main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bacon Challenge: results now posted! Come savour the silliness!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbacca

Bobbacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2003
    OOoo! This is my kind of insanity!

2. Solo_but_not_alone

Solo_but_not_alone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2004
    I had to jump in on this, I can not match what has been written so far, but I hope this is at least amusing

My entry, a The Saga entry featureing the tortured love of Anikan for that hot salty flesh.

"A Jedi Shall Not Know..."

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    If the story's about bacon, is it a plot bunny, or a plot pig?

Many thanks to the entrants so far for the high calibre of your work to date: these are some funny, funny stories!

An update on the timeline and plans for this challenge: all entries must be in, in their complete form by next Friday at noon (board time). You have until then to post and edit them and link them here. (For those already entered, you can edit till that time.)

I will be making in-depth replies to all of the threads, but for now, I gotta say I am thrilled by the level of participation in this silly idea, and I am hugely grateful to all of you for not forcing me to answer the request with my own story. :) Nothing I could have come up with would have come anywhere near what you guys threw together!

The "judging", (such as it is) will happen next weekend, with an awards ceremony to happen on Sunday night! Hope you all can make it!

amidalachick: Eagerly awaiting your entry! As Rani said, there is no length limit: just whatever you can write between now and next Friday. :)

Gina: Great work! Wonderful interpretation of the theme, and nice twist!

BlindMan: You sure don't disappoint! I laughed so hard...that was a priceless interpretation of Palpatine's character!

Bobacca: Glad to hear you like the idea: so where's your entry? ;)

Solo_but_not_alone: What a great story! I loved the idea of there being one thing that tempts all Jedi! :)

Keep your eyes on this thread for more entries soon!

*Derisa*

4. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
  5. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    Ha! This is all great. :)

I think I'll take on this challenge. This reminds me of when my friend and I made up 'Food Wars'.

We had Boba Fettuccini, the planet Broth, PIE fighters, Emperor Tangerine and a whole lot more.

Now I can't get this out of my head... must... write... Food Wars...

6. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    I might try something for this. The idea of recasting everyone as pigs reminds me of the old Spider-Ham comics. [face_pig]

7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    yay! More entrants!

GreatOne: That was great! I love the idea of a transformation in Leia caused by bacon! The last line was brill!

DarkDroid: Can't wait to read your entry: I have always liked your contributions to other challenges, and the whole Star Wars as food thing is one of my favourite parody ideas (see one of my earlier posts in this thread!)

Drabbo: (Nice colours, dude!) There was that pig transformation scene in another of GL's ouvre, Willow... strangely the idea fits. :D Go for it, dude. Have fun! Make sure to post your links here when you're done. I'm looking forward to reading it!

*Derisa*

8. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    OK, here it is! [face_pig] :D

http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/16306475/

9. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Okay, I've posted "Pork Trimmings: Cold Shoulder" to my drabbles thread. [Link in signature.]

10. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    amidalachick: great start: loved the second post! Don't stop now!

Drabbo: Your stuff is so easy to read: you pack so much into so few words! And your stuff usually has these little twists in it: this one was no exception! Very funny: "Go to the library..."

Only six days left in the Challenge, folks: anyone have another contribution?

*Derisa*

11. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Thanks, DO. I might come up with a couple more; the "Pork Trimmings" part of the title was added in case I make a series of porcine drabbles.

EDIT: I've now done a second one in the same thread.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
  13. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Well, I couldn't help but write something on this topic. Please go and tell me what's wrong with it, so I can fix it...:D

Changing Sides: Chewie's Story

14. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    I've posted a third "Pork Trimmings" drabble, a prequel starring Oba-Con Kenobi.

15. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks everyone, the stories are great. This is just to let everyone know, the deadline has officially passed for entries, so we'll be looking over all the stories and posting up results (with pretty pretty e prizes on Sunday evening! Thank you to all the entries for your hard work and silliness!

*Derisa*

16. PresidentKang

PresidentKang Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2004
    so we'll be looking over all the stories and posting up results (with pretty pretty e prizes on Sunday evening!

not to be annyoing but tick tock tick tock goes the clock.

maybe I fell through a timewarp...

17. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    No, you didn't, Kang I'll get this up tonight! :) Thanks for the reminder, it's been a week. :D

*Derisa*

18. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    First of all, I wanted to say a great big thank you to everyone who participated in and supported this Challenge. I have never giggled so much as when reading all these very funny stories. We have a few winners to announce, but I?d like to say that I think every reader won with this crop of challenge entries, as they were all hilariously funny, and great takes on the theme of bacon.

I was hugely impressed by the number and caliber of entries, and I have to say, your willingness to get a little silly with your writing displays some of the best things about fan fiction here on the JC.

