main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    DarthMaul431 I hate those stereotypes too. Sometimes when I tell people I'm from Canada they go 'Canada, brrr must be cold?". I live in Southern Ontario which is just as far south as Northern California! We get at least 5 full months of warm sunny weather every year! They also assume we live in Igloos and that we have Polar bears roaming the streets! That only happened once and it turned out to be only a bunny, a big bunny mind you but still, just a bunny.

Also I like to draw people and I have DSL as well with no problems to report. :D

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Bunnies roaming the streets being mistaken for polar bears? LOL!! That's too funny!

Hmm...a mixed media class? Sounds like a mandatory class that I'd suffer through too. I'm not a 3D person and found everything related to that particular subject torture.

Reckless_Corellian likes this.
  3. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I hated High School Art, I felt too confined, too limited in what I could and couldn't do. I couldn't stand my teacher either. I remember for my final grade senior year I got a C. :D

Once I got into college, I found I had a ton more freedom to express myself! I had some really cool teachers that would always push me to do more. They hardly ever put limits on things, and I got to really grow and evolve in my drawings. Those classes made art fun for me again.

Anybody learning to draw the body, I strongly suggest taking a figure drawing class. It really helps you understand the way the body moves and it's a joy to have model that can pose for you. If you can't take one, whenever you're out, draw the people around you. I used to sketch people in my campus quad. (For the guys, it's also a nice way to meet cute girls, ask them if you can draw them. Just don't Napoleon Dynamite it!) :D

Also, believe it or not I learned most of my figure drawing from books. Anatomy books and one great book called "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way!" I know what you're thinking, but they break down how to draw the human form so easy that when I did take my figure drawing class, I was way ahead of most of the class! That book also helps understand perspective and gives good tips on shadows and lights as well as inking. Thank you John Buscema! ;)

I mostly work in pencil, but when I do use other mediums, I like to use chalk or oil pastels! I'm a big fan of getting your fingers dirty, either by shading or blending colors together. For some reason, working with a paint brush I always felt disconnected from my work.

Okay, I'll stop rambling and give someone else a chance! :)

4. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    I hated High School Art, I felt too confined, too limited in what I could and couldn't do. I couldn't stand my teacher either.

You have no idea....

5. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    DarthZemog I know what you mean about books! I've learn't more from books about anatomy and drawing than my art teacher could ever teach me!

I can't wait to get on to art college, only another year to go! Its not fair that I get stuck in the art class full of people who don't care about art and only about having paint fights every lesson. My art teacher is constantly away with the fairies and the only ever comments on my work are, 'thats really good!' or 'wow!' and never anything constructive, but I still only ever get B's.
    Another art teacher told me its cuz my project doesn't have enough 'flow' to it. But I don't want Georgio DeChirico to influence my work, I don't like him! [face_frustrated]

Thats the main reason I come on these sties, the people here actually help me! :D

6. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    So I uninstalled Internet Optimizer, which I thought was precluding me from uploading files onto Photobucket. But when I tried this time, it just tried to open the page for several minutes, then I got the page cannot be opened.... [face_frustrated] Any suggestions?

Bs are good.... Last time I checked, I had a 29 because I don't do projects. :p

7. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Corellian_chic242 Make sure the file size isn't too big and also very important make sure the color mode of the images are RGB and not CMYK. Another problem with photobucket is it doesn't like funny characters in the image name, eg.
    -*& ...try a simple one word name.

8. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    Well, it loaded this time; it must have been the quotes in the title.

Unfortunately, all of my pieces are a about two times too long, so they get chopped.... *sighs and goes to resize them all*

9. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    Yay! I finally have an art thread. :D Check it out if you dare.... But be nice. :p

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Esira, that's what's nice about art classes in college(and an art school in general). You're surrounded by people who have the same love of art as you do and you have instructors who give you LOTS of helpful comments and critiques. Sure, it's also a lot of work, but so far it's really worth it. I can't wait till next semester when I finally start getting into my major! :D

And I'm glad you finally got Photobucket working, corellian_chic. I have to go check out what you have to offer. ;)

11. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Anatomy For Artists - Thanks to Otis Frampton, who posted this link in the original thread.

12. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    And what would that major be, HS?

*goes to check out the anatomy thread*

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo, very good link, SkyWookiee. Thanks for digging that up. :)

As for my major - that would be illustration. I'm aiming at getting into either commercial illustration(books, posters etc.) or animation. We'll see what happens. ;)

14. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    Very cool. :)

My goal is to be a conceptual artist; either for film or computer games. I'm sure you'd figured this out already, HS.... ;) But what major should I go into for that? Someone told me graphic design, but.... THat doesn't seem right.

Another idea I had was going to Fashion Institute of Techology and studying fashion design, accessory design, footwear design, costume design, etc. But I'm wondering if this is geared more towards merchandizing.... *sigh* :(

*beats the boards, willing them to work right*

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    No, graphic design would definitely be the wrong choice for concept design. Graphic design doesn't involve very much drawing and is more layout oriented. You work more on computers and designing layouts for catalogs and that type of stuff. If anything, I think concept work would fall under illustration or something similar to that. Illustration covers a wide range of fields and I know one of the classes that fall in the illustration category that my school offers is film concept/illlustration.

As for fashion design - I think that's also in a seperate category. Although, I think you're right about it having to be more involved with merchandising. One of my friends went into this field and she's currently working for one of those home shopping channels.

16. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Ah yes, Graphic Design... The only art class I ever failed (and I mean fail with a Capital FLUNK!) Although I should note that I aced the high school version of the course: 2D design. In college, though, it was another story.

At the time, I was in the middle of acquiring a BFA in Fine Art with directed emphasis in Illustration. 2 years into my university experience, the college whose name I won't mention (it's a northern Arizona university [face_mischief]) "downsized" it's BFA degree programs in lieu of heavier budgeting toward such academic powerhouses as football. My degree was discontinued and my advisor was nixed. I transferred my credits to a Graphic Design emphasis and wa sintroduced to me new advisor (himself a graphic designer in the field). As luck would have it, I had to take Graphic Design that semester, and who else would be teaching it but my very own advisor.

I'll never forget his speech to us that first day. In it, and among other things, he told us that we were not artists until we had an art degree hanging on the wall.

Suffice to say, he and I didn't see eye to eye (we didn't even see eye to navel). Every assignment was turned in, and every grade was an F (for not following complete direction and taking artistic license). Of course, I suppose he was trying to teach us that as a graphic designer we are at the mercy of the desires of our clients. In my opinion, though, he was expecting from humans the work of unthinking, untalented computer programs.

This relationship of course was not exactly conducive to product advising when it came time to enroll for the following semester. He went to great lengths to tell me that I was in the wrong field.

I left the university after the following semester (and a bout with the dean, who sided with Ken the advisor).

The lesson--graphic design is not illustration, and some people are too pompous to be teaching at college level. ;)

...but I'm not bitter... [face_whistling]

I agree with HS. Concept Design is definitely an illustration emphasis. Graphic Design is your ticket if you want to design an format magazine ads, educational booklets, pamphlets, etc etc.

For fashion, you're looking at Illustration still, but with a background in marketing and fashion trends. My mom wanted to be a fashion designer, but skipped college and instead went into publishing (go figure).

Me? I found my niche in childrens story books, I think.

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Sorry to hear that, Cheveyo. Unfortunately, I had a similar experience last year(my first year in college). Mine was in 3D design, though, not 2D. The professor was pretty similar too. Graded hard and every assignment I turned in ended up being a D or an F. I did fail the class and when I went to my advisor - well, let's just say some people shouldn't be advisors. I ended up getting fed up with the school(Kutztown University of PA) and transferred to where I am now. Then again, KU didn't offer the major I wanted and I was in a field I didn't want to be in(Art Education). I think I'm finally satisfied with the school I'm at and my major. So, I'm pretty much good to go! :)

18. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Yikes! I see a trend! I'm glad to hear it all worked out in the end for you. Fate's funny that way, eh? ;)

Who among us is either in or preparing to enter into the art field professionally? Are you looking to get into or have you completed already university or college-level training? If so, what area of expertise are you in or looking at?

I'm wondering if it would be helpful for the posters here to list some ideas for actual art careers (I wish I'd seen such a list my senior year of high school! I was told my options were Graphic Design, animation, or CAD if I wanted good paying employment). there is so much more than that in the real world, though.

19. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    In it, and among other things, he told us that we were not artists until we had an art degree hanging on the wall.

[face_plain] I have absolutely nothing to say to that.... And I'm really embarrassed that it happened at an Arizona university. [face_blush] I'm guessing you live in Az, Chev?

Ah. Well.... That's kind of a good thing, actually. FIT has rather cheap out of state, but I'd be better off instate with our severely limited funds.... So I'll look around to see who has good illustration teachers. ;) Thanks, HS. :)

20. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Born and raised in AZ, now living out-of-state...waaaaay out. ;)

In-state vs. out-of-state tuition is incredible, isn't it!!

21. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    Yeah, I really wish the difference wasn't so huge; I don't want to spend a year lounging around Tucson with my gramma to be eligable for instate. [face_plain]

Awesome! :D You are even cooler than I thought you were! :p I was actually born in Las Vegas and lived in NV for five years, and Arizona only three, but I still consider myself and Arizonan. I don't suppose you're from Tucson? :)

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Who among us is either in or preparing to enter into the art field professionally? Are you looking to get into or have you completed already university or college-level training? If so, what area of expertise are you in or looking at?

I know I've expressed this many times already, but I'd do it once again since the question was brought up. Yes, I plan on entering the art field professionally some day. I'm currently in my second year in college and I'm aiming at a major in illustration.

Hmm...corellian_chic, I have to agree with you about that professor's comment. I don't believe that at all. That hit an all time low. Cheveyo, I don't blame you. I probably would have been failing too if a professor said that to me.

23. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003

Well, I think I made this clear in my earlier posts, but I do plan on taking my art professionally; I would really enjoy being a conceptual artist. I am currently looking at colleges.... It's such a tedious process!

24. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I only have a 28.8 dial-up connection. :( A dial-up connection is like trying to drive down the Autobahn in a model T.

Right now I've just started college and am undecided on a major. I really want to learn how to Photoshop posters, dvd covers and anything film industry related. What would that career be, a Graphic Designer? Advertisement? Communications?

Any help here would be hot.

25. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Right now I've just started college and am undecided on a major. I really want to learn how to Photoshop posters, dvd covers and anything film industry related. What would that career be, a Graphic Designer? Advertisement? Communications?

Most likely, you're looking at a Graphic Design career, then. Advertising is a sub-category of Graphic Design (or is it the other way around??). In that <ahem> class, we did quite a bit of study on the anatomy of an ad. We even watched a video on the making of a car marketing campaign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.