main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 1.05 - Rampage - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 27, 2021.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 4, 2021.
  1. 10

4.7%
  2. 9

14.1%
  3. 8

31.3%
  4. 7

34.4%
  5. 6

6.3%
  6. 5

6.3%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.6%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Boils down to this, 5000 planets in the galaxy, but only 100 characters on them, and they all know each other lol.

Guidman likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Worth noting that that "Pateesa" in the new canon originated in the same story sections of Aftermath that gave us Cobb Vanth. Seems odd that they would stick to the details of one character in that story and not another.

It matches up with previous depictions: urban environment (Star Wars Insider art / TOR, and Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell [though that one was more Cloud City-styled]) and junkyard-y wasteland on the other side of the planet (Shadows of the Empire).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Blink and you miss it moment I caught in this episode. Once again it's on Tech. When the camera shifts from Hunter to Echo before he followed Cid inside at the end. Tech can just barely be seen starting to walk around Echo. Look for the little red light on his coke bottles. This guy is a human FBI Survaliance van. I remember from the Bad Batch arc in TCW he has a hobby of recording everything.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  4. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Another thing that I like in The Bad Batch (and can also be seen in The Mandalorian) is a sense of realism from a certain perspective. Sure, it's another episode where Hunter and the team had to do a side quest to obtain information and credits (ala The Mandalorian), but I just like it that the Storygroup shows the need for the team to buy food and purchase fuel. I like this sense of realism where it shows the other side required from going place to place. You don't just have endless fuel reserves and food stores, you need to stop and re-fuel and re-stock. And on top of this, one's credits are not just an endless supply too. You need to do small jobs continuously to build up your credit supply.

Seeing this "realism" stuff in The Bad Batch and The Mandalorian puts it into perspective for me how much planets like Alderaan bank-rolled such a large organisation such as the Rebellion and how much the Centrist planets post-ROTJ bank-rolled and helped create the large organisation of The First Order.

And on a funnier note, it puts it into perspective when Palpatine loses it in one of Robot Chicken's parodies when Vader phones him and tells him the first Death Star has been destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2021
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I was kinda bummed when it was Jabba's Rancor (maybe? Probably?) because Luke done crushes it's head with a door, maybe it's a way to generate sympathy for the Rancor Keeper moment.

Anyway, they finally gave Omega a wrist-comm and told her to stop wandering off so maybe that'll take care of the Echo Wanders Off plotlines.

Oddly, the self-contained adventure with connections tot he film vibe of this episode felt a lot like Resistance to me, which may be intentionally since I believe the showrunners worked on Resistance.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea that been the case with all of Star Wars. Not saying you can’t critique it, but just saying don’t expect it to go anywhere. I can’t name a single canon story that doesn’t have some connection to something else.

7. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    Bib mother****ing Fortuna, baby! I was pleasantly surprised finding out that Muchi was a rancor! I still believe Fennec was commissioned by Boba who was hired by Kamino!

8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    For all we know, Jabba may have had a stable full of Rancors.

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There could be more than one. I just really like how the idea of Muchi being the one Luke kills recontextualizes that scene.
    Pateesa hasn't been uncanonized yet and doesn't have to be, but anything's possible.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well the writer of the episode said this so obviously the writers intention was for it to be the ROTJ rancor
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  11. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Very true, and im all for connection, but lately it has become overkill.

SilentGuy66 and Sarge like this.
  12. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    It will probably be way worse in BOBF

Sarge likes this.
  13. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I agree with everyone saying that Star Wars being a "small universe" is just a part of Star Wars at this point. And has been for a very long time - ever since Vader became Luke's father and Leia became Luke's sister!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It definitely feels like it's the episode's intent. Unfortunately, a lot of people (including future authors) are going to come to that conclusion because of this episode, so I would expect a lot of contradicting references on the subject in the coming years- whether official or general public commentary. Might become a case where the mistake becomes so widespread it ends up getting retconned in as fact to meet the emerging expectations.

15. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I don't mind having parts of Aftermath retconned, and would be happy if they retconned all of it. ;)

16. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    7/10 - animation for the monsters was a bit weak but at least Wrecker's got his mojo back just in time for his headache to return that's totally not foreshadowing anything ominous

17. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Yeah, I just think the episode could set these kinds of things up better. Right now, what we've previously seen about the Batch is they can analyze any situation quickly and figure out how to respond. They're not only experienced military, but they have an intellectual genius part of the team.

