main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 1.05 - Rampage - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 27, 2021.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 4, 2021.
  1. 10

4.7%
  2. 9

14.1%
  3. 8

31.3%
  4. 7

34.4%
  5. 6

6.3%
  6. 5

6.3%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.6%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It's pretty damn epic that Carla is part of the SW universe now. That's up there with Vyvyan in SW. :D

TadoFett, Sarge, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  2. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Carla, Woody, Cliff Clavin.

Now all we need is Sam and Diane and we'll be all set.

Sarge, TCF-1138 and Count Yubnub like this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    i had to look Cliff up. You know, in all those years, I never realized that was Cliff! That was before Cheers, even.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  4. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Look guys, it's okay. Jabba probably had dozens of rancors he abused, tortured, and killed!

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Perhaps the weakest thus far (especially after clearly the best episode last week), but I enjoyed it (and loved the look of the two locations on Ord Mantel). Also don’t mind the Jabba connection at all. He was a major gangster. Why shouldn’t he and his interests be a big presence in the galaxy?

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Wrecker's chip will definitively activate at some point. I don't think Muchi is the same Rancor as the one in RotJ. Jabba could have kept several Rancors as pets off-screen. The part where Omega quickly figures out who is Cid was funny but I'm not sure she's completely trustworthy yet.

7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Cid isn't trustworthy at all. "I can keep a secret." is a threat. Cid is threatening the Batchers into working for her. Hunter isn't hair for brains though. He's got more questions than answers now and seemingly no other source to ask. That's something to go along with. Even if there was no use for Cid, I don't think Hunter would just kill her for nothing and run. He's just not a ruthless killer even compared to other popular clones. I don't think Cid has realized Omega is what Fennec was after but I really hope Hunter never leaves Omega alone with Cid as babysitting like Djarin left Grogu with Peli. Cuz Cid will not be a safe babysitter. I think Cid is underestimating the Bad Batch by deciding to talk to the leader alone. She doesn't realize the team has a human FBI surveillance van listening.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I definitely agree the statement was implied to be a threat, though a part of me thinks there is going to be a twist down the line that reveals she is actually completely loyal and trustworthy. She was a friend to the Jedi after all, then again its possible she was a friend in the same vane as Hondo.
    Its just an interesting perspective I've considered that if we expect her to be out for herself, its likely the shows creators are aware of that and may want to subvert expectations.

9. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Semi-good news for Muchi: The Trivia Gallery says Jabba's had more than one rancor.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  10. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Translation: they saw most fans didn't like it

Sarge likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's probably not it, considering that the Rancor in ROTJ has previously been established as a male that goes by another name.
    And I've mostly heard positive things about it, so I wouldn't know about "most fans" not liking it either.

TadoFett and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  12. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Why do we want a cute presentation of a rancor? I'd love to hear a good answer.

Riv_Shiel, DarthRamRod and Sarge like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What do you mean, "we?" I don't.

14. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Muchi is also an adolescent, not a baby

15. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Right. I'd like to be surprised. It'd be to expected that oh course she was going to betray them.

16. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Some people are overly concerned about the small galaxy thing. But in an adventure story, it makes sense to have characters meet each other at a fairly high clip.

A much bigger problem, IMO, is making too many things cute. The rancors are intended to be fearsome beasts, not lovable merchandise that can be packaged with baby Yoda.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Lovable merchandise packaged with Baby Yoda = $, and $ > artistic integrity.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  18. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    If they're gonna go the small universe route then at least have it make sense and mean something.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  19. Darth Trevius

Darth Trevius Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    same reason we got ewoks jar jar and that bouncy baby ball bb8 trash .. lots to enjoy but pandering to toddlers is what detracts from the universe

The Chalk Jedi and Sarge like this.
  20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I cab see them doing something similar to Hondo with Cid. I don't think they'll go the route of a friend just because it's also predictable that Fennec will do a sort of Heal Face Turn on her employer at some point (Unless surprisingly it really is Boba). I think it is more likely Cid will use them and then betray the Bad Batch and the writing is anything but subtle about it. However, I am hoping the twist will be Hunter and Tech pull a Batman Gambit on Cid. Glad to be proven wrong though and you can take comfort that my predictions are more often wrong than right. I hope where things go is more surprising than I can imagine.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While the Rancor in this episode was cute, it's not as if it was just a harmless baby. It tore through those slavers with little effort.
    And it being cute doesn't stop it from becoming a "fearsome beast" as it grows up. Just think of lions - incredibly cute as cubs, but I wouldn't want to meet a grown one in the wild.
    Or if you want a more "monster movie" example; remember the newborn raptor in Jurassic Park? I'd say it's very cute. Doesn't stop the adult raptors from being absolutely terrifying. Same for the baby T-Rex in The Lost World.

On a related note, I read a Star Wars book as a kid -- I think it was one of the Young Jedi Knights books -- where Luke was lamenting that he once had to kill a Rancor, which he thought was awful as they're "such beautiful creatures". It changed my view of the Rancor in ROTJ more than the Baby Rancor in TBB ever could.

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Makes the baby rancor like the Spotted Hyena. Hugely misunderstood animal made a villain in The Lion King . Actually highly intelligent and beautiful in its own way. Cubs are adorable.

23. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t quite understand the small universe critique here though. Jabba was a big-time gangster in the galaxy during this period. It’s not that unbelievable that characters with galaxy-spanning roles (like the Bad Batch) would intersect with him (or his minions or his interests) at some point. It’s not like the Bad Batch accidentally stumbled upon the Lars homestead or something. They just stumbled into one of Jabba’s many schemes.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    LedReader and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Was looking at the episode guide. It's amusing there is a slide dedicated to liquor bottles.