main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 1.04 - Cornered - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 20, 2021.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed May 28, 2021.
  1. 10

12.5%
  2. 9

21.9%
  3. 8

34.4%
  4. 7

14.1%
  5. 6

10.9%
  6. 5

3.1%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

3.1%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Had a great time with this one (and gave it a 9). It's a supply run, but it's also a modification to the ship, and in the midst of it is Omega wanting to get out and explore more. I was thinking the little venture in Replacements was good for her, at least overall, since she's been so sheltered -- so this episode is a good way to continue that and wind up in a chaotic situation. And though Omega knows now that Fennec is dangerous, I wonder if her behavior may shift a bit anyway.

As for Fennec herself, this is a great showing. The animators did really well carrying over her design, and her presence here is enhanced by the musical motif (which I don't think Göransson used in Mando) and some of the framing. I actually like the Wrecker KO as part of establishing her skill; there wasn't a big buildup to it and Fennec was sufficiently prepared. It fits with what Ming-Na Wen said (in the interview from December), that she's "always thinking." For Fennec's part going forward, I wonder about her response to Omega's offer, if that's just part of the ploy or if there's something genuine in it.

In any case, given the ending (which makes this the first episode to not end with the Batch), she'll be back and I'm excited for it!

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I want Sick Beatz Aqualish to be the next big cosplay sensation. Move over Wilrow Hood, you've got competition.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    OK episode. I liked Fennec's appearance, and I'm guessing it'll lead to more Boba, possibly including events that'll set up things for “The Book of Boba Fett.”

Also, I loved the little Lost in Space / Forbidden Planet robot.

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    8/10 - enjoyable episode and cool to see Fennec. Generally adding kids to a story doesn't go over all that well for me but I continue to really like Omega.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ah so the gal engaged in a little light fascist genocide in her early 20s, the wayward years of youth!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I gave this 8/10, good quality Star Wars television. None of the action looked absurd, and it all looked like something that could be in live action. Plus we're still left with mysteries to solve, we'll be wondering for some time who hired Fennec Shand.
    Sick Beatz Aqualish deserves a return someday! Seeing him was amusing, and wasn't annoying or distracting. I kept wondering "does the driver see all this happening behind him?"

7. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    I'm enjoying it but not loving it. I am bias though as I prefer live action Star Wars and was never really into any animated shows.

nilzo antonio and Sarge like this.
  8. Darth_Diealot

Darth_Diealot Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2020
    I loved this one and gave it a 9. Fennec is great. She incorporates a type of bounty hunter that I like. She takes no joy in killing, but does so without hesitation if she thinks that it is necessary to reach her objective. The Wrecker Fennec scene was great. He clearly underestimated her and got his a** handed to him pretty easily. And Omega really has a talent for getting herself and her friends into trouble.

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    One blink and miss it moment I've caught is at the beginning of the episode when Omega and the guys are at the console. When Tech gets up he seems to shove Omega's chair and make it turn toward him for a second for no apparent reason. We can only see the back of Tech's head but I can only imagine it was playful affection. It makes him the last to move out of frame. I think that's really cool and reinforces that he gets worried like the rest.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    8/10 for me. Fun episode, a really great chase scene and a great cameo by a returning character. I love when Star Wars gives us a really interesting metropolis to set the story in and this one was beautiful. It was also great to see the amount of diversity in the city. It wasn’t just Pantorans but humans and all sorts of aliens. That stood out to me. There was also just this ominous feeling of the crowds cheering the oncoming clones and Empire. Overall the show has done a great job of showing the Empire slowly but surely tightening its grip. The true menace of the Empire is just under the surface waiting to burst.

11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Pantora's design is what impressed me the most in this episode. The architecture, sunset colors, crowds, ot all came together very well. There were lots of similarities to architecture from the PT and TCW, so it felt like a "Republic" system.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I still can’t believe people translate all the language. That must take forever

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Episode 4 was my favorite so far.
    I loved the design of the city on Pantora with all it's curving canyons and such.
    Shand is a cool surprise, and they used her to drive the episode well.

14. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Aurebesh's alphabet's been around for over 40 years at this point, which is plenty long enough for people to memorize the shapes like any other language

I'd rather have taken Star Wars over Spanish, French, or German in my school days, but noooo...

15. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    You're right, I did miss that, and I'll have to watch for it the next time I view this episode.

