main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I zoom in and work on my linework pretty diligently. Lots of small strokes. The tablet is going to pick up all your hand jitters, and I have shakiness, so I have to compensate. You're not going to be able to draw a single continuous line without it being shaky. So, it's best to draw lines in short strokes, as you have better control.

If I want to draw a nice curve, I use the Pen Tool.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Good point TrakNar, getting in close does help and you got me thinking of another factor. How is the resolution and DPI of the piece you are working with HanSolo29 ? The larger the canvas and the more zoomed out you have does tend to leave a shaky line.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Question: Any ideas for what activity we could do for the upcoming holidays? (Okay, that came out sounding a lil like HK-47)

In the past we did a roulette/secret santa type thing and on the 25th December a thread opens up to post the art work there for the person we got. Or we could make our own themed artwork to showcase.

Though, with the deadlines some of us have at the moment, would something more low key be appropriate? Maybe a thread to share the work in progress of what we are working on.

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That might be the best. I currently have only a few projects sitting around, one of them from this summer.

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I have several projects happening and more I want to start up too.

I do have a lil something planned for everyone here though just need to find the files from the archives. If I can't then I'll have to make do and create something new.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Inktober ate up a good solid chunk of my sketchbook, so I need a new one soon.

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Inktober? That sounds like great fun! What was the subject matter/tasks?

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Can anyone recommend a (relatively) inexpensive artist's stylus? I've been playing around with some of my sketches in a program called ArtRage on my iPad, and getting better results than I expected using a regular stylus, but it lacks a lot of finesse. Since I'm really just dabbling for fun, I doubt I can justify buying a Wacom tablet or anything like that. Thanks :)

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Heya Raissa Baiard

Are you after one the iPad? I haven't done tablet based art so I'm not sure about how they feel when used but I've seen Belkin and Targus both have a variation of stylus and thickness and they are about $12-18 AUD.

If for the computer…. I've only used Wacom and I know they have the smaller Bamboo range which is more cheaper than their other lines and are quite decent.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've used a Jot precision stylus on occasion. It takes a bit to get used to. Lately, I've just been using my usual stylus, which was a pen from a local day spa. I use Sketchbook Express on my iPad, and I zoom in so I can work on my linework. I've gotten some nice results.

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    How is everyone going? I've been attempting to catch up on my backlog or artworks and got a few pieces in production and nearing completion.

At the end of the week I'll get the WIP thread going started so we can share what we all been working on as a way to celebrate the upcoming holiday season.

Also, a heads up that Challenges will be returning. I have 3 different versions lined up. EUC, more thematic based and something new. Though if anyone is keen, I can get a short 1 month duration one started for December.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've hit a bit of an art block. Aside from random sketches, I haven't been working on anything.

13. Pauljwiz

Pauljwiz Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2014
    Interesting, always try to do a Christmas themed image but always bloody busy. Will try and make some time and contribute :)

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I drew a whole bunch today.

It was all erotica, but at least I drew stuff.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Been quite busy myself - I'm finally getting a chance to work on some more personal projects in-between commissions. I've been inspired by the teaser trailer, so I should hopefully have something up from that fairly soon...if all goes according to plan.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    As long as we are still exercising our creative muscles so it doesn't dull, that is the main thing.

Yeah, so much inspiration at the moment and not really free time to do much. Definitely inspired by the SW teaser and the Jurassic trailer but haven't started anything related to those just yet. Been alternating between characters, a vehicle and roughed out compositions to do landscapes.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Nothing exercises art muscles than drawing bodies in awkward and compromising positions! [face_laugh]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh boy, that take me back to those life drawing sessions.

Which medium are you working with? We were restricted to charcoal for those and you end up with streaks of it everywhere.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Just pencil. They're all line drawings, nothing special.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Ah k, still good exercises to do though.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    My gift to everyone came early... I painted a banner for our forum. It is to make this place a lil more like home till we are able to have individualised themes for each forum across the entire boards.

I do have plans for that space and to swap and change the banner through out the year…. whether a banner contest or the winners of upcoming challenges gets their works made into a banner for the duration of their awards… something to look forward to when we start the new year.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Eff this art block!

*flips drawing table*

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

*tidies everything back up for you*

Anything I can do to help?

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't know. I think this is something I need to conquer myself. I've been depressed for a while, and is week I found out that I've been walking around on a broken foot for five months, so I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon on Friday.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Arrhhh… you would have been in pain and discomfort for quite some time. That could have played a part in the artist block and how you've been feeling. I hope that Friday goes well and that you'll have a speedy recovery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.