main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 1.14 - War-Mantle - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 29, 2021.

Tags:
?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Aug 6, 2021.
  1. 10

21.0%
  2. 9

33.9%
  3. 8

32.3%
  4. 7

9.7%
  5. 6

1.6%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Which was almost certainly done on purpose

2. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I really dug this episode! The secret Imperial mountain base was giving me strong Mount Tantiss vibes. And with the new troopers and all the recent speculation about there being a loose adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy, I wondered if this was going to be something related to Thrawn or a Palpatine contingency plan. What we got wasn't as mind blowing, but it was still really cool. I'm loving the proto-stormtrooper designs!

Gregor was a pleasant surprise. I was running through possible clones who the fugitive could be and he wasn't even on my radar. My old problem of this show being the most interesting when the title characters aren't on screen didn't apply here because they are now getting involved in the more interesting stuff that they were previously separate from. It was also cool to finally see the V-Wings in action. The laser canon sound effect really drives home the idea that they are proto-TIE fighters.

And of course, ending the episode with the inevitable face-to-face confrontation between Crosshair and his old squad mates (or, in this case squad mate since it's only Hunter for now) is an intriguing hook for the next episode.

Freelancer257 and Sproj like this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It finally happened. 16 years of waiting elapsed, but my dreams are finally fulfilled...

V-Wings took part in an action scene...
    [​IMG]

THEY GOT TO FIRE THEIR GUNS! :D

Oh yes, the rest of the episode, good stuff. Tying things back into the Clone and Kamino arc plot made the infiltration feel a lot more weighty than some past episodes, appreciated. Also really liked the forest mountain crater base. Felt like something that took a huge advantage of the medium of animation to create an evocative scope :)

Wonder if the Bounty Hunters like Bane or Fennec will get reinvolved now we're into the season's endgame?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think they’ll come back next season

5. Commander DuctTape

Commander DuctTape Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2021
    So something that is not entirely clear to me is what Rampart and Crosshair mobilized every available trooper for. I doubt they knew in advance that the BB would attempt to bust out Gregor, and if they did, I'm pretty sure Gregor would have noticed if there was a sudden increase in the staffing of the base. This means that Rampart needed those soldiers somewhere else... but the question is, where?

Seerow likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am pretty sure they are just mobilizing them off the planet

MrDarth0 likes this.
  7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I said this in another thread It may be that Gregor was a trap not to catch The Bad Batch by themselves but a whole group of Rebel Terrorists. With the way, Rampart says he wishes CF99 were on the Empire's side. He and Crosshair may be aware that Rex's group exists. Maybe Rex was spotted on Bracca. They might have thought that was who sent The Bad Batch to break out Cham Syndulla. Which could conveniently leave Ord Mantell a safe place for them. I fully suspect the team minus Hunter will regroup at that same old bar.

It's worth noting that The Bad Batch is supposed to be more capable than an army so it may make sense to send way more troops than needed. Also, possible the Empire is mobilizing are to whatever Rex is in the middle of and there will be a C-plot to further divide the team. I recall Rebels where not once but twice the Empire pulled out of Lothal and showed up very quickly to try and curb stomp the heroes and their Rebel allies where they were hiding. Like, Echo could have to choose between Rex and Hunter. It's going to be interesting to see what shape the rest of the squad is going to be in the next episode.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Commander DuctTape likes this.
  8. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    So far it doesn't. And I keep hoping it stays that way[face_nail_biting]And we don't know how many trained recruits the Empire has so far. Or for how long they've been training them. Or even how much time has passed since ROTS...

Fanatics? Bit derogative aren't ya...

They're being mobilized to be moved off Kamino, not to go after BB. We're talking about millions of soldiers and child clones here, with thousands of ships. At this point, the clone army still is the Imperial Army without which the Empire would not be able to keep control of the galaxy.

They will either spread them across the galaxy to work as instructors and commanders, given their experience (the smart thing to do) or they'll mass decommission them (the stupid thing to do).