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to ever be captured, but the execution needs to be better for me to buy it.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I didn't have a problem with the Batchers getting caught easily. Only one of them was an ARC Trooper. The Bad Batch is established as being bad at stealth which is something Mercenaries and people trying to lie low should be good at. The Batch are learning they can't do this in their sleep. They need better plans than the smash and grab. The Zygerians weren't a joke the last time around in the Slaves of the Republic Arc. They made pretty short work capturing Rex, Obi-wan, Ahsoka, and Anakin.

I think this will be built on in the story. I was probably harsh on Hunter not doing much leading and seeming off. He knows just as much as the others, nothing outside of life in the GAR. None of these guys are dumb including Wrecker. They just seem slow because they are learning as they go. Omega is obviously smart but she still has little situational awareness and will approach anybody which is what happened in this episode. She doesn't go up to Cid because all four of the Batchers are there to protect her. To go with that Hunter is making decisions entirely around Omega. Finding out who Fennec is may not have been the right one either. I wonder if one of the other Batchers will eventually take Crosshair's side and start crap with Hunter over his leadership.

The Bad Batch, IMO including Tech who is one of the books smart people just aren't the smartest or most free-thinking clones around. Both Rex and Fives are/ were smarter, more creative, and freer thinking. Echo really shined in this episode because he seems smarter and savvier even with what happened to him on Skako Minor. He's the ARC Trooper. That makes sense. I have often had the idea Domino Squad all came out of the jar much smarter which is the real reason why they kept failing the test. Echo has had a few moments atleady between now and going back to "Unfinished Business" where he's given Fives a run for his money. Fives is the guy it took Palpatine to outsmart him.

The reappearance to the Zygerians selling people as property again is also an immediate reminder of things changing. Back on Pantora people were dancing in the streets cheering the end of the war. The new Empire. The Zygerians celebrate their slave business being legal and even in demand. The slaves not so much. Maybe they were slaves of the Republic a week ago. I bet these people we're glad to see Clones show up for a change. I wonder if they think the Republic or the Empire saved them from slavery when they saw those helmets.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  19. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I gave this 8/10.

I'm liking the series, I like the character development and action. This episode was interesting for 2 reasons, it serves as a bridge episode to finding out who hired Fennec, which is interesting and I can't wait to see where it goes. Also it makes Fennec an early post-ROTS character. It also was cool that it added to the known Canon. Finding out how Jabba got his rancor was cool but honestly I felt bad for her. Overall good episode, can't wait for Friday.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of Ord Mantell appearances, apparently it has already shown up on screen in several Forces of Destiny shorts- primarily ones featuring Jyn, Leia, Sabine and Kira:

(that's the embed limit, but this one and this one also have Ord Mantell)

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.
  21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Aren't those actually set on Garel? The spaceport seen in Rebels? The purple lighting and matching architecture style would lead me to that conclusion:
    [​IMG]

The Q'ira and Jyn's Trade shorts look distinct enough that they could be Ord Mantell, or they might be Takobo (from Future of the Force, also in Rebels), but the others all seem like obvious Garel ones to me. In fact, Takobo shares an uncanny resemblance to Ord Mantell:
    [​IMG]

Also, the Wook says that some of the street sets on Takobo were reused Dark Disciple assets, meant for Pantora, so I wonder if any of those same sets got reused again for Pantora in Bad Batch? [face_thinking]

whostheBossk and cwustudent like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, you're right, some of them are Garel. My mistake! But some are Ord Mantell. Coherent Axe set things right over in the Lit thread:

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Rhea Perlman is a treasure, so I'm happy to see (hear) her as a trandoshan. Baby Rancor was cute, and I thought it was fun that it turned out to be Jabba's rancor. I don't mind the "small universe" complaints, as that has never bothered me (if Anakin building Threepio doesn't bother me, nothing will). And I've always felt really sad for the Rancor keeper in ROTJ, so that hasn't changed (I had a hard time watching that scene as a kid - the Rancor keeper's reaction really upset me). It's always a blast to see Bib, as well as gamorreans. Also cool to get to see Ord Mantell a bit more.
    All in all, I liked this episode, but I thought it was the weakest of the show so far. I don't have any specific complaints, I simply liked the previous episodes more.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think a reason why I just wasn't feeling this episode as much is I'm ready for an episode that's more cerebral again between last week which was fun and this week which is entertaining and is developing the characters moving them forward. There's just not as much to it.

Sproj and Snafu55 like this.
  25. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Loved the episode! They had Rancors in TCW in one of the Felucia, but it was awesome to see a baby version of the species.

I really think SW Fans love to find stuff to complain about. Seriously, It never crossed my mind about all the "Small Universe" comments/complaints. SMH.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.