness

7. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    *knows nothing about comics* :)

8. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Man, I absolutely LOVED the "Heir To The Empire" adaption. The other two, not so much.

Olivier Vatine's style was quirky and (deliciously) cartoony. I have a feeling it was a bit too loose for the mainstream look they eventually went with.

Oh well.

-Otis

9. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Eddy Biukovic rocked. Too bad he died. :(

I used to be a gigantic comic fan... Joe Maduriera (sp?) and Chris Bachalo used to be great too...

10. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Okay, I'll admit it. I'm in over my head. The only other name I recognized in all the posts is Chris Bachalo (didn't he work on the X-Men comics?).

Avalon comics must be FINALLY updating their site. It's been down for a while now.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey, what's up everyone? I just want to say this is a nice thread you got going here...and since all I do is go on the forums, draw, watch or do anything Star Wars eat and sleep...I figured I'd join in on the fun.

12. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    I would love to see Frank Miller's version of SW...that would be insane!

13. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    What did/does Miller draw?

And Jabachile, I just have to ask... Did you name yourself after the sound the bad guys make on Jedi Power Battles??? :) It's been bugging me for a while, and I can't get that electronic voice out of my head!!! Hey put that straight jacket away! No... no wait!

14. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Actually, Frank Miller HAS done a Star Wars piece.

It was a pin-ip for a Topps Trading Card series in the early 90s' It was an image of Luke and Vader's duel from Empire.

I'll try to find it.

-Otis

15. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    ooo - so many comic book guys to look up. Too bad I don't have endless piles of cash to go buy lots and lots of comics instead of trying to look at this stuff online.

So I was watching MTV's Cribs (ok, I admit, I love that show - love to see the Rock Stars and their tacky taste decorating their homes!) and Sebastion Bach was showing off his Comic Book collection. He was showing the comic with the first ever appearance by Spiderman and said it was worth about $25,000. Egads, Spidey!

Hey Han Solo 29! So are you all done with finals, SATs and all that crap???? ;)

16. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Otis- Howabout I do a mangled Episode III Anakin á lá "Hunt for the Dark Knight" cover?

17. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Well here's the incomplete Frank Miller Anakin:

Disclaimer: Quite bloody, if you are sensitive to that, better not look ;) It'll actually probably be bloodier in final form...

http://www.angelfire.com/art/jabachile7/images/millertimeinc.jpg

18. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    um.... ouch!

<It'll actually probably be bloodier in final form... >
    What else are you going to do?

19. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Maybe add on some more streaks, maybe a couple of more bones popping out...is it bloody enought as it is? ;)

I'll post the pic from FM's cover...it doesn' t have as much blood, but it's crazy.

EDIT: Here's the Frank Miller cover it's loosely based on:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/jabachile7/images/Miller.jpg

20. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    It's crazy bloody already, but I say go nuts! Add more streaks and stuff, and just push it! :D

21. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Lol, maybe some guts coming out...that'd be nuts.

22. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Guts are good! :D

I was thinking, while looking at your drawing, that there is no way I could draw any of that blood and guts type stuff. It's just not in me. So I thought I'd give it a go - Baroness-style.

But now my server isn't showing anything. It's making me really cranky. Grrr.

I'll email it to ya instead. hee hee hee....
    ~Baroness

23. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    I've been working up a design for a painting (real this time) of how I've always pictured Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting over the pit in Episode 3. I better do it before E3 comes out and changes my vision forever.

So... that'll be done soon. Hopefully I can get it done tomorrow, I'm not sure how much access to piant I will have this summer, as I'll be out of school...

24. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Hey everyone! I wanted to let you all know that I'm not abstaining from the forums--and especially the Weekly Art Challenge--at least not on purpose!

I'm taking the fam on vacation tomorrow, so I'll be away for a bit. When I get back, I hope to have plenty of new drawings to download for y'all!! I hope. ;)

Anyway, see you all in about a week!!!

25. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Have a great time Cheveyo!

See ya when ya get back
    ~Baroness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.