main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 1.07 - Battle Scars - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 10, 2021.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 18, 2021.
  1. 10

18.8%
  2. 9

34.4%
  3. 8

31.3%
  4. 7

7.8%
  5. 6

1.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

3.1%
  1. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    Loved this episode.

And I think Rex talked about Sabé. That could even pull Ahsoka's book in the game, because - I think? - it was her who tried to get Ahsoka for Bail.

Why do I think so? Bail has to keep a very low profile. He's to protect Leia. Sabé is enough out of the picture, but recognizeable for people.

When Rex and Ahsoka parted, she gave him R7. It is possible that R7 has the information about the chip memorized. Otherwise he's a way to communicate if necessary. While on Mandalore Rex surely got the story about the Pikes.

Instead of Sabé it could be any Amidalan. I guess Sabé's start into a form of Rebellion will be out in November. The Amaidalans were in the Vader comic.

There is no better way to put the handmaidens in than BB. Everything would be logical, it isn't "putting characters in", it is finally the oportunity to give the handmaidens real screentime.

And: Right after Padme's funeral Sabé got a message and files.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I do wish that instead of just sharing the candy popcorn stuff which was sweet enough Omega and Wrecker had shared a nice big hug at the end.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "Battle Scars" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

4. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    One of the best episodes so far for me. Love the "Tradition". Very loving to see stuff like this within the overall story. Very nice moments. Still loving Sid, too. By far the best new character introduced in this series (aside from Omega). I hope there's more to come, because from where I sit, LFL does great characters!!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It's probably too early for Cal to be on Bracca. When did JFO take place?

InterestingLurker likes this.
  6. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    A solid 8/10. Cut and Run still tops the list for me as its emotional tension was more centered in the human experience (no bloody inhibitor chips) and characters making choices. But this one had a lot of good emotional scenes too after the last three action-centered outings. This won't be the last big cameo on the show but we'll probably get a break from them for a while so I look forward to rolling with the story and not speculating on mystery holograms.

rumblewagon likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, gave it a 9/10. Heavily involved with the overall story of the BB with regards to what happened to them during the final days of the Clone Wars and getting them prepped for the future.

Some things of note
    • Nice "cameo" of the Dejarik game in the beginning. I don't remember seeing that previously at Cid's place.
    • Of course it was refreshing seeing Rex once again, mere days or weeks after everything that happened between him, Ahsoka, and the clones when Order 66 was issued. I wonder how often he'll be a recurring character.
    • And with Ahsoka, of course I was hoping for an Ahsoka name drop. I guess the vague I had help reference regarding how he removed his chip is sufficient enough. It's one thing to reveal himself as a rogue clone to the BB team; it's another to tell them that there's a living, breathing Jedi running around and he wasn't sure if they've been compromised by the chip or not
    • If there was one thing that I was confused by during this first showing, it was that little Omega was left to fend for herself while compromised Wrecker was going after her. Were the rest of the BB, including Rex, so incapacitated at that point that they couldn't help her? Maybe I didn't realize what happened to all of them immediately.
    • So was Rex potentially communicating with Ahsoka at the end? Just a hunch.

rumblewagon likes this.
  8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I mean, this is what makes this kind of entertainment great...great characters! I loved the "Tradition" too, it's such a great bond between Omega and Wrecker. Sure we get to see Rex, but he's there to help our heroes escape their dark side, in the inhibitor chips that are still in their skulls. I wouldn't have expected Rex to join The Bad Batch, nor our heroes join him right away...because that's not the story being told right now. Now we're wondering how our heroes will escape from the increasing debt owed to a Trandoshan pub owner who uses them for her own ends.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  9. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Rex: I've been laying low
    Also Rex: *wearing full clone armor*

Bit of a shame they haven't given the characters "casual" outfits, although they'd probably still stick out like a sore thumb given the variety of clothing from planet to planet

10. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Cal's escape pod lands on Bracca immediately after Order 66 is issued.

I give it a 9/10, gotta ding them for Echo's complete lack of interest in Fives' fate. I figured they were saving it for this show after sidestepping it in the original TCW Bad Batch arc. Very disappointed that nothing came of it here and only cements Echo's status as the least interesting member of the team for me.

TK-421 Is vader and rumblewagon like this.
  11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    10 for me. There are some small issues like wanting Echo to react to Fives. But I think there are things wrong with Echo's head. Loved this one.

If it is traditional for Omega and Wrecker to get Mantell Mix after a mission and there are 20 cartons it would seem the Batch has had 10 successful missions either after the last episode or around it.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I give it an good solid 8, i loved this episode but i haven't had that wow feeling yet that clone wars and rebels have given me.

13. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    We are at episode 7. So, from what I have heard, there's like 14 episodes. Damn, the ending of this one makes me think things are gonna heat up big time. Love this show. I just want to thank JF and DF for giving us excellent modern Star Wars. Thank you so much!

Sproj and rumblewagon like this.
  14. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I really liked this episode. The stuff with Omega and Wrecker was heartbreaking. I think this is the most I have ever cared about the main cast of this show and the fact that Wrecker was the character to achieve that is impressive.

Obviously, it was great seeing Rex again. I love seeing how his character has grown. He has doesn't have the blind trust of authority that he used to have in his early days in the Republic army, but his disillusionment hasn't turned him into a bitter cynic. He's still committed to fighting for the Republic. I really like that. =D=

And, yeah, seeing a giant dianoga was fun. :D

This might have been the best episode so far imo. This or the Crosshair one.

rumblewagon and DarthKreVass like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    very deep reference to Bracca and Jedi Fallen Order, even the scavengers at the end were wearing the same outfit that Cal does so I appreciated how much they dug into that, even with a Sarlacc too. (Although apparently a dionoga, eh, big monster with teeth! that was also in Fallen Order!). It'd be awesome if they can work him in there somehow but yah continuity for him to be involved (still at padawan level) would be dicey. But he would be more powerful than when the game first starts.

