main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ashes Series (Cricket: Australia Vs England)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darth_Asabrush, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Gillie, gone fer a duck! [face_dancing]

Panesar on fire. Where the hell was he for the last 2 tests. Oh yeah, not selected and sitting in the stands. [face_plain]

172 / 6

2. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    It does really beg the question who does pick the team because look what Panesar has done in 2 sessions.
    I said, I damn well said it, forget Gilo, play Panesar and you'll get Australia scurrying for cover.

And its pleasing to see Harmy getting better. The wicket of Ponting was massively important and props to Harmison for getting it.

Shame I'm off to work but hopefully I'll be able to watch highlights of the Monty Panesar show later ;)

(alas despite all this we're doomed to lose the ashes but I like shoving my "i told you so" in anyone's face right now)

3. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I'm in shock. I come home to find that Aus was bowled out for 244... It's just not thinkable. Monty the destroyer, this is not good. At least Hussey was solid and reliable.

Eng are 2/51 I am thinking this will be a short test match.

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I was surprised when I found out the amount of wickets, too.

Sounds like a good days play. I agree with Terrious, it's good to see Harmison back with a bit of form - good for the game, not us. :p And Panesar, oh Panesar you've proven yourself worthy of all the fuss I heard about you.

I heard the score when Symonds had just gotten out. Then and there I said to someone, rough quote "I bet Hussey will be not out at the end". And I picked it - fabulous stuff by Mr Cricket. He continues to blow our minds away.

I still think it is anyone's game. Collingwood is lucky to still be in after that drop at first slip. Clark has them all in trouble - looks to be shaping up into a good game!

5. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Tomorrow should be a great day of cricket for neutrals. Hopefully for the English too! Thrilling stuff today, just what you want from an Ashes match

6. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Agreed, and the funny thing is, this match is completely opposite to the brilliant second Ashes test. ;)

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I hate Perth matches - I have to wait until 3:30pm to start watching.

8. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Well, at least they're on daylight savings this year - one hour earlier than usual.

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Where is everyone? England is about to die for less than 200! [face_dancing]

9/197

All our bowlers are getting wickets. I knew this was still anyone's game. :D

Edit: Okay, so they got their 200. :p

All out for 215. Australian leads by 29 runs.

:D

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Last wicket partnership of around 40...England done for 215. Even honours I think.

Panesar did well...hit a couple of boundaries even. I was hoping for him to get a six, the crowd would've gone nuts :p

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Yep, the last wicket partnership was the highest one for England. o_O

I didn't actually see Panesar in action, but I noticed the three 4s he got. Why is he batting so low?

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Because usually he's not that impressive, I suppose.

Also, Langer clean bowled first ball of the innings! :eek:

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Langer; just heard! :eek:

14. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Balls swinging a mile.

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I reckon. I saw some of Hoggard's bowling; insane!

We're looking much better now. 1/82 :D

16. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    At the end of the day's play:

Aus 1/119, they lead by 148 runs

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I am glad that Hayden is finally scoring runs. Both he and Ponting are on 57 now. I actually hope they both get their century - Hayden so he's back in form; and Ponting so his record of scoring a century every test over the last 10 or so can continue with only one blemish. :p

18. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I guess we were all too transfixed by Gilly to post :p

Great hundreds by Hussey, Clarke and Gilchrist.

And we got Strauss in the first over :D

19. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Yeah but we shouldn't have got Strauss. Eng were unlucky in that instance.

20. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    This has to be the worst England have played for a long time. Our batting is attrocious, and somehow maybe Fletcher was right to want someone like Giles as extra insurance. You just have to look at the **** above him to realise why Fletcher was so adamant in the first 2 tests.

For all the talk of including Panesar in the team (and 8 wickets in a match prove his inclusion was needed), the one area we forgot about was the utter rubbish in our batting order. Now I can forgive Pieterson that kid gives his all and is never afraid of any opponent. And yeah Collingwood has shown he is worthy of being in the order, yet you look at the others and I have serious doubts.

But yet again its something about English teams, maybe British sport in general in that we don't seem to learn from our success. We sit back and think "job done". Whereas you look at the Aussies, they've fought back and proven their number 1 status despite their aging team and shown that winning is about more than just the ashes test series, its about becoming the best side in the world and then being ready to take the ashes back.

We have suffered the loss of two key aussie tormentors, Michael Vaughan as captain had a psyhcological edge and tactical nous that seems missing from this series, and Simon Jones, a player who gave the Aussie batsmen the worst time imaginable with his excellent reverse swing. Granted that might not of been a factor on Australian pitches but the effect of having Jonesy on the team sheet would have been a sure sign of worry to our Australian foes.
    Yet thats just a fantastical excuse.

As and England fan didn't suffer the years of following this whole ashes rivalry since I was 9 years old to see my England win them back to suddenley lose them without giving up a fight. *sigh*

21. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Panesar is pretty crap. I'm from India.. I've seen plenty of spinners and this guy doesn't compare to any of them.

22. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Wow!

Not much can be said. I was out all day and didn't see even a snippet of cricket. But boy, it sounds like it was insane! :D

An absolutely smashing score for a second innings; and declared, no less.

Gily [face_love]

23. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Bye bye Ashes, It was nice knowing you! I don't know why Fletcher thinks England can win it. We're hopeless under pressure.

I agree with the Simon Jones comment. Anderson and Mahmood, his 'replacments' have done nothing so far.

24. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    I'm sorry, WHAT? Have you seen any footage of this test? Panesar is turning and spinning the ball heaps considering he is a finger spinner and if he is indeed crap, how the hell did he mange to get five'fa in the first innings? Just coz you have Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble doesn't mean there are not any other brilliant spinners in first class Cricket.

Mahmood was a huge mistake.

25. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    What's Plunkett like then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.