main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 1.07 - Battle Scars - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 10, 2021.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 18, 2021.
  1. 10

18.8%
  2. 9

34.4%
  3. 8

31.3%
  4. 7

7.8%
  5. 6

1.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

3.1%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 1.07!!
    Battle Scars

-------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney+.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) The Bad Batch episodes air on Friday on Disney+ at 12am PST/PDT. Anyone who shares plot details about an episode before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. Commander DuctTape

Commander DuctTape Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2021
    The title leveled up it seems ;)

I am curious what this episode will be about. On one hand, it seems like we'll be dealing with the fallout of Hunter's choice to give the data to Rafa, but on the other, we might also get our answers to who the robed guy was during the end of the last episode. I don't think we'll see Rex just yet, as he is too big of a gun to fire off only at episode 7. Maybe at the half-season mark, but I imagine they're keeping him for later as an extra way to keep the viewers interested in the show, if for no other reason then to see when and how Rex shows up.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Band and Convicts would be more buyable since the titles are mostly one-word except someone had a brainfart when coming up with synonyms for "The Deserter" with the episode title for "Cut and Run". No way this title is real! =P

I am really curious what the consequences are going to be for Hunter and his group if they don't have a backup of the data. I hope that Cid isn't going to sell them up the river this early since that would be a waste. I think we've got another episode before the person in the robe pops back up. One of the Star Wars YouTubers thinks this is going to be an important episode for what that's worth though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Commander DuctTape likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I can’t wait until tomorrow

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Am I my Convergence's keeper?

Guidman likes this.
  6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm just going to assume Band on the Run is going to be an episode title at this point the way things are going. Although they'll probably, somehow, have to pay Paul McCartney to do that.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Convergence, Can You Spare a Dime?

8. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    It's going to be so confusing for someone new to drop into Episode 16's thread, to find us a dozen layers deep into a running joke.

I reckon no pay off for the robed hologram this week, but that we will see Admiral Rampart again.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

I'm Hyped, Wrecker go bad, bad.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I do wonder how many people have fallen for it

11. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Well, "Band of Brothers" and "Convergence" weren't jokes initially.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I wish folks would stop posting stuff like this. Makes me feel like I did two weeks ago when Kiner posted how much fun it was to compose music for the Bombastic scenes in "Rampage". I got overhyped which lead to disappointment. I'm just going to ignore this since last week the stuff that was posted like episode length, description, and the title was inaccurate at best.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  13. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Is it me, or have all the episode titles been one word?

14. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    It's like The Mandalorian, where there is a set pattern with one or two annoying outliers (Cut and Run, Sanctuary).

Riv_Shiel and DarthKreVass like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Extremely important episode, this one.

16. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well this time it wasn't overhype it was legit :p

17. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Was anyone else expecting when they started removing everyone else's inhibitor chips, that we'd find out Echo's was removed by the Techno Union?

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Kind of disappointed that this didn't happen.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Best episode of the show yet!

Mystery person from last week was Rex. Glad they didn't drag that out, and it was nice to see him again.
    I love that they went to Bracca. I'm a big fan of Fallen Order, and I've been hoping to see more of that planet. It looked fantastic! I Kind of hoped we'd get a cameo by a young Cal, but it wouldn't have fit the episode.
    I'm surprised that they solved the inhibitor chip situation this quickly. Still, Wrecker going berserk was a great scene, and made me realize how much I've come to care about these characters.
    I wonder who Rex is working with at this point. But I'm pretty sure we'll see him again soon, so we'll probably find out before the season is over.

20. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I really should've put Rex's cloak and his mention of Rafa & Trace together in my head. Well, that throws my theory out the window!
    Excellent episode, I love when we go into environments that are abandoned/destroyed...It explains a lot of my YouTube viewing history.

21. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    - Feels like the payoff didn't merit all the multiweek buildup with the headaches and mystery contact. But given how straightforward the mystery contact was, it was better than dragging it out and in the macro view, the less story dependence we have on those inhibitor chips, the better. Meanwhile, it's back to status quo for the series. Mercenary missions of the week, the Empire hunting them, slow burn buildup of bounties on Omega, and figuring out what the deal is with the kid in the first place.

- Didn't Omega's rifle have a stun setting? Seems that would have solved that little dillemma right quick.

22. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    That was a truly fantastic episode, right up there with the pilot AND I loved the link to Fallen Order.

It was wonderful to see Rex again and the way he reacted to learning they hadn't had the chip removed was totally understandable. Wrecker's rampage was pretty frightening and I loved Omega's interactions with him. They are all truly free now of the chips and while of course needing to face off with their brothers and Crosshair next, it will be interesting to see what happens from here.

- Will they free other brothers when the empire rocks up next week?
    - How will Crosshair react when he inevitably gets the inhibitor chip removed?
    - Did the recycling clan record Rex being there?

Again, a really great episode, as anything with Rex always is!