I was a little irritated that not following along with Order 66 was "very rare" which leaves a bit more outs that I don't think O66 needs, especially when we saw that even Rex wasn't able to resist it. I'm okay with the Bad Batch not following O66 because of their adjustments and mutations (and it eventually got Wrecker and Crosshair anyway), it just makes it more complicated than needed cuz that would mean some regs didn't follow O66 cuz their chips fritzted out. Although overall it does mean the Kamonians aren't entirely perfect. Like I said, little irritated but not world breaking or anything. Just unnecessary.

rumblewagon likes this.
  16. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    It makes sense to me. There are millions of clones. A good way to blend in. Also his armor is so damn cool we had to see it again.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Was anyone else humming 16 Tons when Cid showed them their debts?
    You load 16 tons and what do you get
    Another day older and deeper in debt
    St Peter don't call me cuz I can't go
    I owe my soul to the company store

"Speak, clone, and enter."
    "What's the Kaminoan word for clone?"

Overall, I thought this one was a step down. No plot twists, everything very predictable. Wrecker's berserker rage was done well, but I didn't find anything unexpected about it. IMO, the story writers could have done a lot more with the plot point of getting the chips removed. Anybody remember the Ariel episode of Firefly, when Simon wanted to break into a hospital to brain scan River? That was one of the best, and a good example of how to make a similar story interesting.

Riv_Shiel and DarthRamRod like this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    There seems to be a mistake at times in this episode where Echo has a bandage as early as when the group enters the medical bay. Then it vanishes by the end of the episode when everyone else has had the chip removed. I don't know what to make of this.

19. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I love this one! It feels sufficiently 'full' and well tied together, and is probably the most I've enjoyed Tech and Wrecker in particular. Tech's well suited to understated humor (and has had moments of that previously, which I'm appreciating more now). I also like his early jab at Echo, and it'd be cool to see a friendly rivalry between the two of them. Wrecker goes through a great emotional range here -- nice bits of humor, including the quips with Rex, the chip-induced cold violence, and the sweet relationship with Omega. In hindsight, it's fitting that Omega tries to calm him down in the opening scene.

Speaking of that scene, it was a pretty good misdirect for me on first viewing because then I wasn't thinking about the Corellia job, so I didn't guess that the new arrival was Rex. I do like that that reveal came in this episode. There's a somewhat awkward spot in the writing, I think, when Rex mentions some clones being unaffected by Order 66. He would know that the programming includes executing any clones who defy it. But maybe he thought the Batch's case was different, or had some other lapse in caution. In fairness, it's tricky because if he and Hunter hadn't had that exchange, Wrecker may not have had any targets and so the scene would've been less dramatic. I still think it works, and the music helps to evoke that last arc of TCW.

9/10

Sproj and rumblewagon like this.
  20. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Wow! I keep getting surprised at how good this series looks. It's like the animation department had their budget increased beyond what CW7 had. Or maybe they're just getting better at what they do.
    Mantell Mix! LOL!
    Really enjoyed seeing Rex return!
    Wrecker going Order 66 was a teased (and therefore expected) development, but it was still surprising how ruthless he became.
    Really enjoyed this episode!

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  21. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Absolutely loved this Episode. Having not played Fallen Order before and having only seen a few snippets of Bracca as my son's played the game, I immediately loved the look of Bracca. This is a Star Wars childhood dream (or even a Sci-Fi one in general) where you have this planet with so many places to explore. It evokes those same "child exploring" feelings I felt when I first saw Rey in the Star Destroyer on Jakku and when she went into the ruins of the Death Star in TROS. It was fantastic to see yet another brilliantly unique environment and that would be the kind of place that I'd love to visit and explore.

Great to see Rex again and getting abit more "Clone History". I loved the part where Rex mentions that the Bad Batch have skills (military skills) that could be useful in fighting the Empire (or something like that); ie. teaching members of the Rebellion in how to conduct military operations. Because this is where I feel the Bad Batch storyline will ultimately end up - in teaching the Rebellion military tactics and strategy. I can see them transforming Saw's people from the kind of people killed by Crosshair and Co, into a group of hardened soldiers who will give back as good as they get. And not just Saw's people, but Bail's people too; as well as any other Rebellion Cell.

But one thing I also dearly loved that's outside of what directly happened in this Episode is how Rau, Filoni and Co have cast out the hooks of Canon and pulled the overall story in much tighter again. Because like other works, it could easily be stated "oh, that's just that video game thing over there. That's not real Star Wars". But now that video game thing's planet over there has been pulled into another storyline, so its alot harder to dismiss because its place in Canon exists in more than one place. Its being done in The Mandalorian and I love how its being done in this show too.

whostheBossk and Sproj like this.
  22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No its not. Order 66 happens and he immediately lands on Bracca and stays there for 5 years until rescued by Cere and Greeves

23. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Which makes you wonder, could they work in a panicked Cal next week when the empire shows up?

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  24. Kalo'ne

Kalo'ne Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2020
    Yeah you’re right - they’re exactly the same as the ‘shipyard riggers’:

Here’s a still from the episode (not sure if this breaks board rules?):

25. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I loved, loved, loved this episode. It was good seeing Rex again. And I found it interesting how Omega doesn't have an inhibitor chip.

Also loved the use of the yellow cable. It was a nice nod to fallen order.