Especial thanks to Fletcher Skittles for inspiring this Challenge, and to Rani Veko for helping me go through all the stories and make some very tough decisions. Furthermore, several readers did their best to promote the Challenge, encouraging friends to read and respond to entries, and in some cases, to give it a try themselves, so thank you to all of them as well. I hope you all had fun, although I doubt anyone had as much fun as I did. :)

[color=purple][b][u]The Entries![/b][/u][/color]

There were twelve stories entered, ranging in size from one hundred word drabbles to multi-part stories, from romances to action-adventures, and even a mystery!

In order of their entering: the Challenge was answered by the following:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/16241416/?0][b]Bacon Madness![/b][/link], by [b]PresidentKang[/b]

[i]A short story featuring the [u]Young Jedi Knights[/u] era Luke Skywalker and his niece and nephew, Jaina and Jacen Solo. (You don't need to be familiar with those novels to enjoy this story.) Master Luke spends some time unable to say anything but a certain word and Jaina and Jacen set out to find out why. Certain Douglas Adams aspects to this story, and a special guest appearance of Miss Piggy, and a famous movie star. This was the only story in the Challenge to attempt to address bacon?s inherent absence from the GFFA.[/i]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16242469&replies=0][b]Bacon,. Sweet is Thy Name[/b][/link] by [b]VaderLVR64[/b]

[i]A vignette that details in first person the terrible need that has arisen in Obi-Wan Kenobi. This story is the first hint we have that bacon is one of the greatest forces in the Galaxy.[/i]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/16247812/?][b]The Mission[/b][/link], by [b]Gina[/b]

[i]A very pregnant Amidala awaits her Jedi husband, and reprooves him when he fails in a detail of his most recent, vital mission. With a careful blend of real tension and clever dialogue, this story captures the reader immediately, and doesn?t let go till you are laughing at the final predicament.[/i]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Stories--Classic_JC_Board_(Reply-Only)/b10016/5525042/p17/?401][b]Six Degrees of Revan Bacon[/b][/link], by [b]BlindMan[/b]

[i]An entry by one of my favourite fan fiction authors, BlindMan's story is an account of the seductive lure of the Dark Side, featuring an unusual perspective of Palpatine. A growing trend in the entries that bacon may be inherently dangerous to the Galaxy.[/i]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16286240&replies=0][b]A Jedi Shall Not Know...[/b][/link] by [b]Solo_but_not_alone[/b].

[i]Destined to be the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker struggles against the temptation for something that holds much danger for all Jedi. Funny, and self-referential, after the fashion of Lemony Snicket.[/i]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/16299292/?0][b]Leia Does Bacon[/b][/link] by [b]GreatOne[/b]

[i]Witness Leia?s transformation from prissy Princess of Alderaan into a force of nature. Bacon appears to have that effect. Very funny Miss Piggy reference![/i]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/16306475/][b]Bringing Home the Bacon[/b][/link] by [b]amidalachick[/b]

[i]Anakin Skywalker?s nemesis was discovered at an early age, and that animosity haunts him into adulthood. A multi-pa

19. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    This was a fun thread! All these stories made me laugh! Thanks for thinking of such insanity! :p

20. Solo_but_not_alone

Solo_but_not_alone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2004

You like me! [face_love]
    You really li--- oh..what?
    *intent listing to the sequined gowned presenter*
    You really like bacon.:oops:

Thank you for the gracious fish basket, I will treasure it always! :D

Milk Duds anyone? I am burned out on the B-word [face_pig]now.

=D=Congratulations to all winner and all writers! I laughed myself silly and had to make 3, count them 3 runs to the bathroom to ensure the safety of my chair.

21. PresidentKang

PresidentKang Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2004
    Wow! Cool! Thank you so much. I'm kinda surprised I got best characterization because I've actually only read 1 NJO novel and 1 YJK novel. I have a sister around my age, so its easy to write for younger siblings - just throw in love and loving to annoy each other. I guess its universal.

I love the prizes, it reminds me of the old No-Prizes that they used to hand out in the letter pages of Marvel comics. :D 'Nuff said.

Everybody who loves bacon and wrote these stories rocks. Yes, even the vegetarians.

22. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Congrats to everyone!!! The Bacon stories were awesome!!!! And thanks for letting me be honorable mention at best Switcheroo!!!

I loved everyone's stories! Maybe we can have a reunion challenge or something next summer...:D

23. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Yay, I won one!

I do have one question though. Are the nametags for the character, or does "she" refer to me? o_O

...he?s a funny author, if somewhat warped.

Thanks for putting "somewhat" in there; I usually get that without the qualifier from, well, everybody. [I'll never understand how I won "Most Likely to Be Committed to an Asylum" when there was a cannibal in the running. 8-} ]

24. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003

Wow! Thank you. [face_blush] [face_blush]

This Challenge was so much fun, and everyone's stories were so hilarious!

Thanks for putting this Challenge together. :)

25. BlindMan

BlindMan Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    Hey, cool! :D

Thanks, folks! It was fun... :)

:) Blind Man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.