I found the subplot of Echo and the droids to be intriguing. It's a great idea for a disguise -- opening up opportunities for infiltration and information-gathering -- although it also raises some issues. One reviewer I read elsewhere commented that Star Wars tends to raise the "are droids people and is this slavery?" question without ever actually addressing it (review here if anyone is interested). Also, the idea of selling "merchandise" that's just going to walk away when convenient is cringe-inducing if I think about it too much. I know we need the money and all, but... ouch.

If anyone else would like to learn or try their hand at it: Learn Aurebesch

It's like having a secret decoder ring.... ;)

16. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    Was nice seeing Fennec this episode. Loved how Pantora looked. Fennec was deffo hired by the Kaminoans, if not subcontracted by someone who was(wink wink, boba). Fennec also has an awesome ship. Not much to say besides that.
    As every young Mandalorian lass should!

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  17. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Echo dressed as a droid is similar to prince Mon Julpa dressed as a droid in “Droids”

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Othon

Othon Jedi Knight

Jul 9, 2020
    Fennec's ship felt familiar. Was it based on concept art or an existing model? It has elements of the V-wing on it's back half for sure. Reminded me of Ventress' ship in Dark Disciple and how that's very similar to a droid gunship.

19. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    It’s nice to finally get an animated episode spent on Pantora.

+ Great visuals
    + Nice to see police on a planet that isn’t Coruscant
    + Bounty Hunter related casualties are back from TCW
    + Clink
    + Fennec not killing the Sullustan swindler was a nice twist - as that happened so much on TCW where a villain would kill another villain for little reason, it became a bit too cliched.

Interesting they are keeping it mysterious who hired Fennec, at first I thought it was the Kaminoans, but I do like the fan theories of the crime syndicates being after Omega as well, also maybe Dathomir are after her if she’s one of the last Night sisters?

Even if Fennec was more ruthless here then she was in the Mandalorian, this is decades before so possible she may have mellowed down a bit by then...

20. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I liked this episode and the observations you made.

I dunno about Fennec mellowing though. She did aim a gun at a child in Mando...

Riv_Shiel and SeparatistFan like this.
  21. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Really liked this episode too. What can I say, I've gone from not so sure to being a big fan of the show. Reminds me of when I walked into the TCW movie with a sense of indifference all those years ago, and I've been a fan ever since.

Seeing all of the clones, Omega included, having to adjust to their new lives, ignorant of the ways of the galaxy outside of Kamino and/or battle zones, is being done very well overall. Wrecker and Tech having to figure out what a bribe was, was particularly amusing.

I don't know why, but when Hunter sold Echo to the shopkeep, something about it reminded me of Rebels when Zeb bet Chopper in Sabaac. They needed the credits, so why not? I would've been curious to see if a restraining bolt would have had any affect on Echo in the first place if the owner had actually tried using it, but luckily Echo was a step ahead of him when they took off.

it was great to see Fennec Shand again. She's definitely becoming a favorite character of mine ever since The Mandalorian. When she approached Omega in the street with was with the sinister subtlety of, for lack of a better comparison, a child abductor. In fact I read a comment in a youtube reaction video that said the commenter was watching this with his or her daughter and when that moment came along she sat up and yelled "Stranger Danger!" Honestly those were the first words I thought of when i saw the scene too. She put in a good appearance overall. her combat skills were great, as was her ruthlessness. She was all smiles with Omega, but she wasn't about to lose her bounty either. Any concern she might have shown for Omega was probably in her interest of returning Omega undamaged. I particularly liked the very small detail of when she was squaring off with Wrecker, how she briefly glanced to her left, indicating what she was thinking ahead and planning how to take him out.

9 out of 10 again. This show's been pretty steady in that regard with me so far. Can't wait to see what happens next.

22. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    I liked this episode. The adventures of Omega who visited a big city for the first time and the problems associated with it are very familiar to me. Pandora pretty well shown, colorful with these domed buildings. Showing also how these more "civilized" planets react to the victory of the Empire in the War and the propaganda of the Empire at full. deal with threats emerging from almost aether during this period, with no ties to any major organization. Plus the ending indicates that I still know that the appearance of this character will cause criticism of the "small galaxy syndrome" but I will not agree I believe it allows you to develop some characters more. And show them from a different angle

The Echo storyline was a creative and funny piece (I'm worth more than 2,000) and the chase sequence reminded me of Trek Abrams mixed up with a Beverly Hills cop (that worker in headphones).

I wonder who commissioned Omege, because if they were Kaminoans, they would rather show them.

23. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
  24. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

The body looks like a flattened Republic Gunship without the troop carrier with the gun bubbles on its wings removed

whostheBossk and Othon like this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018