Commander DuctTape likes this.
  9. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Well, the word "fan" is short for "fanatic", so all of us are fanatics by definition. ;)

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It's interesting how in the last episode Tech was arguably the MVP with that flashbomb and here in this episode, he completely ****ed up when he tried to "redirect" the troops. I wonder if they'll do anything with that. Could also get some drama from Echo pushing them to do the extraction.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It’s worth pointing out that the clones aren’t completely loyal to the Empire, since at least some of the clones, according to Gregor, are deliberately training the Imperial stormtrooper Corp to suck.

Slater, Jedi Knight Fett and Sproj like this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I gave it an 8/10. I liked it better than the previous episode. My review was posted previously.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I gave this one a 10/10

14. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    A lot better episode this week than last week, once again I love the world building and the lore. I do wish they would give the bad batch characters more to do, although at least Echo got a little time to shine this week. eight out of ten for me

15. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    So far only very few clones deserted as far as we know. In an army of millions, that's always to be expected. And the ones that deserted that we know of were always either special forces or high ranking officers that had plenty of contact with the Jedi. The Jedi influence is showing there...

And I don't remember the clones being very effective or precise in the previous episodes when they were going against the BB. Or when they went after Ahsoka and Rex at the end of TCW...

Its just the magic of plot armor. In the OT-era, stormtroopers were the most elite fighting force in the galaxy. As long as they didn't go against the main characters of the story...

16. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I got major Galactic Battlegrounds flashbacks watching a gonk droid provide emergency power to restore the shields when you’re under attack. The end result was pretty similar to what happens when you try that too lol.

Freelancer257 likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I do hope gonky is okay

18. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    This was a really good episode. Loved that entire escape sequence as they were fighting their way out. The designs of the stormtroopers were neat as well. Kept reminding me of First Order troopers.

Even after discovering the Stormtoopers weren't clones, they still only used stun on them. A lot of honor in the bad batch.

Really eerie ending. Been enjoying this series much more than I expected.

Freelancer257 and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I noticed Crosshair went to see the captive without his rifle (know he has a pistol) but then there is no way he'd win one on one with anything against Hunter. Maybe he is just coming to talk or Crosshair is the type of guy who would fly all the way across the galaxy just to be a jerkass and troll someone.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I still have a really bad feeling that Crosshair is doing this all of his own free will

DarthRamRod likes this.
  21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I wonder where Hunter will be taken. Would say back to Kamino which would complicate the promise he made to Omega but that planet may be abandoned in short order.

Oh and Hunter did knee a Commando in the groin and toss him in front of friendly fire to be shot and fall. Reasonably brutal.

22. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    -Lama Su got a nice, possible final, scene. I just wish Taun We was given a similar treatment instead of getting replaced by Nala Se to watch over Omega. That should have been Taun We's role. Instead she was killed off off-screen, which was doing the character a great disservice, IMO. A real shame and just puzzling.

-I was surprised how Omega is now capable of piloting the shuttle. Probably an off-screen training, that might have been better shown in the series.

-I like the throwback sound effects like Anakin's Podracer engine starting up being used for the Batch's Shuttle or that the V-Wings have that sonic-engine sound that the ROTS Jedi Starfighters have.

-It's interesting that the BB is still making sure to stun their opponents. I wonder if that will change now that they know they're not their brothers.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m guessing Crosshair will want to use him to set a trap to catch the others

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    You do know what 'fan' is a shortened version of?

There are fanatics here funnily enough, in this Star Wars fan forum.... :rolleyes:

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Trace said otherwise in season 7 of TCW. Basic flying and even hovering just don't seem difficult with one of these ships. Showing us isn't the TCW way anyways and with the complaints of "filler", I'm not sure we needed to use time in an episode or a full episode on Omega learning to fly. Sure evading fighters like later seems like something that would take considerable skill and practice.

BTW, the take-off sequence standing back and looking out the windshield is just like being strapped in on Star Tours.

If they are going to attempt to brainwash Hunter, might have to take him elsewhere and let his location leak. He is most likely going to be bait unless Crosshair helps him right away which would be the least exciting thing to do.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021