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The King (Rex) of the Clones, is in this one!

They weren't subtle about it either. The brown eyes and the nose under the hood. I wish I could have seen the brief bar fight between him and the guy pissed Rex took his booth.

Oh boy, this is automatically my favorite episode so far. Captain Rex delivered the hype in this episode. He turned what started out like the Batchers were going to go on a second quest for a tactical droid into 27 minutes that reopened the wounds of "Shattered". The episode is a great combination of character-driven, drama action, and the action at the end has a somber feel to it that manages to rekindle the feel of the TCW episode I mentioned.

There were some sweet moments like the initial greeting between Rex and the Batchers. Wrecker bear hugging Rex made me laugh and hurt my heart because what was coming was totally predictable.

But the episode turns serious from the moment Rex meets Omega where he looks into the eyes of the wunderkind with the wheels in his head-turning. There was a slight sense of joy throughout the episode when Rex and the Batchers, particularly him and Echo who is usually such a grumpy pants are interacting.

Then the inhibitor chip subplot takes over. That's what Rex is in this episode for. Rex almost turned on the Bad Batch, he kept himself between them and Omega and seemed fully prepared to take action. That was really dark. I think Rex protecting the kid from them quickly convinced Hunter they probably shouldn't be so headless. Bracca was fantastic to see in all its glory and looked better than on Unreal Engine.

Oh, and Fives finally gets name-dropped. The regret in Rex's voice for not understanding him at the time hurts. I wish Echo seemed a little less indifferent but then Echo has moved on to a new life now. I'm sure he knows Fives is gone the same as Tech looking up Rex being killed in action.

BTW, I still think the contact was Bail and Rex is working for or with him alongside the Martez sisters. Maybe Ahsoka is affiliated with them. He's basically disappeared into the galaxy and in his mind is still working with this mysterious contact to defend the Republic. That's an interesting development. This creates a few more continuity glitches with Rebels but I don't really care. I'm delighted to sort those wrinkles out in my head. Rex may have lived the last days of the clones in the GAR through a disguise or through Wolffe.

Some folks I know are going to think the inhibitor chip thing was resolved too quickly. I don't think so when the execution with Wrecker losing control was so perfect. How his fear of the surgery, compounded by his fear of heights, a fight for his life, and then the fear of the scalpal basically to his temple snapped Wrecker into a killing machine. I mean Wrecker was only slightly less scary than having Savage coming after them.

I swear Savage strangling his brother to death when he was placed under Mother Talzin's spell is the first thing that came to mind when Wrecker got hold of Tech. My heart actually skipped a beat there. That TCW had a track record of dropping bridges on important Clone characters stayed in my mind every time he attacked Tech, Echo, and Hunter. Also with Wrecker himself. Him not waking up from surgery felt like it could have gone either way.

Omega's fear of losing him, them, perhaps able to sense Wrecker's fear of death really gave weight to the emotions. Hunter tried to comfort her as best he could and that was a great Best Dad moment. Rex seemed to have a hard time watching her go through that. When Wrecker comes after her it is devastating to watch even knowing she is going to be fine. The scene of her hiding in the medical bay reminded me of the kitchen scene in Jurassic Park. Wrecker lifting the door open with sparks going everywhere was a callback to "Shattered" when the Clones tried to go in after Ahsoka. I don't know if Wrecker's big ass blaster has a Stun setting but that doesn't really matter. Omega is a kid, it would have been emotionally damaging if she had to pull the trigger. I clapped and cheered when Rex got his big damn heroes moment and saved her. The scene of Wrecker trying to apologize for what he did is beautiful and heart breaking. I feel like there is some lasting damage that had been done here to the big guy.

My biggest complaint with this episode would be the title. "Battle Scars" is weak and doesn't match the rest of the episode titles. I wish that Tech could have done a little bit more in this episode. I got a laugh out of him complaining about the medical bay not being sterile and Rex's wit back at him. I also wish Rex could have had more time with Omega, more time to ask the questions we all have. But Rex has a new war to fight and no more time for these guys for now. I'm also disappointed Hunter didn't shave off half of his head, LOL. Nothing serious to complain about.

I don't know about going back to the exact status quo. Rex walks away into the mist which is some cool imagery like the silhouette of a clone trooper in full armor vanishes. That's foreshadowing something. But not before inviting Hunter to join him and Hunter giving him the A-Team line. There will be a payoff for that down the road. In the meantime, some dudes spotted Hunter and are going to inform the empire. I think Uncle Crosshair is due for a visit soon under Tarkin's orders. "I want Clone Force 99 found and eliminated at all costs!" Better get ready boys.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  24. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    I am disappointed that Echo did not even ask about Fives. It was reduced to just one throwaway line by Rex, and Echo did not even react to that. Thought they'd capitalize more on that, given their history. But then again, in the last episode he said "Never thought I'd see the battle droids helping us," when they actually helped him on the Citadel mission.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Sarge and Seerow like this.